Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 249

Thread: Patients Pay Before Seeing Doctor as Deductibles Spread

  1. #141
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,540

    Re: Patients Pay Before Seeing Doctor as Deductibles Spread

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    IBM had insurance with Kaiser that was supplemental to Medicare is the way I understand it and that is now gone. Their old doctors won't take them now without that separate IBM insurance so they have to look for new doctors. So much for " If you like your doctor keep him". This has been discussed in another thread though, I don't want to derail this one.
    I'm on Medicare and have Kaiser without any help from IBM or anyone else. Of course it's not free, but it is affordable. So much for not being able to keep Kaiser.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  2. #142
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Patients Pay Before Seeing Doctor as Deductibles Spread

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Obamacare is what enabled IBM and all these other big corps to do this and that is exactly what the so called crazy right wingers said would happen if obamacare passed. Dems call this an unintended consequence but if they knew it would happen was it really unintended?
    Sawyer, give it up. IBM was always free to drop that supplemental policy for their employers. It was (apparently) not part of their guarantee, but a very nice perk they were willing, up until now, to provide. Regardless, Obamacare had zero to do with IBM "being allowed" to drop that coverage.

  3. #143
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Patients Pay Before Seeing Doctor as Deductibles Spread

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    I'm on Medicare and have Kaiser without any help from IBM or anyone else. Of course it's not free, but it is affordable. So much for not being able to keep Kaiser.
    They can keep it but they now have to pay for it and they can't afford to do so.

  4. #144
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,540

    Re: Patients Pay Before Seeing Doctor as Deductibles Spread

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    They can keep it but they now have to pay for it and they can't afford to do so.
    apparently, IBM can't afford it, either.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  5. #145
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Patients Pay Before Seeing Doctor as Deductibles Spread

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Sawyer, give it up. IBM was always free to drop that supplemental policy for their employers. It was (apparently) not part of their guarantee, but a very nice perk they were willing, up until now, to provide. Regardless, Obamacare had zero to do with IBM "being allowed" to drop that coverage.
    "Let’s give credit where credit is due. Obamacare has undoubtedly accelerated interest in private exchanges by spurring investment and discussion of the public insurance exchanges mandated under the law. That’s the carrot, so to speak, attracting companies towards private exchanges.

    The “stick” is Obamacare’s “Cadillac Tax”, which will hammer companies with a 40 percent excise tax beginning in 2018 if their plans cost more than a fixed amount – an amount that is set to grow more slowly than medical inflation traditionally has. Combined, these forces are driving companies toward a “defined contribution” strategy where they will offer employees a set amount with which to shop for insurance through an online marketplace – an exchange. (The other alternative would be to just move your employees en masse into high deductible plans, perhaps while kicking in some money for an HSA.)

    Obamacare Is Killing Traditional Employer-Sponsored Health Insurance - Forbes

  6. #146
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Patients Pay Before Seeing Doctor as Deductibles Spread

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    "Let’s give credit where credit is due. Obamacare has undoubtedly accelerated interest in private exchanges by spurring investment and discussion of the public insurance exchanges mandated under the law. That’s the carrot, so to speak, attracting companies towards private exchanges.

    The “stick” is Obamacare’s “Cadillac Tax”, which will hammer companies with a 40 percent excise tax beginning in 2018 if their plans cost more than a fixed amount – an amount that is set to grow more slowly than medical inflation traditionally has. Combined, these forces are driving companies toward a “defined contribution” strategy where they will offer employees a set amount with which to shop for insurance through an online marketplace – an exchange. (The other alternative would be to just move your employees en masse into high deductible plans, perhaps while kicking in some money for an HSA.)

    Obamacare Is Killing Traditional Employer-Sponsored Health Insurance - Forbes
    Raising deductibles (Cadillac Plans always have low deductibles) is a way of controlling healthcare costs. If a consumer is paying the bill? The consumer will be more cost-efficient. If my deductible is $250? I'm going to hit the ER any time I choose. If the deductible is $1500? Notsomuch.

  7. #147
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,540

    Re: Patients Pay Before Seeing Doctor as Deductibles Spread

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    "Let’s give credit where credit is due. Obamacare has undoubtedly accelerated interest in private exchanges by spurring investment and discussion of the public insurance exchanges mandated under the law. That’s the carrot, so to speak, attracting companies towards private exchanges.

    The “stick” is Obamacare’s “Cadillac Tax”, which will hammer companies with a 40 percent excise tax beginning in 2018 if their plans cost more than a fixed amount – an amount that is set to grow more slowly than medical inflation traditionally has. Combined, these forces are driving companies toward a “defined contribution” strategy where they will offer employees a set amount with which to shop for insurance through an online marketplace – an exchange. (The other alternative would be to just move your employees en masse into high deductible plans, perhaps while kicking in some money for an HSA.)

    Obamacare Is Killing Traditional Employer-Sponsored Health Insurance - Forbes
    Wasn't retiree health insurance one of the perks that drove GM to near bankruptcy back in '08?
    And wasn't that retiree health insurance one of the examples that the anti union voices gave to show how unions were to blame for the economic woes of the auto industry?

    so, let's make sure that IBM doesn't have to take government bail outs.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  8. #148
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Patients Pay Before Seeing Doctor as Deductibles Spread

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Raising deductibles (Cadillac Plans always have low deductibles) is a way of controlling healthcare costs. If a consumer is paying the bill? The consumer will be more cost-efficient. If my deductible is $250? I'm going to hit the ER any time I choose. If the deductible is $1500? Notsomuch.
    You are tone deaf on this issue and reacting purely out of emotion because you want the plan to work so badly. I on the other hand hope it works because it is here but am looking at it logically and seeing a train wreck heading our way.

  9. #149
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Patients Pay Before Seeing Doctor as Deductibles Spread

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Wasn't retiree health insurance one of the perks that drove GM to near bankruptcy back in '08?
    And wasn't that retiree health insurance one of the examples that the anti union voices gave to show how unions were to blame for the economic woes of the auto industry?

    so, let's make sure that IBM doesn't have to take government bail outs.
    GM had a crappy product that could not compete and union benefits that dwarfed IBM. My mom worked there 20 years and gets $400.00 a month. Compare that to GM union retirement.

  10. #150
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Patients Pay Before Seeing Doctor as Deductibles Spread

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    I pay $30 at the HMO, and have for a couple of years now.
    That doesn't inspire me to go the the ER instead, no way.

    Health care is not free, never was, and never can be.
    The other problem with modern HMOs is that it can take months to get an appointment with your doctor and if you can't wait, they will specifically direct you to the ER. If I call my doctor today, I will not see him before 2014, I guarantee it.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •