Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 180

Thread: Shutdown outrage: Military death benefits denied to families of fallen troops

  1. #81
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    85,029

    Re: Shutdown outrage: Military death benefits denied to families of fallen troops

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    The death benefits were most likely not a part of the bill signed in that paid normal pay to soldiers.
    I find ot hard to believe that death bennies weren't a part of spending that wasn't effected by the shutdown. If so, we have a SECDEF that's as evil and/or incompetant as the president.
    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    So there is absolutely no evidence this woman, whom you called a slut, did this but you are ready to take someone's word as evidence. Guess you don't think witch hunts have to end when it's going after the certain people.

  2. #82
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rolesville, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,855

    Re: Shutdown outrage: Military death benefits denied to families of fallen troops

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I find ot hard to believe that death bennies weren't a part of spending that wasn't effected by the shutdown. If so, we have a SECDEF that's as evil and/or incompetant as the president.
    Why do you find that hard to believe? It isn't something people think about really. Both sides are being petty. They knew they had to ensure that the military was paid, but there are plenty of things that go beyond just our monthly pay and direct monthly benefits. They didn't think about those other things, only the immediate, basic pay and allowances.

    We have a Congress who is too busy fighting and being petty to notice the extra things.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #83
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,803

    Re: Shutdown outrage: Military death benefits denied to families of fallen troops

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Why do you find that hard to believe? It isn't something people think about really. Both sides are being petty. They knew they had to ensure that the military was paid, but there are plenty of things that go beyond just our monthly pay and direct monthly benefits. They didn't think about those other things, only the immediate, basic pay and allowances.

    We have a Congress who is too busy fighting and being petty to notice the extra things.
    How hard would it have been for the President to write a single sentence executive order to fix this if he cared about the fallen or their families.

  4. #84
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rolesville, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,855

    Re: Shutdown outrage: Military death benefits denied to families of fallen troops

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    How hard would it have been for the President to write a single sentence executive order to fix this if he cared about the fallen or their families.
    And again, how hard would it be for the President to write a single executive order to fund Medicaid or some other government funded program with an executive order? But how legal is that again?
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #85
    Sage
    reinoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    05-21-18 @ 03:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,681
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Shutdown outrage: Military death benefits denied to families of fallen troops

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    How hard would it have been for the President to write a single sentence executive order to fix this if he cared about the fallen or their families.
    Of all the ridiculous nonsense going around, this easily tops them all.

  6. #86
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    02-26-18 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,527

    Re: Shutdown outrage: Military death benefits denied to families of fallen troops

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    And again, how hard would it be for the President to write a single executive order to fund Medicaid or some other government funded program with an executive order?
    Medicaid is non-discretionary spending. Its automatic. As well as Food Stamps, Medicare and Social Security. Funny that death benefits for fallen military members don't fit that category.

  7. #87
    Tavern Bartender
    #NeverOprah
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    78,648

    Re: Shutdown outrage: Military death benefits denied to families of fallen troops

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishstyx View Post
    Medicaid is non-discretionary spending. Its automatic. As well as Food Stamps, Medicare and Social Security. Funny that death benefits for fallen military members don't fit that category.
    All they have to do is change the law, ALL spending except interest on the debt is discretionary. Non-discretionary is a political term used to describe the lack of will by politicians.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS. #MAGA

  8. #88
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    85,029

    Re: Shutdown outrage: Military death benefits denied to families of fallen troops

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    And again, how hard would it be for the President to write a single executive order to fund Medicaid or some other government funded program with an executive order? But how legal is that again?
    Well, since Obama rejected special funding to fix this, we know that it's more about his hatred of the country and our soldiers, than anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    So there is absolutely no evidence this woman, whom you called a slut, did this but you are ready to take someone's word as evidence. Guess you don't think witch hunts have to end when it's going after the certain people.

  9. #89
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    85,029

    Re: Shutdown outrage: Military death benefits denied to families of fallen troops

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishstyx View Post
    Medicaid is non-discretionary spending. Its automatic. As well as Food Stamps, Medicare and Social Security. Funny that death benefits for fallen military members don't fit that category.
    They probably do, but Obama closed military funerals like he closed the national parks.
    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    So there is absolutely no evidence this woman, whom you called a slut, did this but you are ready to take someone's word as evidence. Guess you don't think witch hunts have to end when it's going after the certain people.

  10. #90
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    02-26-18 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,527

    Re: Shutdown outrage: Military death benefits denied to families of fallen troops

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    They probably do, but Obama closed military funerals like he closed the national parks.
    I find it interesting though that food stamps is non-discretionary and death benefits for military members isn't. The behavior of the National Park Service is nauseating. When this is done, I hope Congress puts them through the ringer. We get it, its a shutdown but adding personnel to sites otherwise unmanned to maintain closure is ridiculous. It costs more money to keep these places closed then it does to leave them open. Just stupid, I'd be damned ashamed if I worked for NPS.

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •