Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3341424344 LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 440

Thread: The Republican civil war is just getting started

  1. #421
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,811

    Re: The Republican civil war is just getting started

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I don't tend to cater to the demands of posters whose posts are generally dishonest and fail to honestly address the issue
    In debate, when you make claims of fact, it is right and proper for others to ask you to support them with verifiable evidence. Why would you consistently eschew providing evidence for your claims and then even brag about it? How does that further debate?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  2. #422
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,811

    Re: The Republican civil war is just getting started

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    so you have abandoned the dishonest claim that FICA charges are part of the FEDERAL INCOME TAX and now saying it is really some kind of TAX.
    You have already been given plenty of verifiable evidence that FICA is indeed a tax. Why would you ask somebody if FICA is a tax when that is a well established fact?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FICA

    Federal Insurance Contributions Act tax
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA) tax /ˈfaɪkə/ is a United States Federal payroll (or employment) tax[1] imposed on both employees and employers to fund Social Security and Medicare[2] —federal programs that provide benefits for retirees, the disabled, and children of deceased workers. Social Security benefits include old-age, survivors, and disability insurance (OASDI); Medicare provides hospital insurance benefits for the elderly. The amount that one pays in payroll taxes throughout one's working career is associated indirectly with the social security benefits annuity that one receives as a retiree.

    and more

    http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/392

    Social Security payroll taxes are collected under the authority of the Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA). The payroll taxes are sometimes even called FICA taxes.
    and more

    http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc751.html

    The Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA) tax includes two separate taxes. One is social security tax and the other is Medicare tax. Different rates apply for each of these.

    The current tax rate for social security is 6.2% for the employer and 6.2% for the employee, or 12.4% total. The current rate for Medicare is 1.45% for the employer and 1.45% for the employee, or 2.9% total. Refer to Publication 15, (Circular E), Employer's Tax Guide, Chapter 6, for more information, or for agricultural employers refer to Publication 51, (Circular A), Agricultural Employer’s Tax Guide, Chapter 5.
    fact of life: FICA is a tax.
    Last edited by haymarket; 10-21-13 at 12:34 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  3. #423
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: The Republican civil war is just getting started

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    In debate, when you make claims of fact, it is right and proper for others to ask you to support them with verifiable evidence. Why would you consistently eschew providing evidence for your claims and then even brag about it? How does that further debate?
    Because, that's all he's got.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  4. #424
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,290

    Re: The Republican civil war is just getting started

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    The problem is the Tea Party movement was never about that. It was a direct reaction to Obama's election. They had no problem with growing debt for 30 years. They suddenly have a problem with it when Obama gets elected.
    You're wrong, it was a reaction to George Bush and all his spending.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  5. #425
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,024

    Re: The Republican civil war is just getting started

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    You're wrong, it was a reaction to George Bush and all his spending.
    Hahahaha sure. Where was the Tea Party in 2003?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #426
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,290

    Re: The Republican civil war is just getting started

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Hahahaha sure. Where was the Tea Party in 2003?
    The economic crisis happened in 2008-2009.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #427
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,376

    Re: The Republican civil war is just getting started

    Quote Originally Posted by Nynaeve Meara View Post
    Except I didn't? I specifically mentioned which study I was talking about, quoted from the study, and then showed you a graph relating modern day political figures. Don't blame me for your willful ignorance on a subject when I've given you all the information you need.
    You said "historians argue about who was more Liberal". Let's see that concensise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #428
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,024

    Re: The Republican civil war is just getting started

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    The economic crisis happened in 2008-2009.
    Ah, selective memory - it's too bad the interwebs is always here:

    Financial crisis of 2007

    Either way, what? Was spending only a problem after 2008?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #429
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:26 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,883

    Re: The Republican civil war is just getting started

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Ah, selective memory - it's too bad the interwebs is always here:

    Financial crisis of 2007

    Either way, what? Was spending only a problem after 2008?
    It spiked 5 % points of GDP after 2008 to 25%, and is at 23.9% as of last year. I believe the Post WWII norm is 19% of GDP.

    But math doesn't matter because the President is black.

  10. #430
    Advisor Nynaeve Meara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Malkier
    Last Seen
    11-05-13 @ 04:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    325

    Re: The Republican civil war is just getting started

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You said "historians argue about who was more Liberal". Let's see that concensise.
    Yes they do, its been between Lincoln and Washington since 1982 with occasional FDR and Adams thrown in there, not to mention Ben Franklin and etc.

    I already told you which study it was and you've decided to ignore it; that is OK.
    "I can't abide women who poke their noses into other people's business."
    “Men are strange. I think it has something to do with the hair on their chins.”

Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3341424344 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •