Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 180

Thread: Shutdown outrage: Military death benefits denied to families of fallen troops

  1. #21
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,251

    re: Shutdown outrage: Military death benefits denied to families of fallen troops

    Isn't this what happens when you shut down your government? So why are you all surprised by this?
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  2. #22
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    05-09-16 @ 08:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,052

    re: Shutdown outrage: Military death benefits denied to families of fallen troops

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    And this Congress has offered 4 times to fund the Government but if Barry agreed he would'nt be able to do stupid selfish **** like close down the " Amber Alert" website for a day, and close down self funded parks and memorials.

    He hs to demagogue the issue, make it hurt and the problem with his strategy is that only really simpleminded people ( Obama voters) actually blame the shutdown on the GOP.

    Barry is preaching to tthe choir.
    That answered neither of my questions I ask another poster, but thanks for playing. Be sure to pick up your prize on the way out.
    I confess, I did it, I let the dogs out.

  3. #23
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,777

    re: Shutdown outrage: Military death benefits denied to families of fallen troops

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    Yet they can pay capital police to pick up trash after illegal aliens, but Obama doesn't have the money to pay military families?

    Finally Obama has accomplished something. Being a ruthless 3rd world dictator.


    When someone believes Obama is literally a comic book villain, there's no sense talking to them.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #24
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,262

    re: Shutdown outrage: Military death benefits denied to families of fallen troops

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post


    When someone believes Obama is literally a comic book villain, there's no sense talking to them.
    I agree. The comic book villains usually have at least one redeeming feature.

  5. #25
    Be different, be honest
    EdwinWillers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Divided States of Kardashia
    Last Seen
    12-25-15 @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,361

    re: Shutdown outrage: Military death benefits denied to families of fallen troops

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    Yet they can pay capital police to pick up trash after illegal aliens, but Obama doesn't have the money to pay military families?

    Finally Obama has accomplished something. Being a ruthless 3rd world dictator.
    That's precisely what he is - and always has been. Ruthless, vindictive, the very personification of mean-spirited.

    One tidbit of logic [to their pea-sized hearts] as to why they can't pay for the funerals is because they've also disallowed access to the cemeteries. Ergo, if the families can't get to the cemeteries, why pay for the funerals? But then, that's how the "party of compassion" thinks.
    Who chimes "No Absolutes!" chimes absolutely.

    zoom zoom

  6. #26
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    re: Shutdown outrage: Military death benefits denied to families of fallen troops

    Quote Originally Posted by SBu View Post
    What the hell are you talking about? We are talking about funeral pay for men and women killed in the line of duty overseas. The military is funded through the Pay our Military Act of Sep 2013.

    "Over the weekend, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said the Pentagon concluded that most of its 400,000 civilian employees were covered by the bill." - NY Times

    They made this choice.

    Your response is cold hearted, un-American, and really shows your immaturity.

    If there is really no money to give soldiers then why did they fly the bodies back to the states? According to your logic, they're dead so the military responsibility to them has ceased.

    I really didn't foresee the lunatics coming out of the wood work on this one. I'm sad that you call yourself an American.

    Don't bother responding, I don't care what you have to say and you're "ignored."
    Actually, no it isn't really "funeral pay", but rather advanced pay to ensure that funeral services and other things can be afforded by the family. And yes, not having it would be hard and stressful on the family, but I'm willing to bet that the military is making arrangements to ensure that the family is able to get where they need to be and is able to deal with this situation.

    Personally, even as a military member and dependent, I didn't even know that this was normal. I figured that you did just do the best you could and the military helped out wherever you need it. To me, that $100000 sounds like extra.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #27
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,376

    re: Shutdown outrage: Military death benefits denied to families of fallen troops

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    Isn't this what happens when you shut down your government? So why are you all surprised by this?
    No, it's not. The troops pay for that insurance out of their pockets. The system in place in the United States military is called Soldiers Group Life Insurance.

    You can bet your boots that the partial government shutdown didn't stop the payroll deduction to pay for SGLI.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #28
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    re: Shutdown outrage: Military death benefits denied to families of fallen troops

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    No, it's not. The troops pay for that insurance out of their pockets. The system in place in the United States military is called Soldiers Group Life Insurance.

    You can bet your boots that the partial government shutdown didn't stop the payroll deduction to pay for SGLI.
    This isn't actually the insurance money. That takes much longer than 3 days to get paid. This is actually more likely the 6 months of housing and regular pay, plus extras that we sign to go to someone.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #29
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,376

    re: Shutdown outrage: Military death benefits denied to families of fallen troops

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    This isn't actually the insurance money. That takes much longer than 3 days to get paid. This is actually more likely the 6 months of housing and regular pay, plus extras that we sign to go to someone.
    I've seen partial SGLI payments take place within 48 hours; 72 hours, tops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #30
    Professor
    SBu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    01-18-16 @ 03:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,523

    re: Shutdown outrage: Military death benefits denied to families of fallen troops

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Actually, no it isn't really "funeral pay", but rather advanced pay to ensure that funeral services and other things can be afforded by the family. And yes, not having it would be hard and stressful on the family, but I'm willing to bet that the military is making arrangements to ensure that the family is able to get where they need to be and is able to deal with this situation.

    Personally, even as a military member and dependent, I didn't even know that this was normal. I figured that you did just do the best you could and the military helped out wherever you need it. To me, that $100000 sounds like extra.
    They're not. A private organization out of Maryland has stepped in to fly the families out to claim their bodies at least. The money in question is what you say it is. This government should not intentionally make anything more stressful than it has to be for these families.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •