Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 117

Thread: New York schools may close for Muslim holidays

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-08-13 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,114

    Re: New York schools may close for Muslim holidays

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    By closing down the schools over religious events you are in fact forcing others to register it as being significant. Not only that, you're stopping others from performing their labor due to the religious beliefs of others.
    a day off is a day off are you that week minded to allow others to make it significant in your mind
    Are you so full of hate that you cant stand giving others the chance to celebrate what you don't believe
    Last edited by trfjr; 10-19-13 at 01:31 PM.

  2. #12
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: New York schools may close for Muslim holidays

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrylek View Post
    How is this "mixing religion and state"?
    How are public schools funded?

    Schools will be simply closed on Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adha, to make things easier for the growing number of Muslim students.
    Why do they have to be closed? Parents can be allowed the option of not bringing kids to school.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #13
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: New York schools may close for Muslim holidays

    Quote Originally Posted by trfjr View Post
    a day off is a day off are you that week minded to allow others to make it significant in your mind
    Are you so full of hate that you cant stand seeing others have something you don't
    Spare me your fallacious arguments. My argument is that people can have their holidays - publicly funded schools shouldn't be closed in order to observe those holidays. Which is by far the most Libertarian argument on this thread.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  4. #14
    Guru
    Cyrylek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: New York schools may close for Muslim holidays

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    you're stopping others from performing their labor due to the religious beliefs of others.
    But the same objection can be made regarding every other holiday. I don't give a hoot about Labor Day, for example. Religious or not, every holiday is forcing some people who do not care for its significance to stop working. Should we scrap them all?

  5. #15
    Guru
    Cyrylek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: New York schools may close for Muslim holidays

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    How are public schools funded?.
    Irrelevant. No funds are being expended toward any religious goals in this case.



    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Why do they have to be closed? Parents can be allowed the option of not bringing kids to school.
    Parents are allowed that option on any day. They can homeschool, if they want. Why do Muslim students should miss an exam or a school play that may fall on one of these days?

  6. #16
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: New York schools may close for Muslim holidays

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrylek View Post
    But the same objection can be made regarding every other holiday.
    As labor day doesn't give one religious belief preference over another with publicly funded institutions, your argument is silly. Your argument is apples and oranges.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #17
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: New York schools may close for Muslim holidays

    This would definitely have gotten me to convert to islam. Anything for a day off high school.

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-08-13 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,114

    Re: New York schools may close for Muslim holidays

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Spare me your fallacious arguments. My argument is that people can have their holidays - publicly funded schools shouldn't be closed in order to observe those holidays. Which is by far the most Libertarian argument on this thread.
    so what is it costing you? is a school closing putting you out in any way? is it costing you money or time?
    all im seeing from you is the whining's of a little brat not wanting someone to have something you don't believe in

  9. #19
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: New York schools may close for Muslim holidays

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrylek View Post
    No funds are being expended toward any religious goals in this case.
    Funds being geared towards a religious goal is not the only part of separation of church and state. A state giving preference to some religious beliefs over others is a violation of that. - Should Catholics get a holiday for every Saint they want to celebrate?

    Parents are allowed that option on any day.
    Then they should exercise it on their religious holidays and not make everyone else stop their school work because of their kids.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #20
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: New York schools may close for Muslim holidays

    Quote Originally Posted by trfjr View Post
    so what is it costing you?
    Do you pay taxes? It doesn't sound as if you do. Tell me, if you pay taxes to fund schools and your kids get a day off every time somebody has a religious celebration, what exactly are you paying taxes for? I'll wait.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •