Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 93

Thread: Self-Professed ‘Bible Scholar’ Makes Explosive Allegation About Jesus

  1. #1
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,044

    Self-Professed ‘Bible Scholar’ Makes Explosive Allegation About Jesus

    Self-Professed ‘Bible Scholar’ Makes Explosive Allegation About Jesus

    Rather than a theology, Atwill believes that Christianity was concocted as a government project that was used to control Roman citizens. During a time in which Jewish residents were waiting for their Messiah, he says they were a constant source of insurrection, leading the Romans to seek out an equalizing and tempering force.


    "When the Romans had exhausted conventional means of quashing rebellion, they switched to psychological warfare," Atwill explains in the press release. "They surmised that the way to stop the spread of zealous Jewish missionary activity was to create a competing belief system."


    And that's when Jesus was allegedly created - a man who advocated peace rather than violence. Atwill contends that the Christ that billions embrace never actually existed and that he is a "fictional character."


    He bases his theory on a study of "Wars of the Jews," a book by Josephus, a scholar who provided insight and documentation first-century Judea. The historian contends that the prophesies of Jesus line up with Josephus' writings about the Jewish-Roman war and are, thus, proof that "the biography of Jesus is actually constructed, tip to stern, on prior stories, but especially on the biography of a Roman Caesar."
    Let me start off by saying that I am as big an atheist as they come. I have no belief in gods or any mythology associated with them. I choose facts and empirical evidence over faith. However, I find there is a strong amount of evidence from both primary and secondary sources to support the claims of a figured called Jesus during the 1st century C.E. Not only do I find there is a strong amount of evidence, I would even concede he was, in his time, a moderately popular religious figure.

    That said, we now enter a path led by people both secular and religious who do not understand how researching works. Every time I turn on the History Channel there is some ridiculous show promoting Atlantis, aliens or bigfoot. Every time I hear some Christian on TV telling millions that humans and dinosaurs walk together, I cringe. Every time I read about the latest Muslim scholar proclaiming that Islamic scholars in the 5th century understood the workings of the Big Bang, I laugh. Every time I hear some hippie claim that Mayans/Aztecs/Nostradamus predicted great catastrophes in the 21st century, I simply walk away.

    This is the abomination we've been lead to by allowing anybody to call their copy & paste jobs "theories". We now live in a world where the most spurious associations of secondary sources can be considered to be enough for a "theory". The media in general has been invaded by a freemarket phylosophy. If it's stupid but it sells, it's not stupid. The media has ignored the work of objective scientists (due to what I think is lack of attention grabbing headlines) and put any idiot on the stage to sell his latest book and documentary. I suspect it is because journals in these disciplines are at times boring to read. It's simply easier and far more profitable to grab the magical bits of a story put them in a blender and sell it to the highest bidding TV network.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 10-11-13 at 05:56 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #2
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,803

    Re: Self-Professed ‘Bible Scholar’ Makes Explosive Allegation About Jesus

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Self-Professed ‘Bible Scholar’ Makes Explosive Allegation About Jesus



    Let me start off by saying that I am as big an atheist as they come. I have no belief in gods or any mythology associated with them. I choose facts and empirical evidence over faith. However, I find there is a strong amount of evidence from both primary and secondary sources to support the claims of a figured called Jesus during the 1st century C.E. Not only do I find there is a strong amount of evidence, I would even concede he was, in his time, a moderately popular religious figure.

    That said, we now enter a path led by people both secular and religious who do not understand how researching works. Every time I turn on the History Channel there is some ridiculous show promoting Atlantis, aliens or bigfoot. Every time I hear some Christian on TV telling millions that humans and dinosaurs walk together, I cringe. Every time I read about the latest Muslim scholar proclaiming that Islamic scholars in the 5th century understood the workings of the Big Bang, I laugh. Every time I hear some hippie claim that Mayans/Aztecs/Nostradamus predicted great catastrophes in the 21st century, I simply walk away.

    This is the abomination we've been lead to by allowing anybody to call their copy & paste jobs "theories". We now live in a world where the most spurious associations of secondary sources can be considered to be enough for a "theory". The media in general has been invaded by a freemarket phylosophy. If it's stupid but it sells, it's not stupid. The media has ignored the work of objective scientists (due to what I think is lack of attention grabbing headlines) and put any idiot on the stage to sell his latest book and documentary. I suspect it is because journals in these disciplines are at times boring to read. It's simply easier and far more profitable to grab the magical bits of a story put them in a blender and sell it to the highest bidding TV network.
    I've actually read the book. The argument is compelling and well documented. Atwell is not some half baked crazy who threw a bunch of crap together to pen a schlock based book.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  3. #3
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Self-Professed ‘Bible Scholar’ Makes Explosive Allegation About Jesus

    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  4. #4
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:43 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,067

    Re: Self-Professed ‘Bible Scholar’ Makes Explosive Allegation About Jesus

    Once upon a time, there was this atom. No one knew where it came from, nor did they know where the space it existed in came from. No one knew that there was this magical set of "rules" that made stuff do stuff the same way over and over and over.

    Then, one day, the atom was walking down the vacuum trail and it bumped into another atom, and..............BOOM!

    And that's how the flat screen TV and the internet were created. It's also where classical music and quantum physics were derived, not to mention the invention of peanut butter and jelly.

    It was all just a big accident.

    The end.

  5. #5
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,803

    Re: Self-Professed ‘Bible Scholar’ Makes Explosive Allegation About Jesus

    Tiberius Flavius










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  6. #6
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,797

    Re: Self-Professed ‘Bible Scholar’ Makes Explosive Allegation About Jesus

    while interesting this isne even the first to hear of this


    what is a FACT is that there were other religions with the same basic story line, wise men, birth of jesus (or like character) BEFORE and DURING Christianity.

    So with that fact the likelihood of Christianity being true/accurate is actually VERY VERY small and more than likely not true at all timeline wise/story wise.

    but that does not mean theres no god and religion is wrong etc just the "stories" are greatly inaccurate and false.

    I still have faith in my religion and its basic principles but unlike many i use my religion properly.
    My religion is for ME and thats it, its a tool used to guide me to what i perceive as a well being.
    It is NEVER used solely for pure judgment or forced on others.

    Only complete morons do that and this common mistake is responsible for more bloodshed on this planet than anything else.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Self-Professed ‘Bible Scholar’ Makes Explosive Allegation About Jesus

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Once upon a time, there was this atom. No one knew where it came from, nor did they know where the space it existed in came from. No one knew that there was this magical set of "rules" that made stuff do stuff the same way over and over and over.

    Then, one day, the atom was walking down the vacuum trail and it bumped into another atom, and..............BOOM!

    And that's how the flat screen TV and the internet were created. It's also where classical music and quantum physics were derived, not to mention the invention of peanut butter and jelly.

    It was all just a big accident.

    The end.
    What I find interesting is the need for some people to "rationalize" the unknown into "God did it". Specifically they even go further to say a "Christian, Muslim, etc God did it". There are so many other possilibities other than "No God" or "Christian, Muslim God" yet people are stuck on finite possibilities. Other choices include "A God (Or Gods) created the world and left it", "Multiple Gods here now", etc. Why is it that people cannot accept any of those, but choose to "follow like lemmings" into a nice fitting group like Christianity or Islam, etc?

    What makes Christianity or Islam any more rational than the choices I just listed?

  8. #8
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Self-Professed ‘Bible Scholar’ Makes Explosive Allegation About Jesus

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Self-Professed ‘Bible Scholar’ Makes Explosive Allegation About Jesus



    Let me start off by saying that I am as big an atheist as they come. I have no belief in gods or any mythology associated with them. I choose facts and empirical evidence over faith. However, I find there is a strong amount of evidence from both primary and secondary sources to support the claims of a figured called Jesus during the 1st century C.E. Not only do I find there is a strong amount of evidence, I would even concede he was, in his time, a moderately popular religious figure.

    That said, we now enter a path led by people both secular and religious who do not understand how researching works. Every time I turn on the History Channel there is some ridiculous show promoting Atlantis, aliens or bigfoot. Every time I hear some Christian on TV telling millions that humans and dinosaurs walk together, I cringe. Every time I read about the latest Muslim scholar proclaiming that Islamic scholars in the 5th century understood the workings of the Big Bang, I laugh. Every time I hear some hippie claim that Mayans/Aztecs/Nostradamus predicted great catastrophes in the 21st century, I simply walk away.

    This is the abomination we've been lead to by allowing anybody to call their copy & paste jobs "theories". We now live in a world where the most spurious associations of secondary sources can be considered to be enough for a "theory". The media in general has been invaded by a freemarket phylosophy. If it's stupid but it sells, it's not stupid. The media has ignored the work of objective scientists (due to what I think is lack of attention grabbing headlines) and put any idiot on the stage to sell his latest book and documentary. I suspect it is because journals in these disciplines are at times boring to read. It's simply easier and far more profitable to grab the magical bits of a story put them in a blender and sell it to the highest bidding TV network.
    For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't, no proof is enough.
    We'll never know the answer. If we're smart, we'll err on the safe side.

  9. #9
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,044

    Re: Self-Professed ‘Bible Scholar’ Makes Explosive Allegation About Jesus

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    what is a FACT is that there were other religions with the same basic story line, wise men, birth of jesus (or like character) BEFORE and DURING Christianity.
    I'm not speaking about the more faith based aspects of a religion. I'm talking about what we do know is fact. We know there is was a historical figure named Jesus. You don't even have to be a Christian to accept that fact. What people have added on to him (Mathew) is irrelevant. This guy is basically saying Jesus never existed to begin with.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #10
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:43 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,067

    Re: Self-Professed ‘Bible Scholar’ Makes Explosive Allegation About Jesus

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    while interesting this isne even the first to hear of this


    what is a FACT is that there were other religions with the same basic story line, wise men, birth of jesus (or like character) BEFORE and DURING Christianity.

    So with that fact the likelihood of Christianity being true/accurate is actually VERY VERY small and more than likely not true at all timeline wise/story wise.

    but that does not mean theres no god and religion is wrong etc just the "stories" are greatly inaccurate and false.

    I still have faith in my religion and its basic principles but unlike many i use my religion properly.
    My religion is for ME and thats it, its a tool used to guide me to what i perceive as a well being.
    It is NEVER used solely for pure judgment or forced on others.

    Only complete morons do that and this common mistake is responsible for more bloodshed on this planet than anything else.
    There were hundreds of professed messiahs during the time. And many had followings. Yet only one had staying power, and not only staying power, but growth in every direction, among the wealthy and poor, scholars and illiterates, kings and paupers, and in virtually every language.

    A faith grew that has become the most accepting, most charitable, most loving, and most goodwilled religion the planet has seen. It's survived the multiple attempts to hijack it and twist it for evil, and it's always corrected and exposed those who tried.

    It is the strongest and most loving power this earth has ever seen.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •