Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Report: Obama brings chilling effect on journalism

  1. #1
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,560
    Blog Entries
    11

    Report: Obama brings chilling effect on journalism

    The U.S. government's aggressive prosecution of leaks and efforts to control information are having a chilling effect on journalists and government whistle-blowers, according to a report released Thursday on U.S. press freedoms under the Obama administration.
    Yeah, yeah. The news media still carries Obama's water, though.

    They don't serve the national interest anymore. They distort information and withhold the truth in the service of a liberal agenda alien to ordinary Americans. They might as well all be in jail; they'd do less harm that way.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Report: Obama brings chilling effect on journalism

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    Yeah, yeah. The news media still carries Obama's water, though.

    They don't serve the national interest anymore. They distort information and withhold the truth in the service of a liberal agenda alien to ordinary Americans. They might as well all be in jail; they'd do less harm that way.
    Yes, we should just flood the entire airwaves with the bastion of "fair and balance" from Fox News right? Even with internet, radio, and television, the right still manages to complain about the boogyman of the liberal media. What a sham from the right.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: Report: Obama brings chilling effect on journalism

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    Yeah, yeah. The news media still carries Obama's water, though.

    They don't serve the national interest anymore. They distort information and withhold the truth in the service of a liberal agenda alien to ordinary Americans. They might as well all be in jail; they'd do less harm that way.
    So it was a plan all along.

    Funny, it looks more like the GOP passed the Patriot Act (foolishly) and other national security laws, and Obama is using their powers to prevent sensitive information from being leaked. And of course journalists have never had immunity from prosecution for leaking classified information or protecting the leaker, and have always been prosecuted for doing so.

    So your fixation with Obama on this seems, well, a fixation.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    10-20-13 @ 04:50 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,195

    Re: Report: Obama brings chilling effect on journalism

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    Yeah, yeah. The news media still carries Obama's water, though.

    They don't serve the national interest anymore. They distort information and withhold the truth in the service of a liberal agenda alien to ordinary Americans. They might as well all be in jail; they'd do less harm that way.
    You'd see the same Obot responses in this thread if Obama arrested the entire Tea Party and put them in Concentration Camps

  5. #5
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Report: Obama brings chilling effect on journalism

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    Yeah, yeah. The news media still carries Obama's water, though.

    They don't serve the national interest anymore. They distort information and withhold the truth in the service of a liberal agenda alien to ordinary Americans. They might as well all be in jail; they'd do less harm that way.
    Cough....

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    The Nation? Pfft!

    They don't know of any harm. Therefore there was no harm? Sorry, but a logical fallacy on their part.

    I point out that there was risk of serious harm to innocent people in what Manning did. That much is undeniable, as any reasonable person would admit, and Manning was unforgivably irresponsible.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  6. #6
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Report: Obama brings chilling effect on journalism

    Obama's policy on transparency are horrible. Too bad that violating civil liberties is like the only thing currently getting bipartisan support.

  7. #7
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,560
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Report: Obama brings chilling effect on journalism

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Yes, we should just flood the entire airwaves with the bastion of "fair and balance" from Fox News right? Even with internet, radio, and television, the right still manages to complain about the boogyman of the liberal media. What a sham from the right.
    Nope, let the jackdaws of the mainstream media go on with their mission. I'm just saying that they are worse than useless these days.

    Quote Originally Posted by head of joaquin View Post
    So it was a plan all along.

    Funny, it looks more like the GOP passed the Patriot Act (foolishly) and other national security laws, and Obama is using their powers to prevent sensitive information from being leaked. And of course journalists have never had immunity from prosecution for leaking classified information or protecting the leaker, and have always been prosecuted for doing so.

    So your fixation with Obama on this seems, well, a fixation.
    As is well known, Obama has prosecuted more leakers than all the other Presidents put together did. So, it is hardly unfair to focus on him.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Cough....
    I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. That I opposed leaks that put American operatives in harm's way and endangered Americans therefore I'm against the free flow of information? How silly. Even if the American news media doesn't regard themselves as being Americans they will be held to the responsibilities that come with being Americans. They are not allowed to give aid and comfort to the enemy, which is what Snowden and that other little pimple have done.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  8. #8
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,733

    Re: Report: Obama brings chilling effect on journalism

    Quote Originally Posted by head of joaquin View Post
    So it was a plan all along.

    Funny, it looks more like the GOP passed the Patriot Act (foolishly) and other national security laws, and Obama is using their powers to prevent sensitive information from being leaked. And of course journalists have never had immunity from prosecution for leaking classified information or protecting the leaker, and have always been prosecuted for doing so.

    So your fixation with Obama on this seems, well, a fixation.
    Patriot Act - a bipartisan act. Funny, both sides voted for it, but you can only fixate on the GOP.

    Your partisan tactics are flagrant.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  9. #9
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Report: Obama brings chilling effect on journalism

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. That I opposed leaks that put American operatives in harm's way and endangered Americans therefore I'm against the free flow of information? How silly. Even if the American news media doesn't regard themselves as being Americans they will be held to the responsibilities that come with being Americans. They are not allowed to give aid and comfort to the enemy, which is what Snowden and that other little pimple have done.
    Here, Ill help you out. Your argument that "the media carries water for Obama" just doesn't hold up for those who published the Snowden and Manning and any other leaks, ie NYT, McClatchy, The Nation...does it?
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  10. #10
    Educator Grendel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-02-13 @ 01:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    704

    Re: Report: Obama brings chilling effect on journalism

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    Yeah, yeah. The news media still carries Obama's water, though.
    It was "the news media", or at least it's members and leaders, who are the ones behind this org that wrote this report. How are they "carrying Obama's water" by saying he's even worse than Bush on secrecy? It's "the news media" that prints all these leaks, as well. How are they "carrying Obama's water"?
    "All that stuff I was taught about evolution, embryology, Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell [the bible] teaches us how to run all our public policy and everything in society." Rep. Paul Broun (R)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •