Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 164

Thread: Utah national parks to open Saturday with state aid

  1. #21
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,022

    Re: Utah national parks to open Saturday with state aid

    Quote Originally Posted by Republic Now! View Post
    I haven't done much research on the issue but I find it hard to believe states couldn't find some way to raise revenue for it.

    Even if the federal government MUST maintain wildfire suppression infrastructure, that doesn't mean they have to actually own and manage all aspects of the land.
    States provide fire protection for lands they manage.
    Feds do for lands they manage.
    Cooperative agreements exist. Cost agreements are generally set so State pays for use of Federal resources. Feds pay for use of State/local resources. Fires involving multiple land ownership, cost sharing is generally broken down by percent ownership of the fire boundaries.
    Yes, States can apply for federal disaster aid.

    My point, as it exists today if the States took over the management of federal lands, the State would assume the protection costs.

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Utah national parks to open Saturday with state aid

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    States provide fire protection for lands they manage.
    Feds do for lands they manage.
    Cooperative agreements exist. Cost agreements are generally set so State pays for use of Federal resources. Feds pay for use of State/local resources. Fires involving multiple land ownership, cost sharing is generally broken down by percent ownership of the fire boundaries.
    Yes, States can apply for federal disaster aid.

    My point, as it exists today if the States took over the management of federal lands, the State would assume the protection costs.
    Here's a broadcast of what they did to foreign tourists. It's a disgrace to the American people.

    America, Your Vacation Wonderland! | National Review Online

  3. #23
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:24 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,467

    Re: Utah national parks to open Saturday with state aid

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    considering that some states take more federal money in than they pay back in federal taxes, without the federal governments charity some states would break down entirely. Utah is one of those states
    I don't think Utah takes more than it's share in Federal money, nor would it break down. The LDS are too organized to let that happen.


    Btw, over 3/4 of Utah is Federal BLM land. In fact, most of the west is Federal BLM land.



  4. #24
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,462

    Re: Utah national parks to open Saturday with state aid

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    I don't think Utah takes more than it's share in Federal money, nor would it break down. The LDS are too organized to let that happen.


    Btw, over 3/4 of Utah is Federal BLM land. In fact, most of the west is Federal BLM land.


    BLM stands for Bureau of Land Managment.

    The states can manage that land just as well and probably better as locals will have more of a stake in managing it.

  5. #25
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:24 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,467

    Re: Utah national parks to open Saturday with state aid

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    BLM stands for Bureau of Land Managment.

    The states can manage that land just as well and probably better as locals will have more of a stake in managing it.
    The states would tear down paradise and put up a parking lot.

  6. #26
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,217

    Re: Utah national parks to open Saturday with state aid

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    I don't think Utah takes more than it's share in Federal money, nor would it break down. The LDS are too organized to let that happen.


    Btw, over 3/4 of Utah is Federal BLM land. In fact, most of the west is Federal BLM land.


    If the federal government ever collapses and there is chaos, anarchy, and violence pretty much most place in the U.S., the LDS areas likely will be an oasis of peace and civilization. LDS communities are extremely well organized.

  7. #27
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,217

    Re: Utah national parks to open Saturday with state aid

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    The states would tear down paradise and put up a parking lot.
    Yep. I don't see how anyone who lives in the Utah Valley is not a borderline tree hugger. I lived there two years and for someone who loves outdoor sports it was like paradise.

  8. #28
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:24 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,467

    Re: Utah national parks to open Saturday with state aid

    Quote Originally Posted by laska View Post
    If the federal government ever collapses and there is chaos, anarchy, and violence pretty much most place in the U.S., the LDS areas likely will be an oasis of peace and civilization. LDS communities are extremely well organized.
    The LDS plan for the worst and hope for the best. They sure are busy little bees. lol

    Yep. I don't see how anyone who lives in the Utah Valley is not a borderline tree hugger. I lived there two years and for someone who loves outdoor sports it was like paradise.
    Utah does have some beautiful landscapes, thats for sure. The problem with the state controling so much wilderness is they don't have the funding to adequately manage it or the incentive to clean up the mess after an oil or mining company destroys the land. For instance, there's still a mountain of uranium mine tailings from the 1950s sitting there on the banks of the Colorado River near Moab. Thats how the state would manage public land. Finally, in 2001 the Federal government took over and are now in the process of removing and relocating the uranium. They hope to be done by 2019.

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Utah national parks to open Saturday with state aid

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Good Sawyer. Now can you name the FIVE NATIONAL PARKS in Utah that tourists from all over the world come to see?
    You miss the point as usual. Utah should run those 5 too.

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Utah national parks to open Saturday with state aid

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    I liked your OP but the first Paragraph is like saying Obama threw a snowstorm at western SD..
    I liked it because Utah is such a special state and thanks for bringing it up..
    I've lost count over the decades of how many times I've driven that Escalante ridge..
    A hair-raiser was going east from Boulder..1st gear all the way down.
    I have gone to Utah for vacations for 30 years and been all over the state but I always end up around Moab riding slick rock. Freakin beautiful state!

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •