Page 50 of 55 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast
Results 491 to 500 of 550

Thread: Republicans Lose Ground vs. Obama in the Shutdown Blame Game

  1. #491
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: Republicans Lose Ground vs. Obama in the Shutdown Blame Game

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    No he didn't inherit a deficit, he inherited a 10.6 trillion dollar debt. Deficits aren't inherited. The Bush Budget was never passed by Congress and never signed by Bush but that fact escapes you..
    The latest I heard and saw is 1.2 trillion of the deficit was Bush's in BHO's 2009 budget, compared to the overall 1.4 trillion deficit ..
    And please don't try to hijack the brilliant budget given to Bush-43 in 2001 by brother Bubba .
    Physics is Phun

  2. #492
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Republicans Lose Ground vs. Obama in the Shutdown Blame Game

    Thomas Sowell: Who shut down the government?
    Oct. 12, 2013 @ 07:55 PM

    Even when it comes to something as basic, and apparently as simple and straightforward, as the question of who shut down the federal government, there are diametrically opposite answers, depending on whether you talk to Democrats or to Republicans.
    There is really nothing complicated about the facts. The Republican-controlled House of Representatives voted all the money required to keep all government activities going — except for Obamacare.
    This is not a matter of opinion. You can check the Congressional Record.
    As for the House of Representatives’ right to grant or withhold money, that is not a matter of opinion either. You can check the Constitution of the United States. All spending bills must originate in the House of Representatives, which means that congressmen there have a right to decide whether or not they want to spend money on a particular government activity.
    Whether Obamacare is good, bad or indifferent is a matter of opinion. But it is a matter of fact that members of the House of Representatives have a right to make spending decisions based on their opinion.
    Obamacare is indeed “the law of the land,” as its supporters keep saying, and the Supreme Court has upheld its constitutionality.
    But the whole point of having a division of powers within the federal government is that each branch can decide independently what it wants to do or not do, regardless of what the other branches do, when exercising the powers specifically granted to that branch by the Constitution.
    The hundreds of thousands of government workers who have been laid off are not idle because the House of Representatives did not vote enough money to pay their salaries or the other expenses of their agencies — unless they are in an agency that would administer Obamacare.
    Since we cannot read minds, we cannot say who — if anybody — “wants to shut down the government.” But we do know who had the option to keep the government running and chose not to. The money voted by the House of Representatives covered everything that the government does, except for Obamacare.
    The Senate chose not to vote to authorize that money to be spent, because it did not include money for Obamacare. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid says that he wants a “clean” bill from the House of Representatives, and some in the media keep repeating the word “clean” like a mantra. But what is unclean about not giving Harry Reid everything he wants?
    If Sen. Reid and President Obama refuse to accept the money required to run the government, because it leaves out the money they want to run Obamacare, that is their right. But that is also their responsibility.
    You cannot blame other people for not giving you everything you want. And it is a fraud to blame them when you refuse to use the money they did vote, even when it is ample to pay for everything else in the government.
    When Barack Obama keeps claiming that it is some new outrage for those who control the money to try to change government policy by granting or withholding money, that is simply a bald-faced lie. You can check the history of other examples of “legislation by appropriation” as it used to be called.
    Whether legislation by appropriation is a good idea or a bad idea is a matter of opinion. But whether it is both legal and not unprecedented is a matter of fact.
    Perhaps the biggest of the big lies is that the government will not be able to pay what it owes on the national debt, creating a danger of default. Tax money keeps coming into the Treasury during the shutdown, and it vastly exceeds the interest that has to be paid on the national debt.
    Even if the debt ceiling is not lifted, that only means that government is not allowed to run up new debt. But that does not mean that it is unable to pay the interest on existing debt.
    None of this is rocket science. But unless the Republicans get their side of the story out — and articulation has never been their strong suit — the lies will win. More important, the whole country will lose.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  3. #493
    Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    11-30-13 @ 07:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,293

    Re: Republicans Lose Ground vs. Obama in the Shutdown Blame Game

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    You're right. The recession didn't end before bush* took office - it hadn't even begun!!

    bush* inherited a growing economy. Thanks for pointing that out
    LOL. That took a lot of work.

    You got it wrong the first time. Then you went completely opposite of your first mistake and made another mistake.

    Only a leftist could pull such off.
    "“If we don’t deepen our ports all along the Gulf — places like Charleston, South Carolina; or Savannah, Georgia; or Jacksonville, Florida…” -Obama

  4. #494
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,295

    Re: Republicans Lose Ground vs. Obama in the Shutdown Blame Game

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    You're right. The recession didn't end before bush* took office - it hadn't even begun!!

    bush* inherited a growing economy. Thanks for pointing that out
    Amazing, isn't it, the mere fact that Bush won the election, had no economic plan in place, took office on January 21 and we go into recession in March? Where does the DNC get people like you?

  5. #495
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,295

    Re: Republicans Lose Ground vs. Obama in the Shutdown Blame Game

    Quote Originally Posted by Mithros View Post
    CBO Fiscal Outlook 2009-2017
    This is what Obama inhereted. And fiscal years are Oct-Sept, not January- Dec

    How do you do it? Seriously. How the hell can you hold such ridiculously contrasting ideas in your head and still consider yourself to be a thinking person? On one hand you blame Clinton for the first 2 years of the Bush administration, while simultaneously holding Obama responsible for the year BEFORE he even took office. It's staggering. And then you rant on about how I don't understand context. Sign...

    I'm just glad the Tea Party nutters will never be able to use the debt ceiling again as leverage. It seems like the President can now raise the debt ceiling without congress. (sometimes it's good to be able to read)

    But please, continue to make me look 'foolish'.
    (PS. I do not think this word means what you think it means)
    I don't know how many times I have to dispel this bs on the part of liberals even though none of it makes a difference today. CBO makes projections, the Treasury Dept spends the money. Barack Obama with his spending that I outlined and you ignored made the CBO projections more accurate knowing that people like you would buy the rhetoric and blame Bush. I suggest you figure out how Bush created that spending after leaving office.

    I really suggest that you get some help with reading comprehension. I stated the facts, I never blamed Clinton for anything, the recession was due to the Clinton economic policies and budget plan which he did sign and authorize. I blame Obama for the results generated during his term just like I blame Bush for the numbers he had during his term. I am not sure what you are trying to prove but what you are proving is that you are a partisan hack looking for a fight. My discussion was regarding the GOP losing the Congress in 2006 and the economic results from January 2001 to November 2006. The numbers I posted are accurate, you simply aren't smart enough to understand them or even respond to them.

    I know you are glad that the President can spend whatever he wants because from what I see from you, you need big govt. as you will never be able to compete in a free market. This the education you are getting in school?


    Don't worry, I will continue to make you look foolish even though you won't understand it.

  6. #496
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Republicans Lose Ground vs. Obama in the Shutdown Blame Game

    The National Debt double under President Reagan. Has Obama managed to double the National Debt under his watch? If not, is he going to before his term is over?

    vasuderatorrent

  7. #497
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,295

    Re: Republicans Lose Ground vs. Obama in the Shutdown Blame Game

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    The latest I heard and saw is 1.2 trillion of the deficit was Bush's in BHO's 2009 budget, compared to the overall 1.4 trillion deficit ..
    And please don't try to hijack the brilliant budget given to Bush-43 in 2001 by brother Bubba .
    LOL, so it was Bush's deficit in the Obama budget? wow, no wonder they created the term Obamabot., I suggest you take the spending that Obama generated in 2009 which I outlined and subtract that from the deficit then credit the deficit with the TARP money repaid that Obama recycled and see what you come up with. Feel free to seek some help with the addition and subtraction

  8. #498
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,295

    Re: Republicans Lose Ground vs. Obama in the Shutdown Blame Game

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    The National Debt double under President Reagan. Has Obama managed to double the National Debt under his watch? If not, is he going to before his term is over?

    vasuderatorrent
    LOL, you are probably right but Reagan actually tripled the debt taking it from 900 billion to 2.6 trillion or a 1.7 trillion increase. Obama did a lot better taking it from 10.6 trillion to 17 trillion because the percentage change is so much better. That is liberal logic. Doesn't matter that the debt service on 1.7 trillion isn't even close to the debt service on 6.4 trillion. The issue is what Reagan generated and what Obama generated in percentage change, Reagan Bad, Obama good.

  9. #499
    Educator Grendel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-02-13 @ 01:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    704

    Re: Republicans Lose Ground vs. Obama in the Shutdown Blame Game

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    It didn't work out well because many like you ignored the results and focused on the media spin and liberal lies especially about Iraq. Bush lost the Congress in 2006 because of Iraq not because of the economy. I defy you to post the economic results prior to the 2006 elections to make your point?
    So you think that Dubya wasn't responsible for the last two years of his Presidency?
    "All that stuff I was taught about evolution, embryology, Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell [the bible] teaches us how to run all our public policy and everything in society." Rep. Paul Broun (R)

  10. #500
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,295

    Re: Republicans Lose Ground vs. Obama in the Shutdown Blame Game

    Quote Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
    So you think that Dubya wasn't responsible for the last two years of his Presidency?
    That wasn't the discussion or the challenge created. The issue was the Democrats taking control of Congress in 2006. What I posted were the economic results that showed there was no economic justification for that take over by the Democrats. The economic numbers for January 2001 to November 2006 were stellar.

Page 50 of 55 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •