Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 180

Thread: Shutdown outrage: Military death benefits denied to families of fallen troops

  1. #111
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,048

    Re: Shutdown outrage: Military death benefits denied to families of fallen troops

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You mean the president and the SECDEF didn't know?!?
    Why would they know? Those are things handled by military internal funding. They don't really know where every bit of money the military asks for goes to. In fact, they probably don't know where the vast majority goes to, only vague ideas based on reports that say things like "personnel costs, maintenance/upkeep costs, research, supplies, new equipment, misc." and things like this.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #112
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,915

    Re: Shutdown outrage: Military death benefits denied to families of fallen troops

    I'd just like to go on record and say that while I'm no fan of Obama, the idea that he "hates" the country or veterans is about as pants-on-head stupid as it gets.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  3. #113
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Shutdown outrage: Military death benefits denied to families of fallen troops

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    They failed to realize that soldiers being killed meant additional money being paid out to them. Like most Americans, even many who have heavy military connections, the average Congressman probably didn't even realize that these servicemembers' families got paid an extra $100K beyond their $400K SGLIs. Even you did not realize the difference til I pointed it out earlier in the thread. In post #27, you claimed this was the SGLI rather than the actual death benefit.
    The Commander in Chief and the Secretary of Defense are that stupid??? How did they ever get into positions of power??

  4. #114
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Shutdown outrage: Military death benefits denied to families of fallen troops

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Why would they know? Those are things handled by military internal funding. They don't really know where every bit of money the military asks for goes to. In fact, they probably don't know where the vast majority goes to, only vague ideas based on reports that say things like "personnel costs, maintenance/upkeep costs, research, supplies, new equipment, misc." and things like this.
    Who do you think might be expected to be aware of this funding if not the Commander in Chief and the Secretary of Defense? It might be time to 'name names'.

    Do you think someone knowledgeable, whoever that might be, might have taken the time to remind Obama and Hagel that obligations are in place when members of the military are killed in action?

  5. #115
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Shutdown outrage: Military death benefits denied to families of fallen troops

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    I'd just like to go on record and say that while I'm no fan of Obama, the idea that he "hates" the country or veterans is about as pants-on-head stupid as it gets.
    You have evidence to support your argument?

    Maybe 'hates' is too strong a word.

    'Indifferent' might be more appropriate.

  6. #116
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Shutdown outrage: Military death benefits denied to families of fallen troops

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Why would they know?
    Well, I would imagine they would have found out at the very least when it became enough of an issue that the House passed a bill specifically directing its' funding. And the Senate stalled, and the White House denied that it had to or should sign it, and then both eventually buckled to public pressure, shame, or some mixture of the two.

    Those are things handled by military internal funding. They don't really know where every bit of money the military asks for goes to. In fact, they probably don't know where the vast majority goes to, only vague ideas based on reports that say things like "personnel costs, maintenance/upkeep costs, research, supplies, new equipment, misc." and things like this.
    Also true. But politics extends well into the DoD. That is why, after, all, SECDEF is a political appointee, to ensure that it does.

  7. #117
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Shutdown outrage: Military death benefits denied to families of fallen troops

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    I'd just like to go on record and say that while I'm no fan of Obama, the idea that he "hates" the country or veterans is about as pants-on-head stupid as it gets.
    It is a hyperventilating exaggeration of a nugget of truth. He is, I think, uncomfortable with and around "veterans" as a group, and has distaste for the notion of the United States as "the indispensable nation" / Hegemon. Neither of those things is hatred for the subject matter itself, but can be confused for dislike or distrust, and then exaggerated for partisan effect into "hatred".

  8. #118
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,048

    Re: Shutdown outrage: Military death benefits denied to families of fallen troops

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    The Commander in Chief and the Secretary of Defense are that stupid??? How did they ever get into positions of power??
    No, it simply isn't their job to know exactly where every bit of money goes for the military nor what every single compensation is that military members get. They have the upper leadership of the military that is right below them to do that stuff. Most people in the military don't realize how the funeral pay works, so why should the President? Honestly, people are expecting way too much here. The Defense Committee of Congress should in fact be more informed about what pay and benefits, including funeral benefits, the military personnel get than the President should be.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #119
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,048

    Re: Shutdown outrage: Military death benefits denied to families of fallen troops

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Well, I would imagine they would have found out at the very least when it became enough of an issue that the House passed a bill specifically directing its' funding. And the Senate stalled, and the White House denied that it had to or should sign it, and then both eventually buckled to public pressure, shame, or some mixture of the two.

    Also true. But politics extends well into the DoD. That is why, after, all, SECDEF is a political appointee, to ensure that it does.
    Which would still be after the fact.

    And no matter what people think, we should not be funding this government one bill at a time. Unfortunately that leaves one part of our government with all the power, the House of Representatives. Because this would mean that they could simply only choose to send forward bills for those things they want to fund and then use the media and public pressure to get them signed by the other two needed but not send anything else through. So everything they want gets funded because the people are too stupid to realize they are being tricked. The GOP is using the troops to get what they want.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #120
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,445

    Re: Shutdown outrage: Military death benefits denied to families of fallen troops

    I don't quite get all the partisanship. It was a mistake and was quickly addressed.

    What I REALLY don't get are the people claiming that such a cut is reasonable... wow. How much does someone need to hate the military to sink to such a level.

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •