Page 61 of 162 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111161 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 610 of 1617

Thread: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

  1. #601
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 10:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,670

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneWanderer View Post
    Unless you can demonstrate that you have qualifications to speak on Dr. Carson's opinion, I agree we're finished here.

    Don't get mad, bro. I'm just extending your personal standards for judging the validity of Dr. Carson's comments to your own. I will continue to disregard the content of your opinion until you meet your own standards. Unless, of course, you don't want to be held to your own standards. Though, wouldn't that make you a hypocrite?
    Argument from authority - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, and a claim doesn't become true because an "expert" said it. In the end a claim must always stand or fall on it's own. Experts give weight to claims, they don't make them true.

    Claiming that Obama care is equivalent to humans being bought and sold as property is an extraordinary claim. Actually, it is an extraordinarily stupid claim. Because if it were true, then no one would have a strong preference between one and the other.

    Which would you prefer?
    1. Be "forced" to buy health insurance or face a 700$ fine.
    2. Be sold as human chattel in which someone else has complete control over every facet of your life and is free to abuse you in any way they see fit.
    Anyone willing to pick #2?

    Dr. Carson is not a historian. Being a neurosurgeon doesn't make him an expert in history any more than being black makes him an expert on slavery. Being black may save him from the reaction he would have received had he been white, but it doesn't make him any less of an ass.

  2. #602
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by Mithros View Post
    Argument from authority - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, and a claim doesn't become true because an "expert" said it. In the end a claim must always stand or fall on it's own. Experts give weight to claims, they don't make them true.

    Claiming that Obama care is equivalent to humans being bought and sold as property is an extraordinary claim. Actually, it is an extraordinarily stupid claim. Because if it were true, then no one would have a strong preference between one and the other.

    Which would you prefer?
    1. Be "forced" to buy health insurance or face a 700$ fine.
    2. Be sold as human chattel in which someone else has complete control over every facet of your life and is free to abuse you in any way they see fit.
    Anyone willing to pick #2?

    Dr. Carson is not a historian. Being a neurosurgeon doesn't make him an expert in history any more than being black makes him an expert on slavery. Being black may save him from the reaction he would have received had he been white, but it doesn't make him any less of an ass.
    Maybe you should read what he actually said and it will save you a lot of typing.

  3. #603
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,936

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by Mithros View Post
    Argument from authority - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, and a claim doesn't become true because an "expert" said it. In the end a claim must always stand or fall on it's own. Experts give weight to claims, they don't make them true.

    Claiming that Obama care is equivalent to humans being bought and sold as property is an extraordinary claim. Actually, it is an extraordinarily stupid claim. Because if it were true, then no one would have a strong preference between one and the other.

    Which would you prefer?
    1. Be "forced" to buy health insurance or face a 700$ fine.
    2. Be sold as human chattel in which someone else has complete control over every facet of your life and is free to abuse you in any way they see fit.

    Anyone willing to pick #2?

    Dr. Carson is not a historian. Being a neurosurgeon doesn't make him an expert in history any more than being black makes him an expert on slavery. Being black may save him from the reaction he would have received had he been white, but it doesn't make him any less of an ass.
    Except that the argument from authority is getting way ahead of ourselves as Carson isn't even an authority on that topic.

  4. #604
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 10:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,670

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    You didn't say politically wrong, you said "crazy". And the political view was the reason, meaning sane blacks cannot have those views. You imply that conservative blacks can't think rationally for themselves.
    Sane blacks cannot hold the view that Obamacare equals Slavery any more than sane whites can. Believe it or not, blacks are just as capable as whites at making an ass of themselves.

  5. #605
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 10:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,670

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Except that the argument from authority is getting way ahead of ourselves as Carson isn't even an authority on that topic.
    Agreed.. But it's still argument from authority. You'll notice all of the comments about how he's a world renowned neurosurgeon so his mental prowess can't be challenged... ergo that crazy thing he spouted must be true.

  6. #606
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 10:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,670

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Maybe you should read what he actually said and it will save you a lot of typing.
    You know Obamacare is really I think the worst thing that has happened in this nation since slavery," Carson said Friday. "And it is in a way, it is slavery in a way, because it is making all of us subservient to the government, and it was never about health care. It was about control.
    Maybe you should take your own advice. Carson equated Obamacare to slavery... but maybe you have an alternate understanding of the English Language.

  7. #607
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,321

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    Best things about Dr. Carson are that he is super articulate, he is absolutely fearless, he cannot be called a racist credibly and he is, in fact, an actual brain surgeon...so his intellectual abilities are beyond question.
    So when a black conservative thinks like you, he is the best thing since slice bread.

    However, when a black conservative defends Obama, (Colin Powell) he is just doing it because he is black.

    Look I respect Dr. Carson because he is truly one of the great heroes in our community just like Collin Powell. However, that doesn't mean that I have to agree with his politics. Regardless of what ya'll believe, black people do have individual opinions.

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "If you don't want your tax dollars to help the poor, then stop saying you want a country based on Christian values, because you don't." Jimmy Carter

  8. #608
    Professor

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    06-21-17 @ 12:55 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,577

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by Mithros View Post
    Argument from authority - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, and a claim doesn't become true because an "expert" said it. In the end a claim must always stand or fall on it's own. Experts give weight to claims, they don't make them true.

    Claiming that Obama care is equivalent to humans being bought and sold as property is an extraordinary claim. Actually, it is an extraordinarily stupid claim. Because if it were true, then no one would have a strong preference between one and the other.

    Which would you prefer?
    1. Be "forced" to buy health insurance or face a 700$ fine.
    2. Be sold as human chattel in which someone else has complete control over every facet of your life and is free to abuse you in any way they see fit.
    Anyone willing to pick #2?

    Dr. Carson is not a historian. Being a neurosurgeon doesn't make him an expert in history any more than being black makes him an expert on slavery. Being black may save him from the reaction he would have received had he been white, but it doesn't make him any less of an ass.
    1: The bolded above is exactly the point I was trying to demonstrate to our poster. Just because a person isn't an "expert" does not make their opinions categorically wrong. (I was also pointing out the ridiculousness of him/her determining an opinion valid for consideration solely based on the expert-or-not status of it's holder).

    2. The statement that 'A' is the worst thing since 'B' does not mean that 'A' is equivalent to 'B.' Let's draw it out:

    Worst -------------------------------------------------------- Best
    A -------------------B--------------- CDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

    If 'A' happened a long time ago, 'B' happened this morning, and the rest happened in between, 'B' is still the worst since 'A' yet is not equal in its badness.

    Now, there are some horrible things which have happened since slavery was around and it would be impossible to definitively say Dr. Carson is right because the long-term effects of Obamacare have not been realized. However, it would also be illogical to claim he is definitively wrong in his opinion at the current time for the same reason. What is wrong is to make a strawman of his argument by inferring a false equivolence in his statements.

    So, while no one would pick slavery over being forced to pay a fine/healthcare, that point is irrelevant to the the argument Dr. Carson made.
    Last edited by CycloneWanderer; 10-15-13 at 02:01 PM.

  9. #609
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by rcart76 View Post
    So when a black conservative thinks like you, he is the best thing since slice bread.

    However, when a black conservative defends Obama, (Colin Powell) he is just doing it because he is black.

    Look I respect Dr. Carson because he is truly one of the great heroes in our community just like Collin Powell. However, that doesn't mean that I have to agree with his politics. Regardless of what ya'll believe, black people do have individual opinions.
    Yep, they do....Like this one...

    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #610
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 10:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,670

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneWanderer View Post
    1: The bolded above is exactly the point I was trying to demonstrate to our poster. Just because a person isn't an "expert" does not make their opinions categorically wrong. (I was also pointing out the ridiculousness of him/her determining an opinion valid for consideration solely based on the expert-or-not status of it's holder).

    2. The statement that 'A' is the worst thing since 'B' does not mean that 'A' is equivalent to 'B.' Let's draw it out:

    Worst -------------------------------------------------------- Best
    A -------------------B--------------- CDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

    If 'A' happened a long time ago, 'B' happened this morning, and the rest happened in between, 'B' is still the worst since 'A' yet is not equal in its badness.

    Now, there are some horrible things which have happened since slavery was around and it would be impossible to definitively say Dr. Carson is right because the long-term effects of Obamacare have not been realized. However, it would also be illogical to claim he is definitively wrong in his opinion at the current time for the same reason. What is wrong is to make a strawman of his argument by inferring a false equivolence in his statements.

    So, while no one would pick slavery over being forced to pay a fine/healthcare, that point is irrelevant to the the argument Dr. Carson made.
    Gotcha.. Agreed. (And its one reason why I like anonymous forums, reputations, stature, degrees..etc.. are are all meaningless. Ideas are the only thing that counts)

    As for Dr Carsons statement, you'd be technically right if he had stopped at "Obamacare is the worst thing to happen to this country since slavery". But his next sentence followed that Obamacare is actually a form of slavery. Given that, he may not have said that they are exactly equivalent, but you have to go through some serious mental gymnastics to argue that he claiming that Obamacare is not at least comparable to slavery.

    It's totally offbase and assine. Had he been white, Carson would be in full apology tour mode now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •