Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 53

Thread: Most Exhaustive Compilation of GMO Studies Concludes... Safe... Duh

  1. #1
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Most Exhaustive Compilation of GMO Studies Concludes... Safe... Duh

    A group of Italian scientists has painstakingly compiled and summarized 1,783 studies about the safety (both in terms of health and environmental concerns) of GMO's. The conclusion? "The researchers couldn’t find a single credible example demonstrating that GM foods pose any harm to humans or animals. “The scientific research conducted so far has not detected any significant hazards directly connected with the use of genetically engineered crops,” the scientists concluded." Which shouldn't come as a surprise considering that every single international science body in the world has been saying for years. The scientific consensus behind the safety of GMO's is colossal.

    Can we finally discard this completely artificial phobia?


    2000+ Reasons Why GMOs Are Safe To Eat And Environmentally Sustainable - Forbes

  2. #2
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,371

    Re: Most Exhaustive Compilation of GMO Studies Concludes... Safe... Duh

    What about dependence, the chemical treadmill and ecology?

  3. #3
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,190

    Re: Most Exhaustive Compilation of GMO Studies Concludes... Safe... Duh

    It might be safe for humans but what about other animals and the ecosystem as whole.

  4. #4
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:44 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: Most Exhaustive Compilation of GMO Studies Concludes... Safe... Duh

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    A group of Italian scientists has painstakingly compiled and summarized 1,783 studies about the safety (both in terms of health and environmental concerns) of GMO's. The conclusion? "The researchers couldn’t find a single credible example demonstrating that GM foods pose any harm to humans or animals. “The scientific research conducted so far has not detected any significant hazards directly connected with the use of genetically engineered crops,” the scientists concluded." Which shouldn't come as a surprise considering that every single international science body in the world has been saying for years. The scientific consensus behind the safety of GMO's is colossal.

    Can we finally discard this completely artificial phobia?


    2000+ Reasons Why GMOs Are Safe To Eat And Environmentally Sustainable - Forbes
    I agree with that, I also think that GMO's should be labled as such. Or at the very minimum, non-GMO'd food shoud be able to get a label.

    Leave the safety of the food out of the discussion, there are still reasons why someone may not want to support GMO'd food. Regardless of the rational, they deserve the freedom to make that choice for themselves. You should have the right to know where your food comes from.

  5. #5
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Most Exhaustive Compilation of GMO Studies Concludes... Safe... Duh

    Quote Originally Posted by Carjosse View Post
    It might be safe for humans but what about other animals and the ecosystem as whole.
    Environmental review was and is covered in these studies and by international scientific and regulatory bodies.

  6. #6
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Most Exhaustive Compilation of GMO Studies Concludes... Safe... Duh

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    What about dependence, the chemical treadmill and ecology?
    The chemical treadmill is a poor argument though. It's logical conclusion would be to cease the usage of everything from anti-biotics to pesticides on the presumption that resistance will build up. The answer is continued technological development that includes novel or more sophisticated gene modifications, new delivery systems for anti-biotics, or new methods entirely. At present we are hardly in the midst of a crisis yet research on the next iteration continues.

  7. #7
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,366

    Re: Most Exhaustive Compilation of GMO Studies Concludes... Safe... Duh

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    A group of Italian scientists has painstakingly compiled and summarized 1,783 studies about the safety (both in terms of health and environmental concerns) of GMO's. The conclusion? "The researchers couldn’t find a single credible example demonstrating that GM foods pose any harm to humans or animals. “The scientific research conducted so far has not detected any significant hazards directly connected with the use of genetically engineered crops,” the scientists concluded." Which shouldn't come as a surprise considering that every single international science body in the world has been saying for years. The scientific consensus behind the safety of GMO's is colossal.

    Can we finally discard this completely artificial phobia?


    2000+ Reasons Why GMOs Are Safe To Eat And Environmentally Sustainable - Forbes
    The joke is that we have been genetically modifying or crops since the beginning of agriculture. That's what hybridizing is. The idea that a new method of making hybrids is inherently dangerous to our heath is pretty foolish. Genetically engineered biological WEAPONS is another story entirely.
    The development of rice that produces vitamin A has the potential of eliminating deficiency caused blindness in millions of 3rd world children. It is not a biological weapon.

  8. #8
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Most Exhaustive Compilation of GMO Studies Concludes... Safe... Duh

    Quote Originally Posted by Mithros View Post
    I agree with that, I also think that GMO's should be labled as such. Or at the very minimum, non-GMO'd food shoud be able to get a label.

    Leave the safety of the food out of the discussion, there are still reasons why someone may not want to support GMO'd food. Regardless of the rational, they deserve the freedom to make that choice for themselves. You should have the right to know where your food comes from.
    The prime reason we oppose GM labeling is because it is being pushed as a method for fear mongering. It is an effort to drive consumers away from GM foods by labeling and otherizing a product that is too complex to be understood quickly. Similar efforts in Europe were devastating.

  9. #9
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Most Exhaustive Compilation of GMO Studies Concludes... Safe... Duh

    What about the radical increase in gluten in wheat and the corresponding rise worldwide in gluten allergy?

  10. #10
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,371

    Re: Most Exhaustive Compilation of GMO Studies Concludes... Safe... Duh

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    The chemical treadmill is a poor argument though. It's logical conclusion would be to cease the usage of everything from anti-biotics to pesticides on the presumption that resistance will build up. The answer is continued technological development that includes novel or more sophisticated gene modifications, new delivery systems for anti-biotics, or new methods entirely. At present we are hardly in the midst of a crisis yet research on the next iteration continues.
    The chemical treadmill argument is not so much about resistance, it's about chemical dependence, the degradation of soil and ecology and the loss of farm independence. Further, while new chemicals may replace old ones, they will not reverse the damage done or dependence created.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •