Page 53 of 162 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast
Results 521 to 530 of 1617

Thread: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

  1. #521
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Right! And that's why I give those who oppose ObamaCare a sideways look? How can you be against people "taking responsibility for their own health care"? Honestly, for those who decree "liberty" aren't speaking about "freedom" in the sense that people are free to do what they want, go where they want, say what they want under the law. Their primary reason for opposing ObamaCare centers on their fears of "economic freedom" = taxation. They piggy-back this argument with slippery-slope arguments, i.e., concerns for government encroachment into their lives". The crazy thing is nothing about ObamaCare tells you what insurance policy to buy, how much to pay for it, who to buy it from. The only thing it "limits" is the WHERE - your employer, a healthcare co-op, a health savings account, or a state- or federal-sponsored health insurance exchange. Of course, if those in opposition were smart they'd have learned more about the CLASS Act and pushed for its implementation. Why? Because EVERYONE would have paid into the system over time and our current health insurance coverage system(s) - Medicaid/Medicare and employer-sponsored health care - would have gone away.

    You'd have still had the exchanges - private insurance companies would still have existed, but EVERYONE would have paid into their own health insurance same as retirees currently do with Medicare only you would have been able to utilize the insurance benefits while you worked instead of once you retired. But yes, to your larger point whether you're rich or lower middle-class and have health insurance through your employer, we're ALL subsidizing the poor who use emergency room care as walk-in clinic and welch on paying their medical bills. It still shocks me that instead of people being pissed off about this they argue over ObamaCare "mandating" that everyone purchases health insurance. Talk about fighting against your own self-interest!
    So to spare the details lets boil this down. You advocate one form of usurpation of labor for another larger form, and the only difference is that the new usurpation comes with new strings attached, with no opt out. No thanks.

  2. #522
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    What a dishonest headline! No such comparison was made.

  3. #523
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneWanderer View Post
    That would be wonderful if he actually faced problems as they are. Unfortunately, he allows his racial stereotype of white people drive how he percieves the problems. Great leaders see things for what they are and, yes, face problems head-on. Unfortunately, Obama is incapable of that key first step of accurate perception. He sees racial strife where none exists, which damages the entire movement because it encourages those unattached to it to be apathetic to true racial strife. In short, he cries wolf too much. You have several examples of him crying wolf, which include his professor friend's arrest and the TM debacle. Both times he cried wolf based off his flawed perceptions of the event. Those flawed perceptions are driven by racial bigotry, for which he did not allow adequate time to correct before crying wolf. Eventually, you have to face up to the fact that this emperor is naked. While he may, to some people, talk a great game of being post-racial, his actions tell a different story.
    I'm afraid that doesn't fit the reality. No where has he step so far as to warrant that conclusion. Nothing submitted so far shows what you claim. Is it possible that your prejudice colors what you see? I'm only asking, as the reality doesn't match what you've written.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #524
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    So to spare the details lets boil this down. You advocate one form of usurpation of labor for another larger form, and the only difference is that the new usurpation comes with new strings attached, with no opt out. No thanks.
    Ah! But the CLASS Act didn't force people into the system. It would have been voluntary and worked exactly like the exchanges but had a process where the health benefits couldn't be used for a minimum of 5-years from the date of enrollment. Think of it as a dual-Roth IRA/cash-value insurance plan then it begins to make sense. Still, the 5-yr buy-in was really the only part of the plan I didn't like. Of course, there's nothing saying that credits couldn't have been provided to help off-set the cost same as what ObamaCare now offers for a limited time.

    In any case, it would have been preferable to what we have now, IMO.

    Note: After re-reading my post as quoted above, I mistakenly made a broad generality. I didn't mean to infer that "everyone" would be mandated to buy into the CLASS Act insurance program, only those who enrolled in the program. Just wanted to clear that up.
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 10-14-13 at 04:37 PM.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  5. #525
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    In Libertarian land, consumers have no rights.
    Sure they do, they have the right to take their business elsewhere.

  6. #526
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Every 4 years, Republicans get behind some crazy old black man and postulate him as the voice of reason. They have taken well to the Magical Negro skit. Anybody remember Herman Cain? Allan Keyes? Bravo should do a "Where Are They Now?: Crazy Black Republican Edition"
    Yes and only a "crazy black" could be republican. Racist.

  7. #527
    controlled chaos
    Gaugingcatenate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Formerly of the Southern USA, now permanently in the mountains of Panama
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,159

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Your first one is supposition. Meaningless without evidence. And indicative of the poor thought process many use when assess Obama.

    The second one, Trayvon, is mindless. Obama was quite appropriate and yet another sign of poor thinking associated with those criticizing Obama.

    So no, nothing up there is in any way evidence of Obama's racism.
    Uh, read the book by the procecutor who was handling the case, name is Christian Adams, may want to pick up his book that had two chapters on the case...book's name is Injustice. No supposition at all...matter of fact read the rest of the book, will blow you away with the reverse racism going on under this administration. Talk about lazy and blind, folks on your side just cannot see the bright blinking warning beacon, not with your minds in such a deeply oblivious fog.

    What the hell are you talking about he was appropriate on the Trayvon case...?? No case had even been presented before he was likening the thug to being himself as a young man...and then the emotional pull that the poor young thug could have just as well been his son... the president had no business sticking his nose in a state case in Florida much less taking sides, compounding the insult into injury by taking the wrong side...he needs to spend less time on the golf course, opining about such things a Red Skins name change... do your JOB Mr. president... this boobamacare rollout has been a complete disaster with three years to get it right...but I digress...

    Voluntary blindness...see no evil, hear no evil if its about your thug-in-chief, eh?
    "...But resist we much, we must and we will much, about that be committed..." --- the right Reverend Alfred Charles "Al" Shaprton, Jr.

  8. #528
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Ah! But the CLASS Act didn't force people into the system. It would have been voluntary and worked exactly like the exchanges but had a process where the health benefits couldn't be used for a minimum of 5-years from the date of enrollment. Think of it as a dual-Roth IRA/cash-value insurance plan then it begins to make sense. Still, the 5-yr buy-in was really the only part of the plan I didn't like. Of course, there's nothing saying that credits couldn't have been provided to help off-set the cost same as what ObamaCare now offers for a limited time.

    In any case, it would have been preferable to what we have now, IMO.

    Note: After re-reading my post as quoted above, I mistakenly made a broad generality. I didn't mean to infer that "everyone" would be mandated to buy into the CLASS Act insurance program, only those who enrolled in the program. Just wanted to clear that up.
    I'm not familiar with the Class act proposal so I have no further comment.

  9. #529
    Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    11-30-13 @ 07:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,293

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Nonetheless, none of this changes the absurdity of what Dr. Carson said. There's no rational equivalent of slavery to health care - mandatory purchase of such or otherwise. No one was forced to buy a slave, but even when one did make such a purchase the only person who was oppressed was (wait for it....) THE SLAVE! That's what makes Dr. Carson's comment so stupid!!!
    An interesting observation that can be somewhat compared to today's situation. A lot of slaves didn't know any better and were content to have their master provide for them and make decisions for them. They accepted the terms and conditions by choice or force. A lot of slaves knew better and were anything but content to have his master provide and make decisions for him. They did not accept being forced to accept those terms and conditions and ran off or rebelled. In either case, the slave was oppressed and he was prevented from making decisions in his own best interest unless he freed himself from the shackles of forced behavior.

    Along comes Obamadon'tcare. The government is not forced to mandate the terms and conditions of a persons health care but it did and now it's subjects are forced to accept them. Does that ring a bell? It should. But the very second someone objects to an increasingly all powerful government that forces it's subjects by mandates they are called "crazy", "stupid", "lunatics" and such by those in favor of people being forced to comply with it's mandates.

    Dr. Carson hit the nail on the head with his remarks.
    "“If we don’t deepen our ports all along the Gulf — places like Charleston, South Carolina; or Savannah, Georgia; or Jacksonville, Florida…” -Obama

  10. #530
    Professor

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    06-21-17 @ 12:55 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,577

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I'm afraid that doesn't fit the reality. No where has he step so far as to warrant that conclusion. Nothing submitted so far shows what you claim. Is it possible that your prejudice colors what you see? I'm only asking, as the reality doesn't match what you've written.
    Since when is it acceptable for the President of the United States to make groundless comments on city-level crimes before investigations are complete and before the courts have had time to properly handle them? He's been given a free pass in the media for the comments he made regarding the police in the case of his professor friend and his TM comments. While it would be hard to argue that he doesn't percieve those situations through a lense which emphasized race, his main problem is speaking about things which he doesn't understand or have all the facts. For a race-neutral example, look up his comments on sexual assault in the military and the unlawful command influence they had. Most people have some sort of bias, but we are very capable at correcting for it when given the opportunity. Obama has had problems with not giving himself the time/making the effort to correct his own biased perceptions.

    If the reality doesn't match my perceptions, I'd love it if you elucidated how for me so that I might correct them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •