Page 18 of 162 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 1617

Thread: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

  1. #171
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,721

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post


    Because they couldn't just regulate anything they felt like it and call it a pollutant.
    Apdst's premise relies on the assumption that a change to a regulation must have been made logically. I gave him an example in which he believes this not to be the case. However, he doesn't seem to grasp that it's possible that the Not Death Panels clause was removed even though it was harmless. He literally thinks it's impossible for a helpful clause to be removed, because if it was helpful, it wouldn't be removed. Circular logic I've tried to help him out of. To no avail.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #172
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    Well certain parts of it are involuntary servitude, but the federal government has many laws that amount to involuntary servitude, so that isn't exactly new. Of course, the government is always about expanding it's control, so again, that isn't new.

  3. #173
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Yes, but that doesn't make his assessment of the state of our nation accurate.

    I've heard this stupid analogy being made by many people - mostly from those who don't like ObamaCare - and I think to myself, "These folks can't be serious!?!"

    Slavery held only certain people in bondage due to the color of their skin. Not everyone was held back from having an opportunity to progress in life or within this country because of the color of their skin. So, that's the first problem with Dr. Carson's slavery analogy.

    Second, slavery was a socio-economic way of life for country, but only those who lived in the south benefitted the most from it. If you lived in the north, you only benefitted from the indirect revenue the slave trade brought in, i.e., slave imports and subsequent sales (but only by the slave traders and shipping merchants themselves); molasses, rum, tobacco, tea exports. The south benefited from the direct revenues slavery brought in mostly in agriculture, but also in their domestication and in some cases the local sales of slaves. It was the reciprocal earnings from crops that drew the biggest ire from those on the side of pro-slavery. They worried their entire economy (not to mention their entire way of life) would be severely disrupted if slavery were abolished. No slaves, no farming. No slaves, no carriage drivers for wealthy plantation owners. No slaves, no domestic hands to clean their homes, cook their meals, wash their clothes, or babysit their children. And that's just naming those tasks the history books showcase for the typical "house nigga".

    To suggest that the health care law is anything like the fight to preserve slavery in any way is so ridiculous even calling such an analogy "ridiculous" doesn't quite explain the ridiculousness of it all. Now, if you want to say this country hasn't had an issue so deeply divide both sides of our political system nor the country so widely, then I can certainly see the argument. But to compare ObamaCare to slavery is just ignorant.
    No one is oppressing you because you have to have health insurance.



    Anyone who is not happy in the USA can always leave. The entrance to the exit is wide open.




    "Better days are coming." ~ But not for today's out of touch, running out of time, GOP."

  4. #174
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Yeah? How's that?
    Knowing all your options is helpful. For some reason you think lack of information is better. It's not.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #175
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,269

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Apdst's premise relies on the assumption that a change to a regulation must have been made logically. I gave him an example in which he believes this not to be the case. However, he doesn't seem to grasp that it's possible that the Not Death Panels clause was removed even though it was harmless. He literally thinks it's impossible for a helpful clause to be removed, because if it was helpful, it wouldn't be removed. Circular logic I've tried to help him out of. To no avail.
    My point is, if section 1233 was such an important part of the Acrid Care Act, why did the Democrats so willingly remove it from the bill?

    They didn't put up much of a fight. Care to explain that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #176
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Anyone who is not happy in the USA can always leave. The entrance to the exit is wide open.
    Liberals should have taken that advice in 100+ years ago.

    Btw, I would get taxed if I were to leave. I guess I earn too much to practice freedom of movement. :/

  7. #177
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,269

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Knowing all your options is helpful. For some reason you think lack of information is better. It's not.
    Explain to us how section 1233 was such a good part of the bill and use cites to support your argument.

    Can't do it...can you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #178
    controlled chaos
    Gaugingcatenate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Formerly of the Southern USA, now permanently in the mountains of Panama
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,159

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    Those buildings you refer to as Dem, they now have a Republican flag over them, the stars and bars..
    Thank god for a Republican Flag, not the stars and bars however. The stars and bars were always and will stay always Southern Democrat. Ask someone who knows if the stars and bars were over the Arkansas gov's mansion under BJ, eh?

    Yeah, Republicans didn't just come down in Reconstruction and leave this time, we just came down, converted the willing [ the non hard liner Democrats came to our side, of the old hardliners only one, Strom, came over this side...and he had changed his tune ] as there were many willing, nobody of right mind agreed with the Southern Democrats loosing the dogs and water hoses on children, be they of any race. Southerners previously turned a blind eye to all that for too long, but the television age forced them from their isolated comfort zones, forced them to confront this sickness and pretty much exterminate the gawd awfulness of it.

    But then again, seeing your caricatures, one perceives that with those comic book distortions, that one could know little of the real history.
    "...But resist we much, we must and we will much, about that be committed..." --- the right Reverend Alfred Charles "Al" Shaprton, Jr.

  9. #179
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Knowing all your options is helpful. For some reason you think lack of information is better. It's not.
    Why can't doctors provide the information they want to provide? Why does the government need to get involved? Is it actually needed to tell patients they can choose death? Btw, can you decide to die. Just sayin'..

  10. #180
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Anyone who is not happy in the USA can always leave. The entrance to the exit is wide open.
    That's right. No country has had as many problems protecting their borders as the USA.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •