Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 249

Thread: Patients Pay Before Seeing Doctor as Deductibles Spread

  1. #221
    Sage
    reinoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,124
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Patients Pay Before Seeing Doctor as Deductibles Spread

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    I don't buy it. Sorry. Let's use this as an example. My primary doctor sees a patient every 15 minutes, for 8 hours a day. That's 32 patients a day. If she only saw Medicaid/Medicare/Tricare patients, at $115 a visit, she'd make $3,680 a day, or $110,400 a month, or $1.2 million a year. That's just for Medicaid/Medicare/Tricare. I'm certain she charges tiered rates for different insurances, cash pays, etc. Now I don't know what her office visit is, but my doctor before her charged $220 a visit in a tiny little hick town. I live in a coastal community where everything costs more, so who knows what she charges. But let's use my original amount. That's over a million dollars a year. Depending on what state you live in, your average medical malpractice rates are going to run you anywhere from $10,000 to $50,000 a year (unless you live in a really high cost state). She's still going to clear over $1.1 million a year. That's hardly a razor thin margin.
    Staff, lease, Equipment. As for the number of patients, I'd cut that in half. It takes longer than 15 minutes a patient, they may have to run minor tests, and for ****s sake they'll need breaks just to get away from bad customers. And again, these doctors have school loans that need to be paid off and some of them may even have families by the time they see their first patient.

    I don't know why you're doing your best to justify this fabulous wealthy doctor meme. That may have been a real thing in the 80's before medicare started cutting payments, but it's not a real thing now. The wealthy healthcare provider that you're looking for is the Pharmacist, not the Physician/General Practitioner.

    EDIT: BTW where are you getting this nonsense about $800 aspirin? Are you just making up crap?

  2. #222
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,706

    Re: Patients Pay Before Seeing Doctor as Deductibles Spread

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    That could be what he billed to the insurance company. The way the game works is this: If the visit actually cost $54, then you bill four times what you expect to get, and then settle for a 25% payment. If you only bill $54, expecting to get the whole thing, then you'll only get $13 and change and go out of business. That's why health care providers need people who specialize in prying money out of the government and insurance companies.
    That's not what Maggie said. She said that Medicare billed $129 and settled for $43 and the supplemental picked up the rest. So the doctor didn't get paid $13. They got paid $54. If her doctor sees patients like my doctor does (1 every 15 minutes), than that's still $600,000 year. Ain't nobody going broke making that kind of money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  3. #223
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Patients Pay Before Seeing Doctor as Deductibles Spread

    Quote Originally Posted by reinoe View Post
    Staff, lease, Equipment. As for the number of patients, I'd cut that in half. It takes longer than 15 minutes a patient, they may have to run minor tests, and for ****s sake they'll need breaks just to get away from bad customers. And again, these doctors have school loans that need to be paid off and some of them may even have families by the time they see their first patient.

    I don't know why you're doing your best to justify this fabulous wealthy doctor meme. That may have been a real thing in the 80's before medicare started cutting payments, but it's not a real thing now. The wealthy healthcare provider that you're looking for is the Pharmacist, not the Physician/General Practitioner.
    GP's on average make @ $180K, which puts that household in the top US quintile. If they own their own practice, they make much more.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  4. #224
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,706

    Re: Patients Pay Before Seeing Doctor as Deductibles Spread

    Quote Originally Posted by reinoe View Post
    Staff, lease, Equipment. As for the number of patients, I'd cut that in half. It takes longer than 15 minutes a patient, they may have to run minor tests, and for ****s sake they'll need breaks just to get away from bad customers. And again, these doctors have school loans that need to be paid off and some of them may even have families by the time they see their first patient.

    I don't know why you're doing your best to justify this fabulous wealthy doctor meme. That may have been a real thing in the 80's before medicare started cutting payments, but it's not a real thing now. The wealthy healthcare provider that you're looking for is the Pharmacist, not the Physician/General Practitioner.

    EDIT: BTW where are you getting this nonsense about $800 aspirin? Are you just making up crap?
    Excuse me while I don't grab a Kleenex, crying over the poor doctors who are going broke.

    As far as the $800 aspirin, I was stretching a bit, but my uncle did get charged $50 for an aspirin when he went into the hospital. Are you going to justify a $50 aspirin? A $25 aspirin? A $5 aspirin? Medical costs are out of control. That is no surprise. A bottle of aspirin costs like $3 for 50 aspirin.

    You live in Nevada - maybe you are justifying the doctors making so much money because they have to in Nevada. Nevada is one of the highest states out there for medical malpractice. Where a place like Minnesota might pay only $4,000 a year for malpractice insurance, Nevada could pay upwards of $200,000.

    Why is that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  5. #225
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Patients Pay Before Seeing Doctor as Deductibles Spread

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Excuse me while I don't grab a Kleenex, crying over the poor doctors who are going broke.

    As far as the $800 aspirin, I was stretching a bit, but my uncle did get charged $50 for an aspirin when he went into the hospital. Are you going to justify a $50 aspirin? A $25 aspirin? A $5 aspirin? Medical costs are out of control. That is no surprise. A bottle of aspirin costs like $3 for 50 aspirin.

    You live in Nevada - maybe you are justifying the doctors making so much money because they have to in Nevada. Nevada is one of the highest states out there for medical malpractice. Where a place like Minnesota might pay only $4,000 a year for malpractice insurance, Nevada could pay upwards of $200,000.

    Why is that?
    Because the trial lawyers in Nevada paid for the privilege.

    Thanks, Superfly. I learned something. I was shocked to see your $4,000 estimate for Minnesota; but further investigation shows you're correct. Wow.

  6. #226
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,706

    Re: Patients Pay Before Seeing Doctor as Deductibles Spread

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Because the trial lawyers in Nevada paid for the privilege.

    Thanks, Superfly. I learned something. I was shocked to see your $4,000 estimate for Minnesota; but further investigation shows you're correct. Wow.
    I was shocked at the difference, to be honest. Florida is the highest, even higher than Nevada. Scary. But not surprising. I've whined about this before, but along the same vein, my car insurance is so much higher living in Georgia. When I lived in Alabama, I paid $50 a month full coverage, for one car. When I moved to Georgia, that literally doubled to $100. Then I bought another new car and now I am paying $223 a month for car insurance, and I haven't had a wreck or ticket in 20 years. When I complained about it, I was told it's because of the drivers in Georgia, and the fact that people here wreck more often than other places.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  7. #227
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,803

    Re: Patients Pay Before Seeing Doctor as Deductibles Spread

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    That's the greedy ass doctor's fault. If he can take one patient for $115, he can take 20 patients at $115.
    No, he's got bills to pay too and when it costs a lot of doctors $100k a year for malpractice insurance, do you think they can tell their insurance company they're only willing to pay $50k? It doesn't work that way.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #228
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:35 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,942

    Re: Patients Pay Before Seeing Doctor as Deductibles Spread

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    So employers shouldn't be able to expense employee insurance? WTF.
    No. There should not be tax benefits for corporations to provide insurance.

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    Until ACA Insurance coverage had no requirements.
    Could you be more wrong? Who's talking out of their ass?

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    What shall we let people die in the streets? Walk around with infections and illnesses to infect the rest of us?
    Ace Ventua.jpg

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    The only medical malpractice regs have been in favor of lower pricing in that the only regs are to limit the ability of patients to sue and those are at the state level not federal.
    Doctors want medical billing companies, not the gov't, not regulated or required.
    You think doctors hire medical billing companies because they want to? Or is it because the medical billing process is a pain in the ass?

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    Doctors and patients want lawyers, not a regulation
    A person in a position is not a regulation
    People don't want to hire lawyers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    Medicare and medicaid actually keep prices down a bit, but I gather you're ignorant about that.
    Obamacare is yet to be determined but should help cut costs.
    Medicare and medicaid have contributed to the rising costs of health care.

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    As I said, talking out your ass. Everything you mention is either something wanted by docs, or simply makes sense (employer expensing expenses, there's not extra tax consideration, and not having poor people sick and dying in the streets)

    Ace Ventua.jpg

  9. #229
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Patients Pay Before Seeing Doctor as Deductibles Spread

    Quote Originally Posted by FederalRepublic View Post
    Regulations--Tax incentives for employer-based insurance, insurance coverage requirements, free treatment requirements at the ER, Medicare, Medicaid, Obamacare

    Layers--Medical malpractice, insurance companies, medical billing companies, lawyers, the secretary of health & human services, IPAB, Medicare, Medicaid, Obamacare.

    All of these are fairly obvious. Yeah, you can still go to a doctor and pay cash, but the damage has been done. The few who still do that aren't enough to control costs.
    People who are paying cash are paying more for their treatment than the insurance companies would reimburse. I guess you don't pay for your medical care in cash. I've done it, and unless I ran it through my insurance company? I was paying double.

  10. #230
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:35 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,942

    Re: Patients Pay Before Seeing Doctor as Deductibles Spread

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    People who are paying cash are paying more for their treatment than the insurance companies would reimburse. I guess you don't pay for your medical care in cash. I've done it, and unless I ran it through my insurance company? I was paying double.
    I've done both. Mine was within 10 or 15% of what the insurance company rate was. Nowhere near enough to cover my premium + deductible.

    Either way, the point is that most people don't shop for health care. If they did, prices would not be trending the way they are.
    Last edited by FederalRepublic; 10-18-13 at 04:15 PM.

Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •