Page 40 of 45 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 447

Thread: Food stamp glitch leads to Wal-Mart stampede[W:236]

  1. #391
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Food stamp glitch leads to Wal-Mart stampede

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    If this is the system the greatest country in the world had devised, God help all of you because you're run by simpletons and idiots.
    It's the same premise as credit cards, bank cards, gift cards, etc. With a "gift card" style system, the funds are just tied directly to the card, as opposed to an account, that the card gives you access to

  2. #392
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,189

    Re: Food stamp glitch leads to Wal-Mart stampede

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    that's how it works on most any card system. A charge is submitted to the entity managing the funds for the system by the retailer. the retailer later reimburses them.


    That is why and how you can dispute something on your credit card. Walmart doesn't magically reach nto an account and take money out
    Again, I'll say your country must be living in the dark ages if this is true - I just don't believe it.

    When a cash or debit card is used here - remember, we're not talking about credit cards - once the transaction is authorized at source, the authorizing agent has committed to the transaction and the retailer has funds deposited into their accounts - it is instantaneous - it's called electronic commerce and banking - you guys should try modern technology sometime.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  3. #393
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Food stamp glitch leads to Wal-Mart stampede

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    And if Wal Mart had not processed the transactions they would have been accused of starving the poor.
    Or they should have allowed what they agreed to in their contract with the EBT provider, "$50 emergency". That is what they will be reimbursed. The rest is on them.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #394
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,189

    Re: Food stamp glitch leads to Wal-Mart stampede

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Or they should have allowed what they agreed to in their contract with the EBT provider, "$50 emergency". That is what they will be reimbursed. The rest is on them.
    The question - which I haven't seen adequately challenged - is did the EBT card system authorize the purchases? From my reading, the system did accept the cards and approve the purchases - the glitch was that the system wasn't providing any balance restrictions.

    Your argument would be valid if the cards were not being accepted, if the system was shut down, and the "emergency" fund system was in place. That is not what happened, as I understand it.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  5. #395
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,845
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Food stamp glitch leads to Wal-Mart stampede

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Or they should have allowed what they agreed to in their contract with the EBT provider, "$50 emergency". That is what they will be reimbursed. The rest is on them.
    OK. They make out on the PR front regardless.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  6. #396
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Food stamp glitch leads to Wal-Mart stampede

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    The question - which I haven't seen adequately challenged - is did the EBT card system authorize the purchases? From my reading, the system did accept the cards and approve the purchases - the glitch was that the system wasn't providing any balance restrictions.

    Your argument would be valid if the cards were not being accepted, if the system was shut down, and the "emergency" fund system was in place. That is not what happened, as I understand it.
    No, it didn't. That simply isn't how the system works. It works where the card is accepted if the system sees that the funds are there.

    In fact, this is the same way that someone could overdraft their checking account using their debit card. If you authorize too many purchases within too short of a time span, then you can use funds not in there because the systems haven't caught up to your purchases yet.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #397
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Food stamp glitch leads to Wal-Mart stampede

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    OK. They make out on the PR front regardless.
    I agree, to a point. It depends on how they handle it from here. I don't see this being a big PR negative for WalMart, specifically if they don't turn on what they have already been saying, that it was "the right thing to do". There legal recourse is to go after the customers, which would be legal, but then that would make them look hypocritical. If they go after the government or Xerox, they will in all likelihood lose and it will look bad for them. If they suck up the small losses (from what I'm reading, not even a million), they will look good to their biggest business, the poorest people. Now, for a while they may look bad to middle class, but it won't last long, provided they allow this to pass.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #398
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,189

    Re: Food stamp glitch leads to Wal-Mart stampede

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    No, it didn't. That simply isn't how the system works. It works where the card is accepted if the system sees that the funds are there.

    In fact, this is the same way that someone could overdraft their checking account using their debit card. If you authorize too many purchases within too short of a time span, then you can use funds not in there because the systems haven't caught up to your purchases yet.
    Again - on what backward planet?

    Every electonic banking and/or credit/debit system in effect here in Canada functions instantaneously. Unless you have overdraft protection, you cannot purchase more on your debit card than you have cash in your account - and that is instantaneous. If you make a purchase on debit and then go to the ATM to make a withdrawal, your account balance available reflects the debit purchase you just made minutes ago.

    I cannot believe that the greatest economy in the world, the greatest company in the world, is so technology dense.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  9. #399
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Food stamp glitch leads to Wal-Mart stampede

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Again - on what backward planet?

    Every electonic banking and/or credit/debit system in effect here in Canada functions instantaneously. Unless you have overdraft protection, you cannot purchase more on your debit card than you have cash in your account - and that is instantaneous. If you make a purchase on debit and then go to the ATM to make a withdrawal, your account balance available reflects the debit purchase you just made minutes ago.

    I cannot believe that the greatest economy in the world, the greatest company in the world, is so technology dense.
    that's because your bank has put a hold on those funds, which is not the same as fully authorizing and transfering them. if you look closely at most online banking systems there will be listed a "balance" and an "available balance". The available balance is what the bank has calculated is usable by you, minus what is tied up in various transactions waiting full authorization. Your balance are those combined

  10. #400
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Food stamp glitch leads to Wal-Mart stampede

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Again - on what backward planet?

    Every electonic banking and/or credit/debit system in effect here in Canada functions instantaneously. Unless you have overdraft protection, you cannot purchase more on your debit card than you have cash in your account - and that is instantaneous. If you make a purchase on debit and then go to the ATM to make a withdrawal, your account balance available reflects the debit purchase you just made minutes ago.

    I cannot believe that the greatest economy in the world, the greatest company in the world, is so technology dense.
    Another thing is that although the numbers show as taken from your account, that doesn't mean they show as being given to the account of the retailer. This is especially true for something like EBT, where it involves government bureaucracy. It isn't a straight account to account transfer because they have to ensure that the retailer was only authorizing purchases allowed, in general meaning food when talking about EBT/SNAP. Although the system isn't supposed to authorize any other purchases, that doesn't mean it can't screw up.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 40 of 45 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •