Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 93

Thread: Self-Professed ‘Bible Scholar’ Makes Explosive Allegation About Jesus

  1. #81
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: Self-Professed ‘Bible Scholar’ Makes Explosive Allegation About Jesus

    Quote Originally Posted by laska View Post
    I've tried to decipher what you are saying but i don't get it. Maybe I misinterpreted what you were saying and my point is not related to it.

    1.)Here is all I am saying, a lot of people state as fact that the NT writers just borrowed from more ancient traditions in concocting the Jesus story as found in the NT gospels which only undermines the entire religion. 2.) They don't seem to realize that if Christianity as found in the NT and taught by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is what it claims, then there should be traces of the Jesus story in other ancient sources as the gospel of Christ on this earth would be approximately four thousand years older than the NT, and predates the traditions that the NT writers supposedly borrowed from.
    3.) Let me give an example that hopefully makes clear the point I am trying to make. Let's say Latin had become a lost language and we only have the several romance languages that descended from it. Then let's say in 1823 the original Latin language was discovered. Is it proper to call it a modern hoax just because there are traces of Italian, Spanish, Portuguese in it?

    1.) well im not saying its a fact that NT borrowed anything but it is a fact that very similar religions existed before its origin.
    as far as undermining it thats up to each individual

    2.) again you are talking about TEACHINGS and not fact and those teaching do not account for the "traces" because the times are way off, that doesnt explain anything.

    3.) your example doesnt work because it does deal with times lines, it doesnt fit. I know what you are trying to say but teachings arent facts and do nothing to explain the dramatically varying timelines.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #82
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,868

    Re: Self-Professed ‘Bible Scholar’ Makes Explosive Allegation About Jesus

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    You could just as easily be describing Aerosmith.
    "Sweet Emotion" was a sweet tune, bro.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  3. #83
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,868

    Re: Self-Professed ‘Bible Scholar’ Makes Explosive Allegation About Jesus

    Quote Originally Posted by Un biased View Post
    Still doesn't explain why the romans made a sport of feeding Christians to lions .
    They didn't.

    The Romans were known to throw people to the lions with disturbing frequency; there's little evidence that they targeted Christians specifically except for a few random decades in the span of a few hundred years.

    While I don't buy into the divinity of Jesus Christ for a second, it's pretty well established that there was a guy calling himself Jesus who the type of rabble-rouser that the Romans didn't particularly care for (with all that alms for the poor and stuff), and yeah, they got rid of him. That said, Christianity certainly wouldn't have become the dominant religion of the Empire, completely displacing the Roman gods, within 300 years if the Romans were just getting the Christians chomped all willy-nilly.

    Persecution basically ran from the mid-first century until about 260 A.D., give or take a few years on either side. But as long as you didn't speak out against the Roman Empire, they basically left you alone. The biggest reason the Romans were able to build such a huge empire is that they DIDN'T demand you give up your customs. As they expanded, they assimiliated the Germanic tribes, the Africans, the Greeks, the Middle Eastern folk, and for the most part the Romans were just fine if you kept worshiping whatever deity you wanted to as long as you paid your taxes and served your time in the military. Considering that it was still the first millennium, the Romans were a remarkably inclusive society.

    The only time Christianity was really out-and-out banned in the RE was for a couple of decades early in the fourth century, and it was adopted as the state religion less than a century later. Sure, you had your random despots and idiotic emperors who would issue decrees, but the Roman empire was so expansive that the regional governors and officials had true control, and they weren't stupid enough to start offing Christians left and right for no reason. The persecution of Christians in the Roman empire, while real, is WAY overblown.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  4. #84
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    11-12-13 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    433

    Re: Self-Professed ‘Bible Scholar’ Makes Explosive Allegation About Jesus

    It's at least encouraging to see that Americans are engaged in the discussion of sky fairies. It's the first step being taken to extinguish it completely over not too many years.

    Scientific fact has outgrown Christianity and that will lead to some new form of religion that can coexist with science. Humans will not grow out of needing the crutch that religions provide.

    And in fact, it's already progressing along quite nicely in other countries where organized church based religion is being thrown out and replaced with a generic religion of believing there is a god that exists but it is nothing like what the bible imagines. Even some Americans are expressing that sort of belief. Probably now the majority as the numbers of traditional believers who go to church has dwindled to few.

    Even the churches are involved in making changes in attempts to reconcile ancient beliefs with today's reality!

  5. #85
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Self-Professed ‘Bible Scholar’ Makes Explosive Allegation About Jesus

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael66 View Post
    It's at least encouraging to see that Americans are engaged in the discussion of sky fairies. It's the first step being taken to extinguish it completely over not too many years.
    1)It's not really encouraging seeing someone putting on airs while generalizing about numerous individuals.

    2) I really see nothing worse about religion than any other ideology. problems arise when that ideology gets imposed on reality, as opposed to simply informing it

    Scientific fact has outgrown Christianity and that will lead to some new form of religion that can coexist with science. Humans will not grow out of needing the crutch that religions provide.

    And in fact, it's already progressing along quite nicely in other countries where organized church based religion is being thrown out and replaced with a generic religion of believing there is a god that exists but it is nothing like what the bible imagines. Even some Americans are expressing that sort of belief. Probably now the majority as the numbers of traditional believers who go to church has dwindled to few.
    I think it was Carl Sagan in "demon Haunted world" that remarked the soviets seemed to simply replace their irrational beliefs in a supernatural god with that of ancient astronauts and aliens.

    We're fundamentally irrational creatures and that isn't simply going to change if we abandon organized religion. At the end of the day, we will still be a rather violent and base species

  6. #86
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    11-12-13 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    433

    Re: Self-Professed ‘Bible Scholar’ Makes Explosive Allegation About Jesus

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    1)It's not really encouraging seeing someone putting on airs while generalizing about numerous individuals.

    2) I really see nothing worse about religion than any other ideology. problems arise when that ideology gets imposed on reality, as opposed to simply informing it



    I think it was Carl Sagan in "demon Haunted world" that remarked the soviets seemed to simply replace their irrational beliefs in a supernatural god with that of ancient astronauts and aliens.

    We're fundamentally irrational creatures and that isn't simply going to change if we abandon organized religion. At the end of the day, we will still be a rather violent and base species
    Ancient astronauts and aliens has been tried but has failed to work. It's nothing but more of the supernatural. I think something new needs to be tried but I don't know what it could be specifically. It might find it's roots in Buddhism though it would need a chance of an afterlife. Human frailty demands that in some form of course and is really all that keeps any religion alive. Along with that, great care will have to be taken to not fly in the face of science.

    Trouble is, no matter what is dreamed up now probably is going to be compromised by science in a hundred years or so.

  7. #87
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Self-Professed ‘Bible Scholar’ Makes Explosive Allegation About Jesus

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael66 View Post
    Ancient astronauts and aliens has been tried but has failed to work. It's nothing but more of the supernatural.
    That was my point. The nature of the irrational may change, but people still tend to be irrational and believe irrational things.

  8. #88
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    11-12-13 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    433

    Re: Self-Professed ‘Bible Scholar’ Makes Explosive Allegation About Jesus

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    That was my point. The nature of the irrational may change, but people still tend to be irrational and believe irrational things.
    I got your point. I'm saying that the change will have to be away from something that can easily be proven irrational, such as Chrisitanity, toward something that can stand the test of science. A god that offers the prospect of an afterlife will have to be the choice unless humans become capable of rising above the frailty of needing one.

    It would still need to be organized some way so some sort of movement would have to capitalize on it. An economic endeavour that offers something in return for money. Nothing but a promise of an afterlife will fill the bill.

  9. #89
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Self-Professed ‘Bible Scholar’ Makes Explosive Allegation About Jesus

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael66 View Post
    I got your point. I'm saying that the change will have to be away from something that can easily be proven irrational, such as Chrisitanity, toward something that can stand the test of science. A god that offers the prospect of an afterlife will have to be the choice unless humans become capable of rising above the frailty of needing one.

    It would still need to be organized some way so some sort of movement would have to capitalize on it. An economic endeavour that offers something in return for money. Nothing but a promise of an afterlife will fill the bill.
    If you look at the more modern religions this has already happened, with everything from Mormonism, the nation of Islam, and Scientology. All represent attempts to reconcile current scientific knowledge (though often hilarious inexact or simply wrong) with religious belief. Even newer fringe cults like Heaven's gate attempt this

    Like old Kierkegaard said, there is only room for god in the unknown

  10. #90
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    11-12-13 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    433

    Re: Self-Professed ‘Bible Scholar’ Makes Explosive Allegation About Jesus

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    If you look at the more modern religions this has already happened, with everything from Mormonism, the nation of Islam, and Scientology. All represent attempts to reconcile current scientific knowledge (though often hilarious inexact or simply wrong) with religious belief. Even newer fringe cults like Heaven's gate attempt this

    Like old Kierkegaard said, there is only room for god in the unknown
    To some extent yes, but they can't model themselves off of Christianity and expect to attract the masses which would go into making a new religion. Mormonism is probably the best example of an attempt that was bound for failure when they asked the sheep to believe that it came out of gazing into a hat. And the tablets? That may have worked back in the days of it's founding but is just too incredible to believe in now.

    For a more forward looking attempt you could look at the ID'ers and their failed agenda. They took science and tried to make it work for their religious agenda. They ended up being shot down in flames in a court of law.

    It's going to take a complete abandoning of Christianity with all it's sky fairy nonsense and it's lies. That probably won't be possible until the sheep have something else to turn to in order to comfort themselves. It's going to have to involve another life after this one and that's pretty well consistent with them all anyway. And it's especially going to have to be non-specific so it can stand the test of time.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •