Page 86 of 162 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136 ... LastLast
Results 851 to 860 of 1617

Thread: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

  1. #851
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Equivilating Obamacare to Slavery is the pinnacle of ignorance and dishonours the memory of those who suffered under slavery in American history and suffer from Modern Slavery today.

    What I absolutely love here, is how many conservatives skewers Blacks for bringing up Slavery today when it comes to issues with the black community and in regards to any kind of reparations...

    But magically it's allowed to be brought up in this context.

    And as my esteemed colleague pointed out, to ignore other significant events that caused massive suffering to Americans, such as WW1, WW2, Vietnam etc. is also an insult to the lives that were lost and affected by those events.
    I have no problem with reparations, just bring me an actual owned slave from the 1800's and they are deserving of such.

    As for slavery v. taxation it is absolutely a valid point regardless of your dislike of it.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #852
    controlled chaos
    Gaugingcatenate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Formerly of the Southern USA, now permanently in the mountains of Panama
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,159

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    :
    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    meaning you can't support your case. The burden of proof is yours. And I've already shown both your reasoning and facts are flawed.
    I think this is just one more of those liberal instances of a mismatched working partnership.... seems your mind is constantly taking vacation, and your poor mouth is always stuck working overtime.

    "...But resist we much, we must and we will much, about that be committed..." --- the right Reverend Alfred Charles "Al" Shaprton, Jr.

  3. #853
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    If I didn't get the point, then why would I have pulled the attribution? Gheeze!



    When policies seem socialistic to me, I will call them that....As for "a lot"? I don't think so...I call things what they are. Progressive.



    Oh, but I am...I am just not calling them what you wish I would so you're upset with that....I can't help you there.
    If you got the point, why'd you keep arguing about it?

    That you see it skewed is the point. Propaganda works. If it didn't, we never talk about it. What saddens me is that we lack the imagination to invent new bull ****.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #854
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,803

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    What is being discussed here are not acts of god, natural disasters, world wide catastrophic events or attacks on Americans by anti-Americans from the outside...we are talking about Americans doing something bad to fellow Americans.

    I would say that the Japanese-American internment by another Imperial styled Democrat president might be, indeed, competitive with Obamadon'tcare... except that this debacle was in time of war and it was not targeting all Americans...besides which it was not set to last forever, it was over in about two years.
    Holy **** he thinks a health insurance mandate is on par with literal imprisonment of innocent people based on their ethnicity alone.

    I don't know how to talk to someone like this.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #855
    Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    11-30-13 @ 07:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,293

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Equivilating Obamacare to Slavery is the pinnacle of ignorance and dishonours the memory of those who suffered under slavery in American history and suffer from Modern Slavery today.

    What I absolutely love here, is how many conservatives skewers Blacks for bringing up Slavery today when it comes to issues with the black community and in regards to any kind of reparations...

    But magically it's allowed to be brought up in this context.

    And as my esteemed colleague pointed out, to ignore other significant events that caused massive suffering to Americans, such as WW1, WW2, Vietnam etc. is also an insult to the lives that were lost and affected by those events.
    You have a big, big problem with the definition of the word slave especially in the context that Dr Carson brought it up. And Dr Carson didn't place race, gender or sexual orientation limits on his comparison so no magic was used. Perhaps that's why you and others are so upset with what he said.

    Nobody has ignored the suffering and efforts of Americans involved in wars. Now Obama went way out of his way to insult and make things difficult for veterans of those engagements but we know you and those like you will make any excuse for him on all issues.
    "“If we don’t deepen our ports all along the Gulf — places like Charleston, South Carolina; or Savannah, Georgia; or Jacksonville, Florida…” -Obama

  6. #856
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I have no problem with reparations, just bring me an actual owned slave from the 1800's and they are deserving of such.

    As for slavery v. taxation it is absolutely a valid point regardless of your dislike of it.
    How soon do you a people recover from that condition? When freed, were slaves instantly educated and on equal footing with their masters? Did whites all at once treat them as equals? I'm not saying I'm for reparations, but I think it is a bit condescending to assume that there was nothing after slavery that counted as harm. The sixties were not that long ago.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #857
    controlled chaos
    Gaugingcatenate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Formerly of the Southern USA, now permanently in the mountains of Panama
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,159

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Holy **** he thinks a health insurance mandate is on par with literal imprisonment of innocent people based on their ethnicity alone.

    I don't know how to talk to someone like this.
    Slaves were not allowed, by law, to learn to read and write... is there some law out there somewhere where liberals have not been allowed, by law or something, to learn reading comprehension? Dr. Carson did not ever say Obamadon'tcare was on par with, he said it was the worst thing to happen since slavery [ I have already explained since, having to do with time, as opposed to your usage of the word with, which is a function word to indicate objects of comparison, to equate ... since and with not going towards the same result, at all ].

    So, one might agree with the first part of your statement ["I don't know how to talk..."] perhaps since you do not seem to understand how to properly interpret the significance of what is being said.
    "...But resist we much, we must and we will much, about that be committed..." --- the right Reverend Alfred Charles "Al" Shaprton, Jr.

  8. #858
    controlled chaos
    Gaugingcatenate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Formerly of the Southern USA, now permanently in the mountains of Panama
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,159

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    How soon do you a people recover from that condition? When freed, were slaves instantly educated and on equal footing with their masters? Did whites all at once treat them as equals? I'm not saying I'm for reparations, but I think it is a bit condescending to assume that there was nothing after slavery that counted as harm. The sixties were not that long ago.
    If you know your American history you will understand this was a common occurrence among almost all identifiable groups here in the US, where it took time to gain the respect of the other groups. You can see it with the Germans and Irish after they arrived on scene, a lot of that having to do with a distrust of all things Catholic at the time, later eastern and southern Europeans, the Chinese and Japanese, those of Hispanic heritage... so this unequal footing is something suffered throughout US, probably common to world, history...just to a lesser, often less violent, extent in this country.

    Public education was, indeed, a goal of the Republicans at the end of the Civil War...the Freedman's Bureau was set up to give assistance in the way of food, clothing, medical assistance and also to begin educating, setting up schools in the South for all. So there was an effort by the Republican authorities along with the black community to push education that had been limited by the Democrat power structures in the South before and during the war, and then more and more after the war.

    Just so you will have some understanding, maybe you might read this PBS American Experience segment... PBS gernerally, certainly, being a source considered trustworthy on your side.

    American Experience | Reconstruction: The Second Civil War | Access to Learning | PBS
    "...But resist we much, we must and we will much, about that be committed..." --- the right Reverend Alfred Charles "Al" Shaprton, Jr.

  9. #859
    controlled chaos
    Gaugingcatenate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Formerly of the Southern USA, now permanently in the mountains of Panama
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,159

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Good man.

    You kind of took the wind out of my sales, though. I was all set to unleash my own quotes:

    "Utterly crucial to the well being of the state is a well-cowed populace, fearful in mind and lacking all avenue to a publicly funded health care system."

    -Adolph Hitler.

    "If there is but one threat to power and stability it is a healthful people who can turn outward from their own meager plight and demand better. Such it is that a patient protection and affordable care act can never be allowed to pass."

    -Pol Pot

    "Conservatism is awesome."

    -Satan, Lord of Darkness and the Fallen One.
    Just wondering...on the bolded quote and attribution to AH... can you cite a source on that? I mean, if we are calling out possible false, too good to be true or incorrect attributions...

    Secondly, was this statement that you have attributed to Hitler made as an attack of the then current power structure by AH and for which he wanted to replace it with his own national socialist policy which included publicly funded health care... which I believe would be more the case... or, was it rather that he and the national socialists did not want this in an effort to keep the populace weak so he could manipulate and overpower them... which is, I doubt the case... you see, Hitler was a socialist which is more along the lines of the modern progressive, not the conservative, in his thinking.

    Oh, btw, the proper word usage would not be sales, but instead sails, as in take the wind out of your sails, a sailboat metaphor... just saying...
    "...But resist we much, we must and we will much, about that be committed..." --- the right Reverend Alfred Charles "Al" Shaprton, Jr.

  10. #860
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    If you know your American history you will understand this was a common occurrence among almost all identifiable groups here in the US, where it took time to gain the respect of the other groups. You can see it with the Germans and Irish after they arrived on scene, a lot of that having to do with a distrust of all things Catholic at the time, later eastern and southern Europeans, the Chinese and Japanese, those of Hispanic heritage... so this unequal footing is something suffered throughout US, probably common to world, history...just to a lesser, often less violent, extent in this country.

    Public education was, indeed, a goal of the Republicans at the end of the Civil War...the Freedman's Bureau was set up to give assistance in the way of food, clothing, medical assistance and also to begin educating, setting up schools in the South for all. So there was an effort by the Republican authorities along with the black community to push education that had been limited by the Democrat power structures in the South before and during the war, and then more and more after the war.

    Just so you will have some understanding, maybe you might read this PBS American Experience segment... PBS gernerally, certainly, being a source considered trustworthy on your side.

    American Experience | Reconstruction: The Second Civil War | Access to Learning | PBS
    A goal? Yes, I remember well separate but unequal. So, I'm not sure what point you think you're making. If you read your source you should be able yo see it doesn't dispute me.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •