Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: Is Speaker Boehner backing off Obamacare demands

  1. #1
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Is Speaker Boehner backing off Obamacare demands

    Is the House Republican leadership backing away from its demand that big changes to Obamacare are the price of reopening the government and raising the nation’s debt ceiling?

    That’s what some tea party conservatives are beginning to suspect. They’ve noticed rhetoric from House Speaker John Boehner (R) of Ohio and his allies has changed a bit in recent days. It’s focusing on the word “conversation” – as in, what the GOP wants is for President Obama to give in and talk to them. The GOP leadership is talking more about the general prospect of tax reform and budget restraint, as opposed to the Affordable Care Act in particular.


    Is Speaker Boehner backing off Obamacare demands?


    Looks like the more sane wing of the GOP is getting tired of the tea party gnats that are bringing their party down.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: Is Speaker Boehner backing off Obamacare demands

    It looks as if he's accommodated the tea party freaks as much as he could without causing the apocalypse and now he has to risk alienated them and starting a civil war in the GOP.

    Man, I feel sorry for that drunk tanoholic.

  3. #3
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Is Speaker Boehner backing off Obamacare demands

    Quote Originally Posted by head of joaquin View Post
    It looks as if he's accommodated the tea party freaks as much as he could without causing the apocalypse and now he has to risk alienated them and starting a civil war in the GOP.

    Man, I feel sorry for that drunk tanoholic.
    Apocalypse, hahahahahaha
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  4. #4
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Is Speaker Boehner backing off Obamacare demands

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Apocalypse, hahahahahaha
    No, it works. Hear me out:

    China = Communism.
    Communism = Satan.
    China = Major Debt Holder
    Satan = Major Debt Holder
    Default = Major Debt Holder Demands Payment
    Default = Satan Demands Payment

    Quote Originally Posted by Revelations 6:1-2
    I watched as the Lamb opened the first of the seven seals. Then I heard one of the four living creatures say in a voice like thunder, "Interest payments are past due!"
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Speaker Boehner backing off Obamacare demands

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Is the House Republican leadership backing away from its demand that big changes to Obamacare are the price of reopening the government and raising the nation’s debt ceiling?

    That’s what some tea party conservatives are beginning to suspect. They’ve noticed rhetoric from House Speaker John Boehner (R) of Ohio and his allies has changed a bit in recent days. It’s focusing on the word “conversation” – as in, what the GOP wants is for President Obama to give in and talk to them. The GOP leadership is talking more about the general prospect of tax reform and budget restraint, as opposed to the Affordable Care Act in particular.


    Is Speaker Boehner backing off Obamacare demands?


    Looks like the more sane wing of the GOP is getting tired of the tea party gnats that are bringing their party down.
    This seems to be his general plan. Get some concessions, kick the can down the road. Repeat over and over again and constantly leave the debt ceiling and the budget in limbo as a recurring power play over and over. If the dems never call his bluff then he will just keep on kicking it a bit further down the road. the problem now is the tea party actually is in a fit and wants to destroy the entire US because it is no longer under their control. They would rather burn the house down than to see atheists, gays, muslims, blacks, hispanics, as part of the elite power structure and a part of the middle class as per their ratio in society. Boehner just wants bribes and his power. I do not think he is a fundie christian that is rooting for the apocalypse like bachman is. He is a businessman who wants to remain rich and powerful along with his rich friends. Unfortunately his patient plan of slow extortion from the dems due to his weakened republican power base seems to be at it's climactic conclusion over the next year until people get sick and tired of it and give the house, senate, and presidency to the dems again. That will result in buck wild democrat spending unless the dems go more fiscally conservative because of their right shift to claim the independents and moderates. I doubt it because the dems sell off the middle class wholesale just as quickly as the republicans do. Maybe a real third party will; pop in in the middle to eat up those fed up with dem spending and those fed up with right wing wackydoodles.

  6. #6
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Is Speaker Boehner backing off Obamacare demands

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    No, it works. Hear me out:

    China = Communism.
    Communism = Satan.
    China = Major Debt Holder
    Satan = Major Debt Holder
    Default = Major Debt Holder Demands Payment
    Default = Satan Demands Payment
    Who's going to buy bad debt off of China? Hmmmm?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #7
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,092

    Re: Is Speaker Boehner backing off Obamacare demands

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Is the House Republican leadership backing away from its demand that big changes to Obamacare are the price of reopening the government and raising the nation’s debt ceiling?

    That’s what some tea party conservatives are beginning to suspect. They’ve noticed rhetoric from House Speaker John Boehner (R) of Ohio and his allies has changed a bit in recent days. It’s focusing on the word “conversation” – as in, what the GOP wants is for President Obama to give in and talk to them. The GOP leadership is talking more about the general prospect of tax reform and budget restraint, as opposed to the Affordable Care Act in particular.


    Is Speaker Boehner backing off Obamacare demands?


    Looks like the more sane wing of the GOP is getting tired of the tea party gnats that are bringing their party down.
    There could be some sanity behind all the madness. By keeping this going, he puts more and more pressure and blame on the Tea Party. So when push comes to shove... the Tea Party will be blamed for any bad will concerning the shutdown, and he and the more "normal" members of the GOP can distance themselves from the Tea Party and get out from under their death grip.

    The Tea Party is the single biggest problem with the GOP after the religious right. It has cost the GOP power in the Senate and it cost them seats in the house last election and will cost them seats next election. There is only so much gerrymandering of districts that can be done to make up for seats lost because of Tea Party wackos.
    PeteEU

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Speaker Boehner backing off Obamacare demands

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    There could be some sanity behind all the madness. By keeping this going, he puts more and more pressure and blame on the Tea Party. So when push comes to shove... the Tea Party will be blamed for any bad will concerning the shutdown, and he and the more "normal" members of the GOP can distance themselves from the Tea Party and get out from under their death grip.

    The Tea Party is the single biggest problem with the GOP after the religious right. It has cost the GOP power in the Senate and it cost them seats in the house last election and will cost them seats next election. There is only so much gerrymandering of districts that can be done to make up for seats lost because of Tea Party wackos.
    I agree, they have to cut the tea party loose. The problem is they were harboring those hateful crazies for all these years as their dedicated base. It has tainted their brand pretty bad. At this point I think it would be wiser to pull up the money and rebrand with a new party. Leave the republican name to the loonies and come up with a less fundie laden fiscally conservative base. If the rich doners want to stay with the fundies let them sink their money into the dead party. I think they have really destroyed their party down to the core at this point.

  9. #9
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    15,286

    Re: Is Speaker Boehner backing off Obamacare demands

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Is the House Republican leadership backing away from its demand that big changes to Obamacare are the price of reopening the government and raising the nation’s debt ceiling?

    That’s what some tea party conservatives are beginning to suspect. They’ve noticed rhetoric from House Speaker John Boehner (R) of Ohio and his allies has changed a bit in recent days. It’s focusing on the word “conversation” – as in, what the GOP wants is for President Obama to give in and talk to them. The GOP leadership is talking more about the general prospect of tax reform and budget restraint, as opposed to the Affordable Care Act in particular.


    Is Speaker Boehner backing off Obamacare demands?


    Looks like the more sane wing of the GOP is getting tired of the tea party gnats that are bringing their party down.
    Why is it that Obama can change Obamacare by fiat and the left is fine with that, but when republicans actually try to do the same thing through legislation--you know, how it is supposed to be done--they are wackos who are destroying the party? But it is good to see hypocritical, champion of the little guy liberals applaud Obama carving out a year long exemption for his pals in big business, but not doing the same for the average American. And finally, the Tea Party is not destroying the republican party and the so called 'sane' members are just those you liberals can con or intimidate to side with you. The truth is, stopping Obamacare from being implemented helps democrats because it delays the pain and outrage that Americans are going to feel once this horrible law goes into effect. So 2014 will be a good year for those Tea Party candidates who run on repeal of this monster.

  10. #10
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,092

    Re: Is Speaker Boehner backing off Obamacare demands

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    I agree, they have to cut the tea party loose. The problem is they were harboring those hateful crazies for all these years as their dedicated base. It has tainted their brand pretty bad. At this point I think it would be wiser to pull up the money and rebrand with a new party. Leave the republican name to the loonies and come up with a less fundie laden fiscally conservative base. If the rich doners want to stay with the fundies let them sink their money into the dead party. I think they have really destroyed their party down to the core at this point.
    Problem is the US electoral system is not built for new parties and the fact that many people actually just vote D or R because that is what they always have done.

    Yes the brand is tainted, but with this shut down you have the ability to get rid of people. Look at the shut down under Clinton. Newt was a dictator and highly unpopular among "mainstream" GOPers, but he had the media's eye and came on a wave of change. In the end Clinton got 8 years and is one of the most successful US Presidents in the last 40 years, and where is Newt and all his plans? Out on his ass because his own party hung him and many of his followers out to dry because the GOP was getting blamed for the shut down and in reality he got very little done.

    Like it or not, the GOP (and the Dems) have always lived on the "next big thing" to keep power. They had Reagan, and then lost power due to Bush 1.. and then they got Newt to rally the faithful to take out Clinton and failed. Newt got kicked to the curb and the next hero was the neo-Con Bush 2. Once that became a bad seed also, then they dropped him as fast as they could and went for the next possible rally point.. the Tea Party. It worked some what after a black guy got elected in the White House, but since that they could not use the Tea Party mantra and ideas to defeat Obama in the 2012 elections, and actually LOST seats in an election they had predicted to gain seats on top of what they got in the protest election of 2010.. So now they are dumping the Tea Party and its members.

    Point is, the GOP has done this before, dumped former popular rallying points/people and then revitalized themselves. It takes time, and does not happen over night. The GOP will most likely loose seats across the board next election but that is the short term.. the leadership is going for 2016, not 2014. By 2016 they can have gotten rid of most Tea Party wackos.. Backmann is already out and Cruz has pretty much committed political suicide as a serious Presidential candidate. Now they only have to get more moderates that independents like into the fray....

    Have you noticed how few GOPers identify themselves as "Tea Party" these days? 3 years ago everyone was a "Tea Party" person.. now, not so much.
    PeteEU

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •