Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Results 111 to 117 of 117

Thread: New York schools may close for Muslim holidays

  1. #111
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: New York schools may close for Muslim holidays

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    Or you could make a lot of sacrifices. It's what I do, as the father of a single-income household. We have one car, don't go out very much, and keep the ordering out to a minimum. We read to our kids, and our eldest gets his nose lovingly strapped to the grindstone when there's homework to be done.

    If you can't figure out how participate in your child's education, you shouldn't have children -- teaching them is parental job #3, with #1 being safety and #2 being sustenance.
    People in poverty, you got to be kidding me. Clearly you have no concept of the working poor. And having a responsibility and being able to guarantee being able to meet it every single day of every single child, anymore, are two entirely different things. Even if they started out fine, all it takes is health issue, a job loss, an accident, a depression/recession in any combination or order, and bingo... now you can't now, you have to get many jobs because you're higher paying job is no longer available.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  2. #112
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: New York schools may close for Muslim holidays

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    People in poverty, you got to be kidding me. Clearly you have no concept of the working poor. And having a responsibility and being able to guarantee being able to meet it, anymore, are two entirely different things.
    I don't care how much money you have or don't have -- if you can't navigate the rock-bottom basic responsibilities, you shouldn't have or be able to keep your kids. Being a parent means doing at least the absolute bare minimum needed to raise your children into people (as a pose to feral humans), and if you can't fulfill that responsibility then you either shouldn't embrace or it should be taken from you.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  3. #113
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: New York schools may close for Muslim holidays

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    I don't care how much money you have or don't have -- if you can't navigate the rock-bottom basic responsibilities, you shouldn't have or be able to keep your kids. Being a parent means doing at least the absolute bare minimum needed to raise your children into people (as a pose to feral humans), and if you can't fulfill that responsibility then you either shouldn't embrace or it should be taken from you.
    You're not just asking them to be parents, you asking them to be education managers, that's the school's job. That's why we have schools, if parents, in general, had ever been qualified and shown any type of results when it came to education, we wouldn't have public schools in all developed nations. Please, y'know, deal with reality.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  4. #114
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: New York schools may close for Muslim holidays

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    You're not just asking them to be parents, you asking them to be education managers, that's the school's job. That's why we have schools, if parents, in general, had ever been qualified and shown any type of results when it came to education, we wouldn't have public schools in all developed nations. Please, y'know, deal with reality.
    I'm not expecting parents to be professional-grade teachers, that's why we have public schools to begin with rather than forcing everyone to home-school. We live in a specialized society, so I'm not expecting any one person is going to be able to do everything by themselves. Expecting parents to see to it that their kids have a roof over their heads one way or another is different than expecting every parent to be a professional builder of homes.

    I do think it's reasonable to expect parents to be aware of how their kids are doing, provide or find help for them as needed, and hold the school board responsible for the school's overall performance.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  5. #115
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: New York schools may close for Muslim holidays

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    I'm not expecting parents to be professional-grade teachers, that's why we have public schools to begin with rather than forcing everyone to home-school. We live in a specialized society, so I'm not expecting any one person is going to be able to do everything by themselves. Expecting parents to see to it that their kids have a roof over their heads one way or another is different than expecting every parent to be a professional builder of homes.

    I do think it's reasonable to expect parents to be aware of how their kids are doing, provide or find help for them as needed, and hold the school board responsible for the school's overall performance.
    Then we agree, I thought you were saying that parents should manage the kids under 7th grade who couldn't handle that which you were suggesting about schedules, and such. Being aware and influencing when required is different than managing it from K-7.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  6. #116
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: New York schools may close for Muslim holidays

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    Then we agree, I thought you were saying that parents should manage the kids under 7th grade who couldn't handle that which you were suggesting about schedules, and such. Being aware and influencing when required is different than managing it from K-7.
    Oh, no. No no no. We don't view our participation as a replacement for a professional teacher, but as an essential part of the overall education process. Neither of us are qualified to replace an appropriately accredited educator.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  7. #117
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: New York schools may close for Muslim holidays

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    Oh, no. No no no. We don't view our participation as a replacement for a professional teacher, but as an essential part of the overall education process. Neither of us are qualified to replace an appropriately accredited educator.
    Actually I home-schooled grades 5-8. My kids were going nuts waiting for everyone else, so I let them homeschool which also kept them out of school during the early drug introduction stages, that helped one of mine. Otherwise they both graduated high school with honors, my son was cum laude. So though I couldn't do all, I could've done k-9 without issue. After that, it gets more specialized and I probably couldn't be up on all the subjects.
    For clarity, my son was the one that didn't fully escape highschool drugs, and my daughter just finished her masters degree.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •