Page 155 of 162 FirstFirst ... 55105145153154155156157 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,550 of 1617

Thread: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

  1. #1541
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Opinion
    So? Seriously, all of us are mostly dealing in opinion. Why do you think that is a point? I've at least defined slavery.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #1542
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    So? Seriously, all of us are mostly dealing in opinion. Why do you think that is a point? I've at least defined slavery.
    So, now you think your definition is the only one that matters...you prove my point. But it is at least entertaining watching you display your arrogance.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #1543
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,409

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Too bad you think so. Too bad that your opinion only recognizes chattel slavery as the only form, that's quite myopic of you. And too bad you find opinions differing from yours bothersome. That's your problem.
    Yes, I remember that time I was a little late paying my personal property taxes and this big white plantation owner tied me to a post and horsewhipped me for it. Then there was the time I filled an extension on my state income tax return, and one of our kids was sold at auction to another white plantation owner in another state. I have not seen him since. Then there was the time I made a mistake on a tax return, and my wife was raped and impregnated by a local white landowner because of it. Of course, he took the baby away as soon as it was born and smothered it so that his wife would not know.

    Thank God last time they gave me a choice. They said, either you get a health insurance policy that can't deny you coverage due to preexisting conditions, or you take a horsewhipping. I took that horsewhipping of course. After all, who wouldn't.

    Yes, you are exactly right, taxes and the ACA are just like slavery...
    Last edited by SouthernDemocrat; 12-11-13 at 02:26 PM.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  4. #1544
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Yes, I remember that time I was a little late paying my personal property taxes and this big white plantation owner tied me to a post and horsewhipped me for it. Then there was the time I filled an extension on my state income tax return, and one of our kids was sold at auction to another white plantation owner in another state. I have not seen him since. Then there was the time I made a mistake on a tax return, and my wife was raped and impregnated by a local white landowner because of it. Of course, he took the baby away as soon as it was born and smothered it so that his wife would not know.

    Thank God last time they gave me a choice. They said, either you get a health insurance policy that can't deny you coverage due to preexisting conditions, or you take a horsewhipping. I took that horsewhipping of course. After all, who wouldn't.

    Yes, you are exactly right, taxes and the ACA are just like slavery...
    So, here we have as another that can not distinguish between 'chattel' slavery, and the slavery of the state over your labor. If the state can force you to buy a product you don't want, or don't need, then they own your labor.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #1545
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    So, here we have as another that can not distinguish between 'chattel' slavery, and the slavery of the state over your labor. If the state can force you to buy a product you don't want, or don't need, then they own your labor.
    That's not slavery. The most liberal definition of slavery is work without pay. There is no such definition that would met what you're laying out. And no, buying something isn't labor. Nor is it control of labor. And need? Get in a major accident or contract a major illness, or that for one of your loved ones, and then talk need. When comes to health, no one can predict need.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #1546
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    That's not slavery. The most liberal definition of slavery is work without pay. There is no such definition that would met what you're laying out. And no, buying something isn't labor. Nor is it control of labor. And need? Get in a major accident or contract a major illness, or that for one of your loved ones, and then talk need. When comes to health, no one can predict need.
    Bull. If I earn money for my labor, and you force me to buy something with the money I earned, that I don't want or need, and pay more for it than is necessary in order to pay for someone else as well, you are on control of a portion of my labor by force. That's slavery.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #1547
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Bull. If I earn money for my labor, and you force me to buy something with the money I earned, that I don't want or need, and pay more for it than is necessary in order to pay for someone else as well, you are on control of a portion of my labor by force. That's slavery.
    lol, that's not slavery. You can say it's theft or blackmail or something, but it's not slavery lol
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  8. #1548
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Bull. If I earn money for my labor, and you force me to buy something with the money I earned, that I don't want or need, and pay more for it than is necessary in order to pay for someone else as well, you are on control of a portion of my labor by force. That's slavery.
    You still have most of your earnings. And we've made you buy car insurance and have other rules as well. In any case, it isn't forcing your labor. You don't have to work for anyone or work without being paid. You merely have to do the responsible thing, so that others don't have to do it for you. And slavery isn't a portion, but all of it. Making you pay a nickle toll each day isn't slavery, even if we make you pay it everyday.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #1549
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,409

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    So, here we have as another that can not distinguish between 'chattel' slavery, and the slavery of the state over your labor. If the state can force you to buy a product you don't want, or don't need, then they own your labor.
    You sound like an anarchist. The state requires you to have insurance on your car, I suppose that means they own my labor. They require me to send my kids to school, numerous expenses result from that, I suppose that means they own my labor. What if I want my kids to grow up ignorant and illiterate? Who is the state to tell me that I can't make that choice for my kids and thus I must pay hundreds of dollars of fees every year to enroll them as well as incur other expenses related to their education throughout the school year. If I purchase a new car battery they state requires me to pay a disposal fee for the old one? What if I just want to throw it out on my own property? Why can't I do that? I work in a city that levies a 1% local tax on my income even though I don't live in that city. Why should I have to pay for that cities infrastructure when I don't live in it?

    I suppose in your mind all that is just different forms of enslavement. Just another variation of what the blacks endured in the old south, what child soldiers endure in war torn regions of Africa, what the North Koreans endure in forced labor camps... Sure, to you its not chattel slavery, but its slavery just the same..

    These types of comparisons that the lunatic fringe likes to make are not just ridiculous, they are offensive. They are a slap in the face to people in this world that do endure real totalitarianism and actual enslavement. What do you think a North Korean born in a massive labor camp whose entire life consists of toiling in the most inhumane conditions imaginable every day, 18 hours or more a day, all year long, for all their life, being told when to wake, when they can sleep, and living in constant starvation... what do you think that individual would think of you or Dr. Carson (a successful man that lives a life of wealth and privilege) comparing a government program like the ACA to slavery? Do you think they would agree with such a comparison? I would imagine they would think you were either crazy or just being like a little baby throwing a fit because you were not getting your way. I assure you though they would not think your comparison to be valid in anyway at all.
    Last edited by SouthernDemocrat; 12-11-13 at 06:19 PM.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  10. #1550
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Dr. Carson: Obamacare The Worst Thing That Has Happened Since Slavery

    Car insurance is imposed or not by the state you love in, not the federal government. Apple's and oranges really. Plus you have the privilege to drive. Are you people really trying to say that I am afforded life and liberty as a privilege?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •