Page 89 of 162 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199139 ... LastLast
Results 881 to 890 of 1617

Thread: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

  1. #881
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,306

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    How soon do you a people recover from that condition?
    I would think that 150 years removed would be fair to say that if a recovery is not achieved then it is the patients problem psychologically.

    When freed, were slaves instantly educated and on equal footing with their masters?
    Like I said, just bring one forth today, and they will get their reparations...But please let me know what health care they have to live 150 years...k?

    Did whites all at once treat them as equals?
    Are any of them alive?

    I'm not saying I'm for reparations...
    Oh please, you'd vote for it in a second if it assuaged a moment of the white guilt you drip.

    but I think it is a bit condescending to assume that there was nothing after slavery that counted as harm.
    Who said that? I tell ya...That is rich....Here is what the liberal argument is lately...'irrelevant claim, irrelevant claim, irrelevant claim, strawman, concluded with ridiculous statement....

    It means nothing.

    The sixties were not that long ago.
    The sixties were 50 years ago Joe.....Clearly you haven't moved on.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #882
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I would think that 150 years removed would be fair to say that if a recovery is not achieved then it is the patients problem psychologically.
    Is it? Civil rights didn't occur until the 60's. Separate but unequal went on for a long time. I wonder if your view would change is you were in the other pair of shoes.

    Like I said, just bring one forth today, and they will get their reparations...But please let me know what health care they have to live 150 years...k?
    This doesn't address what I said. It's a diversion.


    Are any of them alive?
    Same here.

    Oh please, you'd vote for it in a second if it assuaged a moment of the white guilt you drip.
    Reading minds again. You're not real good at that, so you might just try to address what was said.

    Who said that? I tell ya...That is rich....Here is what the liberal argument is lately...'irrelevant claim, irrelevant claim, irrelevant claim, strawman, concluded with ridiculous statement....

    It means nothing.
    Your 150 years comment says it. That implies it ends there. So, you are saying it.



    The sixties were 50 years ago Joe.....Clearly you haven't moved on.
    Say in context. Try to address the point.

    J, it simply hasn't been that long ago that there was distinct inequity, and harm done. It didn't end with slavery. A people don't instantly change. Remember, wealth was by then all housed in white households. Education was seriously limited for minorities. Even once some sense of equality was gained in the 60's, many were already embedded in poverty and lacked any history of learning and success. This is a major huddle for a people to climb. Not impossible, but one that takes time. Lots of time.

    I don't support reparations, not because they are not due, but because they won't help. The solution requires more of an education and inclusion than it does merely handing out money.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #883
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,306

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Is it? Civil rights didn't occur until the 60's. Separate but unequal went on for a long time. I wonder if your view would change is you were in the other pair of shoes.



    This doesn't address what I said. It's a diversion.




    Same here.



    Reading minds again. You're not real good at that, so you might just try to address what was said.



    Your 150 years comment says it. That implies it ends there. So, you are saying it.





    Say in context. Try to address the point.

    J, it simply hasn't been that long ago that there was distinct inequity, and harm done. It didn't end with slavery. A people don't instantly change. Remember, wealth was by then all housed in white households. Education was seriously limited for minorities. Even once some sense of equality was gained in the 60's, many were already embedded in poverty and lacked any history of learning and success. This is a major huddle for a people to climb. Not impossible, but one that takes time. Lots of time.

    I don't support reparations, not because they are not due, but because they won't help. The solution requires more of an education and inclusion than it does merely handing out money.
    Shouldn't we be striving for 'equal'? Funny how someone like you is constantly looking to say how disadvantaged a group of people are so that you can set yourself up as some kind of savior figure, when in truth your own guilt of simply being born white, leads you to, through your ideology to argue that someone else by simple skin color at birth means that their treatment requires unequal treatment....It really has racist tones.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #884
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Shouldn't we be striving for 'equal'? Funny how someone like you is constantly looking to say how disadvantaged a group of people are so that you can set yourself up as some kind of savior figure, when in truth your own guilt of simply being born white, leads you to, through your ideology to argue that someone else by simple skin color at birth means that their treatment requires unequal treatment....It really has racist tones.
    No where have I suggested we shouldn't be striving for equal. I merely state the reality is that we are not there yet. Better, sure. But let's not pretend that it's all disappeared and all is fine now.

    And I rarely ever feel guilt about anything. I thought you'd know that by now. but recognizing reality is being guilty. That too is a fall back cop out a number of conservatives use.

    Nor am I asking for unequal treatment. No where have I asked for that. recognizing a problem, even addressing a problem, isn't a call for inequality.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #885
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,306

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No where have I suggested we shouldn't be striving for equal. I merely state the reality is that we are not there yet. Better, sure. But let's not pretend that it's all disappeared and all is fine now.

    And I rarely ever feel guilt about anything. I thought you'd know that by now. but recognizing reality is being guilty. That too is a fall back cop out a number of conservatives use.

    Nor am I asking for unequal treatment. No where have I asked for that. recognizing a problem, even addressing a problem, isn't a call for inequality.
    Where is the "inequality" today then? Explain it rather than spew platitude garbage.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #886
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Where is the "inequality" today then? Explain it rather than spew platitude garbage.
    I still meet people who won't hire based on gender and race. The history still has many left and poverty and behind. I still run into students whose parents never read anything other than bills. This is all part of the original problem. So, it's easy to beat someone you have a head start on.

    So, as that you will understand you got an explanation:

    1) Racist hiring practices still exist.

    2) Many are still recovering from generations of being denied education and having no history of success to fall back on or to inform of a better way. From personal experience I know how blind good people can be to possibilities.

    3) This includes the poor education that was once based on race and now bleeds into poverty in general.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #887
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,306

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I still meet people who won't hire based on gender and race. The history still has many left and poverty and behind. I still run into students whose parents never read anything other than bills. This is all part of the original problem. So, it's easy to beat someone you have a head start on.

    So, as that you will understand you got an explanation:

    1) Racist hiring practices still exist.

    2) Many are still recovering from generations of being denied education and having no history of success to fall back on or to inform of a better way. From personal experience I know how blind good people can be to possibilities.

    3) This includes the poor education that was once based on race and now bleeds into poverty in general.

    1) Nonsense....Bull **** claim. Prove it. Beyond your anecdotal made up crap.

    2) The opportunity is there, if they don't take advantage of it, who's fault is that?

    3) Poor education, yeah, ask demo's about that...You are against vouchers right?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #888
    Professor
    sKiTzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    OC California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,213

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No, hyperbole. How it is would be saying it's the aw and SCOTUS ruled it wasn't unconstitutional.
    That ruling is just a little taste of the tyranny that you're going to start seeing more and more of. The ruling is, in fact, fraudulent.

    Obama initially got people to support the bill by promising it wasn't a tax. The problem that arose was that if it wasn't a tax, it was unconstitutional. So Chief Justice John Roberts rewrote the bill as a tax because it turns out the bill could be upheld only as an exercise of Congress’s power to tax. The constitution mandates that bills for "raising revenue" must be in compliance with the Origination Clause (Art. I, Sec. 7), which requires that all tax bills must originate in the House of Representatives, from which obamacare did not.

    Obamacare is, therefore, unconstitutional. So, while I was correctly calling it like it is, our supreme court justices are not. When this happens, and you have federal judges making fraudulent rulings and deceiving the American people, it is called a "rogue" government. If nobody complains, it progresses into a dictatorship (history has shown). Before you go on supporting obamacare, think about complaining. Consider that laws were broken in order to pass it. Most of all, ponder the possible reasons for why they are doing this, because if you think it's because they care about our health, then you have a lot to learn about reality.

  9. #889
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,985

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by sKiTzo View Post
    That ruling is just a little taste of the tyranny that you're going to start seeing more and more of. The ruling is, in fact, fraudulent.

    Obama initially got people to support the bill by promising it wasn't a tax. The problem that arose was that if it wasn't a tax, it was unconstitutional. So Chief Justice John Roberts rewrote the bill as a tax because it turns out the bill could be upheld only as an exercise of Congress’s power to tax. The constitution mandates that bills for "raising revenue" must be in compliance with the Origination Clause (Art. I, Sec. 7), which requires that all tax bills must originate in the House of Representatives, from which obamacare did not.

    Obamacare is, therefore, unconstitutional. So, while I was correctly calling it like it is, our supreme court justices are not. When this happens, and you have federal judges making fraudulent rulings and deceiving the American people, it is called a "rogue" government. If nobody complains, it progresses into a dictatorship (history has shown). Before you go on supporting obamacare, think about complaining. Consider that laws were broken in order to pass it. Most of all, ponder the possible reasons for why they are doing this, because if you think it's because they care about our health, then you have a lot to learn about reality.
    i don't think you can just go around claiming the healthcare law is unconstitutional just because the supreme court made a verdict contradicting your political believes. the supreme court rules what is unconstitutional according to their understanding of the constitution.

    and on a unrelated note, i think you are confusing tyranny with losing.

  10. #890
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    1) Nonsense....Bull **** claim. Prove it. Beyond your anecdotal made up crap.
    The authors find that applicants with white-sounding names are 50 percent more likely to get called for an initial interview than applicants with African-American-sounding names. Applicants with white names need to send about 10 resumes to get one callback, whereas applicants with African-American names need to send about 15 resumes to achieve the same result.

    Chicago GSB | Capital Ideas

    Racial discrimination continues to play a part in hiring decisions | Economic Policy Institute

    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/01/us/01race.html?_r=0

    I usually stop at three, but I can provide more. I took just a couple of different sources, to show it's well covered. You can look yourself if you doubt me.


    2) The opportunity is there, if they don't take advantage of it, who's fault is that?
    This is why I took time to explain the problem. What you can't see doesn't exist. Not for you. You can't tackle the problem if you don't understand it. You can blame the victim. You can ignore it. Or you can dig in and try to change it. but realize it's an uphill battle. And not one that will be easily fixed.

    3) Poor education, yeah, ask demo's about that...You are against vouchers right?
    Which doesn't fix the problem, just moves a few to another area. Again, that solution shows a lack of understanding to the problem.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •