Page 51 of 162 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 510 of 1617

Thread: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

  1. #501
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    You mean evidence like having his Justice Department drop the slam dunk case against the New Black Panthers... or how he immediately jumped on the side of Professor Henry Lewis Gates against the white police officer doing his job and fully vindicated...hmmm...oh, it certainly could not be because Prof Gates was black was it...nah, just happenstance...probably...

    Oh, then you have him getting involved in the Trayvon Martin Case, sticking his nose in, his two cents worth that just happened, somehow, to be on the side of the person that was...what race was Trayvon again, for those who may not remember....was he African American, too, was he? Why does the boob keep on sticking his nose where it doesn't belong and always end up supporting the one race over the others...

    But that would not be in the least racist... or would it?

    So, your case against Dr. Carson as a racist?
    Your first one is supposition. Meaningless without evidence. And indicative of the poor thought process many use when assess Obama.

    The second one, Trayvon, is mindless. Obama was quite appropriate and yet another sign of poor thinking associated with those criticizing Obama.

    So no, nothing up there is in any way evidence of Obama's racism.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #502
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    "The point I was making was not that Grandmother harbors any racial animosity. She doesn't. But she is a typical white person..." --

    "It was usually an effective tactic, another one of those tricks I had learned: (White) People were satisfied so long as you were courteous and smiled and made no sudden moves. They were more than satisfied, they were relieved -- such a pleasant surprise to find a well-mannered young black man who didn't seem angry all the time."

    "That's just how white folks will do you. It wasn't merely the cruelty involved; I was learning that black people could be mean and then some. It was a particular brand of arrogance, an obtuseness in otherwise sane people that brought forth our bitter laughter. It was as if whites didn't know that they were being cruel in the first place. Or at least thought you deserving of their scorn."

    "It is this world, a world where cruise ships throw away more food in a day than most residents of Port-au-Prince see in a year, where white folks' greed runs a world in need, apartheid in one hemisphere, apathy in another hemisphere...That's the world! On which hope sits!"

    "I can no more disown (Jeremiah Wright) than I can disown the black community. I can no more disown him than I can my white grandmother - a woman who helped raise me, a woman who sacrificed again and again for me, a woman who loves me as much as she loves anything in this world, but a woman who once confessed her fear of black men who passed by her on the street, and who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe."
    None of that suggests racism. Instead it is an effort to talk about race. Again, poor thinking on the side that criticizes Obama on this.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #503
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Or....maybe its that you are not terribly bright. Leftists always throw the 'racist' card around when lost and confused, which is always..
    Again, you used it. You threw it in. And you can't divorce yourself from your actions.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #504
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,772

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    How would you rank the good, if not great and accomplished, doctor as compared to other Black talking political heads...say compared to Jesse "extortion" Jackson, or Al "not too" Sharpton, or Eric "the bag" Holder, or Barry "the community disorganizer" Obama?

    I mean, if Barry had limited himself to community organizing, if the two reverends had limited themselves to preaching what they don't practice, or if the AG had just stuck to just defending terrorists, would they, too, come across as more credible as well?
    Can't answer that question because I've never listened to speeches given by Jessie Jackson, Al Sharpton, Eric Holder or Community Organizer/Senator Obama before he became this Nation's 44th President. Moreover, I didn't listen to Dr. Carson's speech either simply because I haven't been able to find it in its entirety.

    Now, if you want to what I really think about Jessie and Al, here it is: I find both to be blowhards, former Civil Rights advocates/activists, who are trying desperately to hang on to their past glory. To me, both are irrelevant. Nonetheless, none of this changes the absurdity of what Dr. Carson said. There's no rational equivalent of slavery to health care - mandatory purchase of such or otherwise. No one was forced to buy a slave, but even when one did make such a purchase the only person who was oppressed was (wait for it....) THE SLAVE! That's what makes Dr. Carson's comment so stupid!!!
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  5. #505
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    None of that suggests racism. Instead it is an effort to talk about race. Again, poor thinking on the side that criticizes Obama on this.
    None of that suggests racism? What do you think is a "typical White person"?

    Do we really need to go into what Rev. Wright taught him?

  6. #506
    Professor

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    06-21-17 @ 12:55 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,577

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    The hell does racism have to do with anything?

    Anyway, yes, he is a brain surgeon. Kudos to him on that. But it's compartmentalized intelligence that allows highly educated people in one area to do or say extremely stupid things in other areas. There are many fantastically intelligent members on this forum who regularly go full retard when they leave the topic of their expertise. A brain surgeon comparing the health care act to the brutal enslavement of an entire race is a good example of phenomenon.
    Compartmentalized intelligence? I couldn't find that term in my library of psych books. I highly doubt you are referring to compartmentalization, a defense mechanism people use to avoid cognitive dissonance, because that really doesn't make sense with the topic at hand. I'm guessing Psychology is outside the topic of your expertise. You should probably avoid talking of it because you may just demonstrate for the board someone going "full retard."

  7. #507
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Can't answer that question because I've never listened to speeches given by Jessie Jackson, Al Sharpton, Eric Holder or Community Organizer/Senator Obama before he became this Nation's 44th President. Moreover, I didn't listen to Dr. Carson's speech either simply because I haven't been able to find it in its entirety.

    Now, if you want to what I really think about Jessie and Al, here it is: I find both to be blowhards, former Civil Rights advocates/activists, who are trying desperately to hang on to their past glory. To me, both are irrelevant. Nonetheless, none of this changes the absurdity of what Dr. Carson said. There's no rational equivalent of slavery to health care - mandatory purchase of such or otherwise. No one was forced to buy a slave, but even when one did make such a purchase the only person who was oppressed was (wait for it....) THE SLAVE! That's what makes Dr. Carson's comment so stupid!!!
    Here's what he said.

    Obamacare is “the worst thing that has happened in this nation since slavery. It is slavery because it aims to make all of us subservient to the government,” he said. “It was never about health care. It was about control. Socialized medicine is the keystone in the establishment of a socialist state.”

  8. #508
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,772

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    This may not be a direct answer to your point, but you inadvertently hit upon something here, we do try to clump everyone in the same group. Equal protection under the law compels this. However, the basic point is this. No labor is free. Someone pays for the service given to every patient. If not the recipient, it is either the Dr. who provides his labor and expertise without cost or the taxpayer who subsidizes the insurance policy; or a combination of both. In the end someone's labor is being usurped.
    Right! And that's why I give those who oppose ObamaCare a sideways look? How can you be against people "taking responsibility for their own health care"? Honestly, for those who decree "liberty" aren't speaking about "freedom" in the sense that people are free to do what they want, go where they want, say what they want under the law. Their primary reason for opposing ObamaCare centers on their fears of "economic freedom" = taxation. They piggy-back this argument with slippery-slope arguments, i.e., concerns for government encroachment into their lives". The crazy thing is nothing about ObamaCare tells you what insurance policy to buy, how much to pay for it, who to buy it from. The only thing it "limits" is the WHERE - your employer, a healthcare co-op, a health savings account, or a state- or federal-sponsored health insurance exchange. Of course, if those in opposition were smart they'd have learned more about the CLASS Act and pushed for its implementation. Why? Because EVERYONE would have paid into the system over time and our current health insurance coverage system(s) - Medicaid/Medicare and employer-sponsored health care - would have gone away.

    You'd have still had the exchanges - private insurance companies would still have existed, but EVERYONE would have paid into their own health insurance same as retirees currently do with Medicare only you would have been able to utilize the insurance benefits while you worked instead of once you retired. But yes, to your larger point whether you're rich or lower middle-class and have health insurance through your employer, we're ALL subsidizing the poor who use emergency room care as walk-in clinic and welch on paying their medical bills. It still shocks me that instead of people being pissed off about this they argue over ObamaCare "mandating" that everyone purchases health insurance. Talk about fighting against your own self-interest!
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  9. #509
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    None of that suggests racism? What do you think is a "typical White person"?

    Do we really need to go into what Rev. Wright taught him?
    A generalization, a short cut that helps the discussion move forward, as in not atypical.

    And You seem to lack knowledge of the good reverend's historic style, often used by such haters MLK. Many forget MLK was dis-invited to the WH when he said "The greatest purveyor in the world today is my country, the United States of America."

    So, you seem to lack historical context and are prone to wild leaps. but no, this doesn't show racism at all.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #510
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,772

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Here's what he said.

    Obamacare is “the worst thing that has happened in this nation since slavery. It is slavery because it aims to make all of us subservient to the government,” he said. “It was never about health care. It was about control. Socialized medicine is the keystone in the establishment of a socialist state.”
    But how does purchasing your own health insurance from a private insurance company make you subservient to the government? That's the ridiculous part of it! The government (state or federal) isn't the underwriter of the insurance policies that would be found on the exchanges. Private insurance companies retain that marketplace. All the fed has done is "standardize" the essential benefits within insurance policies at all levels - Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum. Moreover, since the majority of people (the working class) still obtain their health insurance through their employer, how does anything about the acquisition of private health insurance change at this point? You can make the slippery-slope argument if you wish - that someday health insurance may become available strictly through the government, but as long as the government doesn't become the underwriter of the policies, it's still a private health insurance market. At this point, all government has done is standardize the policies, streamline the purchasing process (that is once the federal exchange website final becomes fully functional ), and attempt to find ways (through taxation, a Constitutionally upheld enumerated power of Congress) to fund it all and, thus, make the system financially self-sustaining.

    Again, rational people who have studied both the health care and health insurance industries understand this. I'm in no way saying that ObamaCare is the best way to do it, but if you understand how the free market works (i.e., the stock exchange), then you understand the principle behind the acquisition of health insurance through ObamaCare.
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 10-14-13 at 01:43 PM.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •