Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 249

Thread: Patients Pay Before Seeing Doctor as Deductibles Spread

  1. #201
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Patients Pay Before Seeing Doctor as Deductibles Spread

    A lot of doctors already require payment at the time of service and have been doing so for awhile. An ER likely will not turn you away even if they do hound you throughout your visit. They are pretty pathetic about it. That said, you cannot repossess a service and medical bills are unsecured debt. I used to do collections work when I first started out. I mostly did consumer finance loans but also did some work for some doctors/dentists. The Hospital and I got to share a special assigned time on the docket every other week because the two of us would be there for a couple hours together every time just churning out stacks of judgments. I very seldom will work for someone without payment in advance unless they are known and reliable or are a business or government entity. Despite the stereotype otherwise, rich people are just as bad if not worse than poor people about not paying their bills.

  2. #202
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,562

    Re: Patients Pay Before Seeing Doctor as Deductibles Spread

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    Except for Medicare/Medicaid refusing to pay over a certain amount for procedures. Please don't just talk out of your ass, tell me where medical price regulations through the gov't exist. I await.
    Actually, I have Tricare Prime insurance, through the military. My husband is retired 20 years, a disabled vet, and we have good insurance. Thing is, though, some doctors won't accept Tricare prime. Reason being - Tricare cuts a swath across the country and finds out that the average doctor room visit is, say - $100. That's average. So Tricare tells any doctor that wants to accept their insurance that they will not pay more than 15% of that average amount. The doctor can accept the amount (no more than $115) or they can refuse to take Tricare patients. That's why Tricare patients cannot be charged significantly more than Tricare is willing to pay. The doctor can't say, "I charge $200 per office visit, and Tricare is only paying $115, so you have to pay the rest." Doesn't work that way with Tricare.

    Now I don't know a lot about insurance, granted. I'm pretty healthy, and always just took the insurance my company was offering until I married my husband and went on Tricare. Maybe all insurance companies act this way - I don't know. I just know how Tricare works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  3. #203
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: Patients Pay Before Seeing Doctor as Deductibles Spread

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Actually, I have Tricare Prime insurance, through the military. My husband is retired 20 years, a disabled vet, and we have good insurance. Thing is, though, some doctors won't accept Tricare prime. Reason being - Tricare cuts a swath across the country and finds out that the average doctor room visit is, say - $100. That's average. So Tricare tells any doctor that wants to accept their insurance that they will not pay more than 15% of that average amount. The doctor can accept the amount (no more than $115) or they can refuse to take Tricare patients. That's why Tricare patients cannot be charged significantly more than Tricare is willing to pay. The doctor can't say, "I charge $200 per office visit, and Tricare is only paying $115, so you have to pay the rest." Doesn't work that way with Tricare.

    Now I don't know a lot about insurance, granted. I'm pretty healthy, and always just took the insurance my company was offering until I married my husband and went on Tricare. Maybe all insurance companies act this way - I don't know. I just know how Tricare works.
    Yes, you're correct. Medicare, medicaid, and VA or military insurance all keep prices down. So that's supports the idea that free market doesn't, gov't does keep costs down. If every one is under the same restrictions on pricing, pricing would have to come down. So by opening up markets as they have done wherein costs are more controlled, we get closer to "all" and put the choices of physicians back in the hands of consumers. Between now and then, some physicians will be greedy. Sooner or later, they'll just not have enough high paying patients to go around and will have to accept in order to stay open.

    Don't know if that will pan out, but that's the idea, as I understand it.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  4. #204
    Sage
    reinoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,044
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Patients Pay Before Seeing Doctor as Deductibles Spread

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Actually, I have Tricare Prime insurance, through the military. My husband is retired 20 years, a disabled vet, and we have good insurance. Thing is, though, some doctors won't accept Tricare prime. Reason being - Tricare cuts a swath across the country and finds out that the average doctor room visit is, say - $100. That's average. So Tricare tells any doctor that wants to accept their insurance that they will not pay more than 15% of that average amount. The doctor can accept the amount (no more than $115) or they can refuse to take Tricare patients. That's why Tricare patients cannot be charged significantly more than Tricare is willing to pay. The doctor can't say, "I charge $200 per office visit, and Tricare is only paying $115, so you have to pay the rest." Doesn't work that way with Tricare.

    Now I don't know a lot about insurance, granted. I'm pretty healthy, and always just took the insurance my company was offering until I married my husband and went on Tricare. Maybe all insurance companies act this way - I don't know. I just know how Tricare works.
    No, most insurance companies don't work like Tricare. Tricare acts very similarly to Medicare, right down to that 115%

    For every patient that the hospital/doctor's accepts from Tricare/Medicare, the doctors have to charge other insurance companies more to pick up the slack. For example someone who's 50, on disability and has medicare will pay a $147 deductible. Someone not on medicare will pay a 5k deductible.

  5. #205
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,562

    Re: Patients Pay Before Seeing Doctor as Deductibles Spread

    Sounds good to me, Summerwind. Quality medical care shouldn't depend on how much money you can pay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  6. #206
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,562

    Re: Patients Pay Before Seeing Doctor as Deductibles Spread

    Quote Originally Posted by reinoe View Post
    No, most insurance companies don't work like Tricare. Tricare acts very similarly to Medicare, right down to that 115%

    For every patient that the hospital/doctor's accepts from Tricare/Medicare, the doctors have to charge other insurance companies more to pick up the slack. For example someone who's 50, on disability and has medicare will pay a $147 deductible. Someone not on medicare will pay a 5k deductible.
    That's the greedy ass doctor's fault. If he can take one patient for $115, he can take 20 patients at $115.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  7. #207
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Patients Pay Before Seeing Doctor as Deductibles Spread

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    Yes, you're correct. Medicare, medicaid, and VA or military insurance all keep prices down. So that's supports the idea that free market doesn't, gov't does keep costs down. If every one is under the same restrictions on pricing, pricing would have to come down. So by opening up markets as they have done wherein costs are more controlled, we get closer to "all" and put the choices of physicians back in the hands of consumers. Between now and then, some physicians will be greedy. Sooner or later, they'll just not have enough high paying patients to go around and will have to accept in order to stay open.

    Don't know if that will pan out, but that's the idea, as I understand it.
    The story goes that prior to Medicare, doctors drove Buicks. After Medicare, doctors drove Mercedes.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  8. #208
    Sage
    reinoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,044
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Patients Pay Before Seeing Doctor as Deductibles Spread

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    That's the greedy ass doctor's fault. If he can take one patient for $115, he can take 20 patients at $115.
    Well it's a tough position. It would be nice if health costs were cheaper, but if doctors have razor thin margins then you'll see an exodus from the field. A delicate balancing act and I don't fault the doctors who simply refuse to take medicare patients. I know they have 12+years of education plus loans that have to be paid off. I wouldn't call them greedy.

  9. #209
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: Patients Pay Before Seeing Doctor as Deductibles Spread

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    The story goes that prior to Medicare, doctors drove Buicks. After Medicare, doctors drove Mercedes.
    Well more people at less price. Seems there's lots of companies that think this is a good idea, why wouldn't it be for doctors. Of course, some will fight it, but hopefully........
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  10. #210
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: Patients Pay Before Seeing Doctor as Deductibles Spread

    Quote Originally Posted by reinoe View Post
    Well it's a tough position. It would be nice if health costs were cheaper, but if doctors have razor thin margins then you'll see an exodus from the field. A delicate balancing act and I don't fault the doctors who simply refuse to take medicare patients. I know they have 12+years of education plus loans that have to be paid off. I wouldn't call them greedy.
    Yeah, right... like they're all just one step away from razor thin margins. Hype much?
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •