Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 447

Thread: Food stamp glitch leads to Wal-Mart stampede[W:236]

  1. #21
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,399

    Re: Food stamp glitch leads to Wal-Mart stampede

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Honestly, although the people are not blameless here, Walmart is much more responsible after they realized there was no limit and still allowed it to happen. The government should hold WalMart responsible for any overcharges.

    The businesses around here put up signs to apologize and say that they simply couldn't accept EBT due to a system problem and that is what WalMart should have done, unless they are willing to cover the additional costs.
    Those people stole YOUR money. They're totally to blame.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #22
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: Food stamp glitch leads to Wal-Mart stampede

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    What was Wal-Mart supposed to do? Cut them off? There would have been a riot!
    There are options...

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...post1062423287
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  3. #23
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:35 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,942

    Re: Food stamp glitch leads to Wal-Mart stampede

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    Starve to death.... geez you folks are all about illogical and irrational and hysterical and drama queen quality hype.
    Exactly. See below for additional examples.

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    Haven't you learned yet, it's never a corporation's fault, it's ALWAYS either the government or the little people or both. Never our corporate overlords. Facism, Communism, Socialism, all wrong in their attempts to tag Obama, or Democrats, or Republicans,.. what we have here and pretty much globally is an oligarchy.

  4. #24
    Guru
    BWG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    South Coast
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 11:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,203

    Re: Food stamp glitch leads to Wal-Mart stampede

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Honestly, although the people are not blameless here, Walmart is much more responsible after they realized there was no limit and still allowed it to happen. The government should hold WalMart responsible for any overcharges.

    The businesses around here put up signs to apologize and say that they simply couldn't accept EBT due to a system problem and that is what WalMart should have done, unless they are willing to cover the additional costs.
    (To the bolded) Exactly. It was only for two hours (yes, I know they didn't know that at the beginning), but even if it had lasted longer no one was going to starve.

    And why did the store manager have to call corporate? In any business, other than a two-bit operation, the store manager should have had the authority and competency to make the decision to temporarily suspend the use of the cards.

    This doesn't excuse the people who abused the situation, they knew that what they were doing was wrong.
    “We just simply don’t know how to govern” - Rep. Steve Womack (R-AR) a member of the House Budget Committee

  5. #25
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,670

    Re: Food stamp glitch leads to Wal-Mart stampede

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    WalMart is as guilty as the people.
    "Lynd explained the cards weren't showing limits and they called corporate Wal-Mart, whose spokesman said to let the people use the cards anyway."
    Yes. Its WalMarts fault for allowing poor people to buy food for their family and THATS what caused everyone to spread the word and make a run on Walmart stealing shopping carts full of food they knew they couldnt afford.

  6. #26
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: Food stamp glitch leads to Wal-Mart stampede

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    Failing to recognize the historical effect Walmart has had on people needing welfare and subsidies in a reflection on you, not me.
    I've failed to recognize nothing. It takes two to tango. The public is effectively voting for Walmart by shopping there. Hating exclusively on Walmart is like hating Congress while failing to recognize that Americans reelect somewhere around 90% of its encumbents. Cognitive dissonance, anyone?

    Even more amazing is that this sort of error is exactly what a lot of demand-side liberals are vocally advocating in economics discussions. Government should stimulate the economy by pumping cash toward the poor, which they say makes them better off while boosting demand, which is the wellspring of all good economic things.

    And then this news comes out and they not only get pissed, but they get pissed at Walmart! Unreal.
    Last edited by Neomalthusian; 10-14-13 at 04:56 PM.

  7. #27
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: Food stamp glitch leads to Wal-Mart stampede

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    I've failed to recognize nothing. It takes two to tango. The public is effectively voting for Walmart by shopping there. Hating exclusively on Walmart is like hating Congress while failing to recognize that Americans reelect somewhere around 90% of its encumbents. Cognitive dissonance, anyone?
    You Ass-U-med that there is exclusive hate. First of all it isn't exclusive, and second of all it isn't hate. Since you do such a poor job of representing my position, please don't do it.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  8. #28
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: Food stamp glitch leads to Wal-Mart stampede

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    You Ass-U-med that there is exclusive hate. First of all it isn't exclusive, and second of all it isn't hate. Since you do such a poor job of representing my position, please don't do it.
    You're backpedaling now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    Haven't you learned yet, it's never a corporation's fault, it's ALWAYS either the government or the little people or both. Never our corporate overlords.
    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    However I do have to say that my schadenfreude is all lit up and glittering just knowing that WalMart is going to get screwed on those balances. If it's REAL bad, then it indicates that associates (employees) as well as customers must have spread the word pretty quickly. More power to 'em, I say, WalMart deserves to be screwed by both.
    It's an inconsistent position to want Walmart to be screwed over without therefore wanting its employees and its customers to be screwed over by extension. They're all engaging in business with one another regularly. Similarly, it is inconsistent to despise Walmart for being a cost-cutter when that's precisely what its shoppers are doing by walking in the door.

  9. #29
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: Food stamp glitch leads to Wal-Mart stampede

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    You're backpedaling now.





    It's an inconsistent position to want Walmart to be screwed over without therefore wanting its employees and its customers to be screwed over by extension. They're all engaging in business with one another regularly. Similarly, it is inconsistent to despise Walmart for being a cost-cutter when that's precisely what its shoppers are doing by walking in the door.
    By it's own nature, schadenfreude lacks consistency, fairness, or anything else. Hence why I prefaced my remarks thusly.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  10. #30
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Food stamp glitch leads to Wal-Mart stampede

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Those people stole YOUR money. They're totally to blame.
    They are not. They were doing what desperate people do especially when given an opportunity to do so. WalMart provided them with that opportunity. WalMart bears a majority of the blame here.

    They could have done exactly what other stores did do, cut them off. The stores in my area put up signs saying they were sorry but they could not accept EBT. Funny, there was no riot or anything here.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •