Page 37 of 45 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 447

Thread: Food stamp glitch leads to Wal-Mart stampede[W:236]

  1. #361
    Weekend Political Pundit
    Bob N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 11:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,821

    Re: Walmart shelves in Springhill, Mansfield, cleared in EBT glitch

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Oh yeah, that's exactly the same thing.
    Now you are getting it.
    "The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations." `Thomas Jefferson

  2. #362
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Food stamp glitch leads to Wal-Mart stampede

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Two points:

    1. So you believe that Walmart should have access to the personal information of all EBT customers so they know ahead of time what each EBT customer's personal available balance is at any given time before they process a sale
    That is exactly how it currently works. It's operates like a gift card.

  3. #363
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Food stamp glitch leads to Wal-Mart stampede

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    That's news to me - you're saying that Walmart had easy reference to the available balance through the system - is that your contention?
    Yes, it's exactly what I have been telling you for two days

    If so, why didn't XEROX close down the system if there was an error?
    Who knows. But this is akin to arguing it's ok to loot someone's home because their doorknob is busted and they are not home to properly secure it. The argument is absurd on it's face.

    Why was it still accepting cards and presumably balance enquiries as you claim when the system had a problem.
    Doesn't matter why. What matters is that walmart had full knowlege the system was not working properly, but still processed the transactions on their end. Just like it doesn't matter if someone steals your car because it wasn't locked





    Regardless of what happened, the onus still remains on the principals in the matter - the dishonest thieves who continued to rack up sales they didn't deserve.
    and the entity that actively facilitated the crime for personal gain

  4. #364
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,862
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Food stamp glitch leads to Wal-Mart stampede

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    Yes, it's exactly what I have been telling you for two days



    Who knows. But this is akin to arguing it's ok to loot someone's home because their doorknob is busted and they are not home to properly secure it. The argument is absurd on it's face.



    Doesn't matter why. What matters is that walmart had full knowlege the system was not working properly, but still processed the transactions on their end. Just like it doesn't matter if someone steals your car because it wasn't locked







    and the entity that actively facilitated the crime for personal gain
    And if Wal Mart had not processed the transactions they would have been accused of starving the poor.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  5. #365
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Food stamp glitch leads to Wal-Mart stampede

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    And if Wal Mart had not processed the transactions they would have been accused of starving the poor.
    lol, I love how you guys cry "personal responsibility" then remove it from the decision process of Walmart. As if them or any other store ever had issue turning people away before. It was their decision to carry on with the transactions. No one forced them to do such

    Talk about special pleading

  6. #366
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,862
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Food stamp glitch leads to Wal-Mart stampede

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    lol, I love how you guys cry "personal responsibility" then remove it from the decision process of Walmart. As if them or any other store ever had issue turning people away before. It was their decision to carry on with the transactions. No one forced them to do such

    Talk about special pleading
    No special pleading here. Just recognition of social/political reality. I noted in the story that WalMart hqs gave the go ahead. That was no doubt a PR decision. The money involved is peanuts to WalMart. Better to have this story on the news rather than a story about stingy WalMart. They made a rational decision in a no-win situation.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  7. #367
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Food stamp glitch leads to Wal-Mart stampede

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    No special pleading here.
    That is exactly what it is. You are arguing for a standard to be applied to the welfare moops who tried to exploit a system failure for personal gain, but plead that such standards should not apply to Walmart, even though they also tried to exploit the failure for personal gain, while lacking any real basis to make such a distinction on.

    That is the very definition of "special pleading"


    Just recognition of social/political reality. I noted in the story that WalMart hqs gave the go ahead. That was no doubt a PR decision. The money involved is peanuts to WalMart.
    I doubt they were really concerned about PR, being that every other walmart shut down sales and they have no issue with turning away people in any other circumstance

    Better to have this story on the news rather than a story about stingy WalMart. They made a rational decision in a no-win situation.
    oh poor victim walmart who lacks any ability to exercise personal responsibility . Maybe you should call them up and make a donation.

  8. #368
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,862
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Food stamp glitch leads to Wal-Mart stampede

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    That is exactly what it is. You are arguing for a standard to be applied to the welfare moops who tried to exploit a system failure for personal gain, but plead that such standards should not apply to Walmart, even though they also tried to exploit the failure for personal gain, while lacking any real basis to make such a distinction on.

    That is the very definition of "special pleading"




    I doubt they were really concerned about PR, being that every other walmart shut down sales and they have no issue with turning away people in any other circumstance



    oh poor victim walmart who lacks any ability to exercise personal responsibility . Maybe you should call them up and make a donation.
    You are being quite obtuse. My point is that the money lost is nothing to WalMart compared to the positive PR. WalMart won. They need no help from me or anyone else.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  9. #369
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Food stamp glitch leads to Wal-Mart stampede

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    You are being quite obtuse. My point is that the money lost is nothing to WalMart compared to the positive PR. WalMart won. They need no help from me or anyone else.
    it may be nothing, but the fact they are trying to challenge it speaks to the fact they are not happy about it, and their general conduct surrounding the situation has hardly painted them in a positive light. The most that would be accomplished by eating the loss is not making them look any worse

  10. #370
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,189

    Re: Food stamp glitch leads to Wal-Mart stampede

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    Yes, it's exactly what I have been telling you for two days



    Who knows. But this is akin to arguing it's ok to loot someone's home because their doorknob is busted and they are not home to properly secure it. The argument is absurd on it's face.



    Doesn't matter why. What matters is that walmart had full knowlege the system was not working properly, but still processed the transactions on their end. Just like it doesn't matter if someone steals your car because it wasn't locked







    and the entity that actively facilitated the crime for personal gain
    So let's recap.

    You have just stated that yes, you've been telling me for two days, that Walmart had access to available balances through the system and yet the whole problem seems to be that the system wasn't registering/recognizing available balances and were, in effect, unlimited. So it's your contention that Walmart had more knowledge related to the EBT system than the company contracted by the government to manage the system, correct? Again, news to me and I'd like you to identify the source you're relying upon to make that contention.

    You deny that the system was working sufficiently that Walmart was able to access the system with the EBT cards and the system was authorizing the purchase but it wasn't providing an available balance before or after the purchase, correct? But you contend that Walmart, somehow miraculously, knew what everyone's available balance was and you agree with those who have claimed that Walmart was approving purchases without the EBT system authorization, correct? Again, I'd appreciate your proof of such a conflicting scenario.

    You confirm you have no idea why XEROX did not shut the system down, correct? Would you also confirm or do you dispute that XEROX, as the contractor/agent engaged by the government, has sole responsibility for managing the issuance of cards, maintaining and issuing balances, and authorizing purchases using the EBT cards based on balances and payments authorized by the government agency that contracted their services?

    Do you confirm or deny that Walmart's responsibility in the system is to 1) accept cards as legal tender for payment of purchases 2) confirm through the XEROX managed system that purchases are authorized and 3) issue a receipt that provides information from the XEROX system itemizing the purchases made during the transaction, the total expenditure related to those purchases and the balance remaining available on the EBT card so the customer is duly informed?

    Do you have any knowledge to deny that Walmart performed their functions as listed above fully and in compliance with their contractural agreement under the system?
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

Page 37 of 45 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •