Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 50 of 50

Thread: ND farmer finds oil spill while harvesting wheat

  1. #41
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,762

    Re: ND farmer finds oil spill while harvesting wheat

    A potential bonanza of jobs will come from eventual Mandatory Recycling--no more garbage..No garbagepeople will lose their jobs--just that they will have to go higher tech and "someone" will have to coordinate the **** that folks recycle..Let folks do their own recyle, like my hoarding wife..TR would say what should this look like in 100 years?? A question I asked my students for a career.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Economic growth attracts crime. When the economic growth stops, crime persists. Case in point: Detroit and every other major city today. "Conventional wisdom" isn't a measurable statistic.
    Last edited by NIMBY; 10-12-13 at 01:06 PM.
    Physics is Phun

  2. #42
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: ND farmer finds oil spill while harvesting wheat

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    A potential bonanza of jobs will come from eventual Mandatory Recycling--no more garbage..No garbagepeople will lose their jobs--just that they will have to go higher tech and "someone" will have to coordinate the **** that folks recycle..Let folks do their own recyle, like my hoarding wife..TR would say what should this look like in 100 years?? A question I asked my students for a career.
    I have no idea what it is you're getting at.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: ND farmer finds oil spill while harvesting wheat

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Libbos hate private sector growth, so they're going find some way to denegrate it.
    Do you think you contribute to topics? Honestly?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Economic growth attracts crime. When the economic growth stops, crime persists. Case in point: Detroit and every other major city today. "Conventional wisdom" isn't a measurable statistic.
    I think the case with Detroit is the economic collapse of the city is what lead to the crime not the economic growth that preceded it. Now I can see what you're saying if you're saying that Detroit's crime comes from its abundance of people with so few jobs and little economic opportunity, and the reason so many people are there is because they came for the jobs and economic growth back when Detroit was booming. But I think it would be more accurate to say that the collapse caused the crime rate to skyrocket, and while you cannot collapse without first growing I think its still a bit misleading to say economic growth causes crime.

  4. #44
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,762

    Re: ND farmer finds oil spill while harvesting wheat

    Uh OH..
    I took off from your words economic growth into the 'imagine life in 100 years' meme of mine..
    Great new industries, like hopefully fission>>>fusion, are rare..
    Economic growth could come from mandatory recycling, not to mention cleaning the Earth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I have no idea what it is you're getting at.
    Physics is Phun

  5. #45
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,837

    Re: ND farmer finds oil spill while harvesting wheat

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Ever think that they already do that?

    Sounds more like you're just assuming the worst and don't really know.
    No they don't. If it's not regulated they do what they want whenever they feel like it.

    Can BP bounce back?
    A disastrous leak. A deadly explosion. CEO John Browne must turn his troubled oil giant around, but time is running out.
    October 31 2006

    But the 34-inch pipe has been down since March, when a dime-sized hole caused by corrosion sent nearly 5,000 barrels of crude spilling out across the snow. The oil has been cleaned up, leaving behind a bare two-acre patch of ground, but the leak - and the subsequent discovery that six miles of BP (Charts) pipeline was badly corroded - led not only to the shutdown of much of Prudhoe Bay and the loss of hundreds of millions of dollars but also to a PR disaster that, in a single blow, undid the green reputation CEO John Browne had meticulously crafted for BP over the past decade.

    Since the March leak and the subsequent shutdown this summer, much of the controversy has focused on a practice called pigging - sending a device known as a pig through the pipe (old oilfield hands say pigs take their name from the squealing noise they make going down the line) to clean it as well as monitor it for corrosion, cracks, sediment deposits, and other threats that might lead to a leak. Practices vary, but everyone now agrees the low-velocity transit lines that failed should have been pigged more often. On the west side of Prudhoe Bay, they were last cleaned and checked in 1998, while on the eastern side of the field, the last pig was run in 1991. The Trans-Alaska Pipeline, by contrast, is pigged every 14 days.

    They don't police themselves. Sounds like you have nothing but blind trust in corporations where that trust doesn't belong and damn sure was never earned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  6. #46
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,246

    Re: ND farmer finds oil spill while harvesting wheat

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Do you think you contribute to topics? Honestly?



    I think the case with Detroit is the economic collapse of the city is what lead to the crime not the economic growth that preceded it. Now I can see what you're saying if you're saying that Detroit's crime comes from its abundance of people with so few jobs and little economic opportunity, and the reason so many people are there is because they came for the jobs and economic growth back when Detroit was booming. But I think it would be more accurate to say that the collapse caused the crime rate to skyrocket, and while you cannot collapse without first growing I think its still a bit misleading to say economic growth causes crime.
    Does North Dakota's crime rate and it's relation, or lack there of, to the economic boom contribute to the topic of the thread? Honestly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #47
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,246

    Re: ND farmer finds oil spill while harvesting wheat

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    No they don't. If it's not regulated they do what they want whenever they feel like it.

    Can BP bounce back?
    A disastrous leak. A deadly explosion. CEO John Browne must turn his troubled oil giant around, but time is running out.
    October 31 2006

    Since the March leak and the subsequent shutdown this summer, much of the controversy has focused on a practice called pigging - sending a device known as a pig through the pipe (old oilfield hands say pigs take their name from the squealing noise they make going down the line) to clean it as well as monitor it for corrosion, cracks, sediment deposits, and other threats that might lead to a leak. Practices vary, but everyone now agrees the low-velocity transit lines that failed should have been pigged more often. On the west side of Prudhoe Bay, they were last cleaned and checked in 1998, while on the eastern side of the field, the last pig was run in 1991. The Trans-Alaska Pipeline, by contrast, is pigged every 14 days.

    They don't police themselves. Sounds like you have nothing but blind trust in corporations where that trust doesn't belong and damn sure was never earned.
    The technology wouldn't exist, if no one used it. Think about the nonsense that you're spewing.

    The error in your school of thought, is that you don't realize that these leaks are very bad for business. They cost money in lost time and wasted product; not to mention the bad PR that comes along with it. It's asinine to insist that none of these companies do any preventative maintenance.

    There are companies that exist for the soul purpose of doing preventative maintenance on pipelines.

    This is one of them, based in Louisiana that I've worked with in the past.

    Cetco Energy Services > Solutions and Services > Service Lines > Pipeline

    Your suspension of common sense doesn't equate to the dire need for more government regulation. Not to mention, I can't understand how anyone could put more trust in the government, seeing how they conduct their own business. IOW, how well has the government policed itself in the past???
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #48
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,837

    Re: ND farmer finds oil spill while harvesting wheat

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The technology wouldn't exist, if no one used it. Think about the nonsense that you're spewing.

    The error in your school of thought, is that you don't realize that these leaks are very bad for business. They cost money in lost time and wasted product; not to mention the bad PR that comes along with it. It's asinine to insist that none of these companies do any preventative maintenance.

    There are companies that exist for the soul purpose of doing preventative maintenance on pipelines.

    This is one of them, based in Louisiana that I've worked with in the past.

    Cetco Energy Services > Solutions and Services > Service Lines > Pipeline

    Your suspension of common sense doesn't equate to the dire need for more government regulation. Not to mention, I can't understand how anyone could put more trust in the government, seeing how they conduct their own business. IOW, how well has the government policed itself in the past???
    Which is why there are so many government watchdog orgs out there. And being that it is the government, we the voter are the police of it. Not much you can do about a corporation where it's one share one vote rather than one man one vote and the execs get paid in stock options raising their voting percentages of influence in the company.

    Your post sure seemed to dismiss the very article I pasted showing that they don't give a damn about their pipeline health until it's too late. So don't know how you are surmising that they care sooooo much that they will police themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  9. #49
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,246

    Re: ND farmer finds oil spill while harvesting wheat

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Which is why there are so many government watchdog orgs out there. And being that it is the government, we the voter are the police of it. Not much you can do about a corporation where it's one share one vote rather than one man one vote and the execs get paid in stock options raising their voting percentages of influence in the company.
    Bureaucrats are chosen via referendum? Lois Lerner was elected?

    Your post sure seemed to dismiss the very article I pasted showing that they don't give a damn about their pipeline health until it's too late.
    You're obviously throwing common sense aside, ignoring the fact that poor pipeline maintenance cuts into the profit margin. So, it's childish to state that pipeline owners, "don't give a damn about pipeline health until it's too late". It's nothing more than another Leftist, "private sector companies are evil", temper tantrum.

    So don't know how you are surmising that they care sooooo much that they will police themselves.
    I've proven too you that there are companies whose soul mission is to maintain pipelines, so I don't know what part you can't understand. If the pipeline owners, operators and builders weren't concerned about the integrity of the pipeline, none of the technology used to maintain pipelines would exist. In fact, pipeline maintenance tools and techniques are decades old, as old as pipelines, themselves, as is pointed out in the source you posted previously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #50
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,837

    Re: ND farmer finds oil spill while harvesting wheat

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Bureaucrats are chosen via referendum? Lois Lerner was elected?



    You're obviously throwing common sense aside, ignoring the fact that poor pipeline maintenance cuts into the profit margin. So, it's childish to state that pipeline owners, "don't give a damn about pipeline health until it's too late". It's nothing more than another Leftist, "private sector companies are evil", temper tantrum.



    I've proven too you that there are companies whose soul mission is to maintain pipelines, so I don't know what part you can't understand. If the pipeline owners, operators and builders weren't concerned about the integrity of the pipeline, none of the technology used to maintain pipelines would exist. In fact, pipeline maintenance tools and techniques are decades old, as old as pipelines, themselves, as is pointed out in the source you posted previously.
    Wow... now that you put it that way it's clear why there are NEVER any pipeline leaks... EVAR!!!11!!1!!!!

    That being said, here's a list of pipeline accidents since the year 2000.

    I mean, we have companies "whose soul mission is to maintain pipelines" so these can't possibly be real.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •