Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: India Arrests Crew of US Ship Carrying Weapons.....

  1. #11
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: India Arrests Crew of US Ship Carrying Weapons.....

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Yeah, I wouldn't consider it transporting weapons either. Plus making a big deal over 5000 rounds of ammo isn't a lot. Still the Captain insists they were in International Waters. Wonder if India attempted to inquire with our Embassy or are they just saying that because they got no word.
    I have more than 5,000 rounds, and nowhere near 35 weapons.

  2. #12
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-16 @ 07:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: India Arrests Crew of US Ship Carrying Weapons.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    Here's what the company is saying: Company Official Statement in PDF Document

    If this is accurate, it looks like it's what I thought, a whole lot of to do about nothing.
    Well, the pay off would certainly not be included in the official report. Wouldn't surprise me if that happened. There are many nations throughout the world who detaining ships with legitimate port state authority for pay offs. I asked a captain of a merchant ship once why they carried so much cash on board (had just received $25k from an armored car on the dock) and he said simply to pay off port state and customs authorities. The way I looked at him made him follow up with "and no, we're not doing anything illegal. Its just the way many countries operate."

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: India Arrests Crew of US Ship Carrying Weapons.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishstyx View Post
    Well, the pay off would certainly not be included in the official report. Wouldn't surprise me if that happened. There are many nations throughout the world who detaining ships with legitimate port state authority for pay offs. I asked a captain of a merchant ship once why they carried so much cash on board (had just received $25k from an armored car on the dock) and he said simply to pay off port state and customs authorities. The way I looked at him made him follow up with "and no, we're not doing anything illegal. Its just the way many countries operate."
    I seen that a Couple of times down on the Docks here.....I thought they were just paying the crew. Course that was off Lake Michigan.

  4. #14
    Sage
    RDS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Last Seen
    10-10-17 @ 05:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,398

    Re: India Arrests Crew of US Ship Carrying Weapons.....

    Would the US do the same if they were from a middle eastern country? My opinion is got to arrest all of them pending further investigations.

  5. #15
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: India Arrests Crew of US Ship Carrying Weapons.....

    They're engaged in private security operations for civilian vessels sailing thru pirate-infested waters... I say more power to 'em.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  6. #16
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:14 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,270

    Re: India Arrests Crew of US Ship Carrying Weapons.....

    If an American ship is traveling in waters with known pirate activity....they should travel armed...regardless of who actually owns the water. Our ships are OUR ships and should abide by OUR laws and protect themselves accordingly. If any nation has a problem with OUR ships protecting themselves against ARMED pirates...we have 11 aircraft carriers to assist them in making the RIGHT choice in stopping piracy.
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  7. #17
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: India Arrests Crew of US Ship Carrying Weapons.....

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Police in a southern Indian port city on Friday arrested the crew of a U.S.-owned ship on charges of illegally transporting weapons and ammunition in Indian waters.

    Eight crew and 25 security guards aboard the MV Seaman Guard Ohio were arrested after they failed to produce documents allowing them to carry the weapons, Foreign Secretary Sujata Singh told reporters.

    The ship is owned by Virginia-based security company AdvanFort but is registered in Sierra Leone. It was detained Oct. 12 and has been in Tuticorin port in Tamil Nadu state.

    The ship's captain told investigators that the company provides armed escorts to merchant vessels traveling in pirate-infested waters in the Indian Ocean.

    Police seized 35 automatic weapons and nearly 5,700 rounds of ammunition from the security guards on the ship, police said.

    The men were charged with illegal possession of weapons and ammunition and entering India's territorial waters without permission, Singh said.

    "The crew and security guards are cooperating with the investigators," she said, adding that information about the case had been shared with representatives from the U.S. Embassy in New Delhi.....snip~

    India arrests crew of US ship carrying weapons



    No word from our Embassy. According to the Captain.....they weren't in Indian Waters and that India's Coast Guard came to them and told them to follow them in. They say they are co-operating. Even had Indians as part of the Security Detail.
    35 weapons for 25 people does sound like perhaps being illegally armed, (not arguing anyone right to be armed, just if they didn't have the right docs, then illegally armed), but it does NOT sound like "transporting arms" which makes it sound more like they were trying to arm a group or something akin to that.

    Y'know if they didn't have the docs, then they didn't have the docs. It seems they knew they were going to be in Indian waters, and any security firm worth anything would have thought to get the right docs to be armed there.

    I don't see why they shouldn't be treated by India as any other illegally armed persons would be.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  8. #18
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: India Arrests Crew of US Ship Carrying Weapons.....

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    If an American ship is traveling in waters with known pirate activity....they should travel armed...regardless of who actually owns the water. Our ships are OUR ships and should abide by OUR laws and protect themselves accordingly. If any nation has a problem with OUR ships protecting themselves against ARMED pirates...we have 11 aircraft carriers to assist them in making the RIGHT choice in stopping piracy.
    Yeah, lets commit acts of war against nuclear powers, brilliant idea. Contrary to popular opinion, acting like a pathetically insecure bully to inflate your ego is not a sound basis for foreign policy.

  9. #19
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:14 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,270
    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    Yeah, lets commit acts of war against nuclear powers, brilliant idea. Contrary to popular opinion, acting like a pathetically insecure bully to inflate your ego is not a sound basis for foreign policy.
    Do you really think India would risk losing our business, let alone a nuclear war, with the United States over their obvious infringements on our vessels right to defense?

    Your policy of just ignoring the infringement and forcing our sailors to travel unarmed is sending sheep to a slaughter. It is a policy of appeasement and we know how that works don't we?
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  10. #20
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: India Arrests Crew of US Ship Carrying Weapons.....

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    Do you really think India would risk losing our business, let alone a nuclear war, with the United States over their obvious infringements on our vessels right to defense?

    Your policy of just ignoring the infringement and forcing our sailors to travel unarmed is sending sheep to a slaughter. It is a policy of appeasement and we know how that works don't we?
    You think it's okay for a busniess, the security company, to do business without filing any of the necessary docs to do that business. No one said they couldn't be armed, but they had to get docs filed. I would imagine we have similar rules about folks from foreign countries coming to our waters similarly armed.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •