Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 178

Thread: Why Are American Women Living 5 Years Less than Their Mothers?

  1. #121
    Educator
    USViking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Greensboro NC USA
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,111

    Re: Why Are American Women Living 5 Years Less than Their Mothers?

    The suggestion that workforce employment is unhealthy for women is ridiculous, it is buffoonish, and it is the stuff of moonbeams.

    We do need to get the data straight, though:

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    ...Women have always been employed. Your opinion is based on the RARE 1950's housewife standard which came around after the end of WWII. It was a short-lived period in our history. That wasn't the norm 100 years ago, and it's not the norm today...
    This is incorrect. See link, scroll down for graphs:

    PBS: Working Women

    1900 percentages of women working outside the home:

    6% Married
    33% Widowed, Divorced or Separated
    44% Single

    HOWEVER the percentages of working married women has steadily increased since 1900, which POSITIVELY CORRELATES with the SIMULTANEOUS INCREASE IN LIFE EXPECTANCY.

    THEREFORE there is no case for claiming that workforce employment reduces married female life expectancy.

    On the other hand the pre-WW2 workforce employment rates were steady for single women and for widowed, divorced or separated women, so the soundest conclusion might be that workforce employment makes no significant difference in female life expectancies.

  2. #122
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,626

    Re: Why Are American Women Living 5 Years Less than Their Mothers?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I posted the evidence at 8:09 AM. You posted your reply to it just three minutes later. You did not even read the damn stuff. So why the hell did you ask for it in the first place? Your disingenuous approach to this exchange is rather disgusting.

    The evidence was provided for you. Its all right there for you. Just go back and read it.
    I opened the first one and saw quickly that it was not actually making the point you have been trying to make since 9:05 yesterday. I then quickly opened the other links to determine that they were all making the same point which was in no way a proof of your initial assertion.

    But by all means show me where the links you provided show that women work more than men in total combine work/chores (BLS disproved that) and that their life span is decreasing because of it (you have yet to even try and prove this bit of your argument).

  3. #123
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,633

    Re: Why Are American Women Living 5 Years Less than Their Mothers?

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    I opened the first one and saw quickly that it was not actually making the point you have been trying to make since 9:05 yesterday. I then quickly opened the other links to determine that they were all making the same point which was in no way a proof of your initial assertion.

    But by all means show me where the links you provided show that women work more than men in total combine work/chores (BLS disproved that) and that their life span is decreasing because of it (you have yet to even try and prove this bit of your argument).
    What BS... and worse - it has no garden value as simple manure. You took three minutes to look at all those sources and then found there was no proof there.

    What nonsense!!!!!

    btw - where did I say that women work more than men in total combined hours? Can you quote that for me before we decide to move the goal posts to that arena?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #124
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,626

    Re: Why Are American Women Living 5 Years Less than Their Mothers?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    What BS... and worse - it has no garden value as simple manure. You took three minutes to look at all those sources and then found there was no proof there.

    What nonsense!!!!!

    btw - where did I say that women work more than men in total combined hours? Can you quote that for me before we decide to move the goal posts to that arena?
    Ok, then show me in your links where it shows that women work more than men and die earlier than years past because of it.

    If you want to shame me show me what I missed. I assume that you haven't done that yet because you know as well as I do what your evidence shows. As I said in my response, your links show that the number of women in the workforce is increasing, a statistic that NOBODY DENIED.

  5. #125
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,633

    Re: Why Are American Women Living 5 Years Less than Their Mothers?

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Ok, then show me in your links where it shows that women work more than men and die earlier than years past because of it.

    If you want to shame me show me what I missed. I assume that you haven't done that yet because you know as well as I do what your evidence shows. As I said in my response, your links show that the number of women in the workforce is increasing, a statistic that NOBODY DENIED.
    I gave you a wealth of data and you have not yet used it. Start with that before you beg for more only to ignore that down the road.

    It was explained to you previously but perhaps you also employed your amazing speed reading skills on that also and so missed its import................... here it is again .............

    this is a rather recent sociological phenomena that has only now evidenced itself in the form of actual life and death statistics. It will take a good deal of research to be able to provide the hard and fast proof that you asked for. The facts are rather obvious and do not take a rocket scienstist to figure out:

    *** roles for American women have changed significantly over the last thirty to forty years causing more to be employed outside of the home and fewer stay at home moms or housewives.
    *** at the same time, women are living shorter years on the planet so that their life expectancy is now closer to that of men who also are mostly in the workforce.

    But tell you what I will do for you...... when the definitive study comes out sometimes in the next decade, I will be glad to post it here.................. and fully expect you will ignore that also.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #126
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Why Are American Women Living 5 Years Less than Their Mothers?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Way to ignore facts. When modern conveniences like washing machines, dryers, dish washers etc came out, women had a lot of time on their hands and spent much of that time watching soaps. The proof is that soaps existed and the only ones home at that time of day was women. Now if you want to go back to when women washed clothes and dishes for six kids and did it by hand you would have a point but modern women had it made in the shade.
    Actually, many studies have shown that despite modern conveniences, we spend more time on household chores than before. The expectations of what was clean or sanitation went way up, causing more work.

    Division of Labor - Historical Trends - Gender, Family, Women, and Time - JRank Articles

    There has been a shift in the types of housework women are expected to do these days. It is still just as much work. Just because there were shows made to entice women to watch, didn't mean that all women watched them or that women did less work. Simply that the work had changed. You can easily watch soap operas while folding the laundry that is now expected to be done every day vice every week or so (people changed less). You can have soap operas (or other TV) playing in the background as you do other cleaning chores in the area. Plus, not every woman has to watch soaps or all the soaps. Most had their favorites, which took no more than an hour or two to watch during the day. They then did their housework or running errands. Then they were expected to take care of the children, much more her responsibility than the father's and cook dinner and whatever else needed to be done around the house, no matter the hour.

    Plus, there was a higher expectation of women in the past to be most importantly a good wife and mother, no matter her own feelings on it. Men worked their jobs, with pretty much a set schedule. Women worked throughout the day, every day. And many still do. In general, housewives don't normally get a day off, such as on the weekends, since they are still expected to at least cook the meals and take care of the children those days too.

    Things are changing and there definitely are more men who are taking on more responsibility, but I showed how women still do more than men, even when they work outside the homes, on average.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #127
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Why Are American Women Living 5 Years Less than Their Mothers?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Actually, many studies have shown that despite modern conveniences, we spend more time on household chores than before. The expectations of what was clean or sanitation went way up, causing more work.

    Division of Labor - Historical Trends - Gender, Family, Women, and Time - JRank Articles

    There has been a shift in the types of housework women are expected to do these days. It is still just as much work. Just because there were shows made to entice women to watch, didn't mean that all women watched them or that women did less work. Simply that the work had changed. You can easily watch soap operas while folding the laundry that is now expected to be done every day vice every week or so (people changed less). You can have soap operas (or other TV) playing in the background as you do other cleaning chores in the area. Plus, not every woman has to watch soaps or all the soaps. Most had their favorites, which took no more than an hour or two to watch during the day. They then did their housework or running errands. Then they were expected to take care of the children, much more her responsibility than the father's and cook dinner and whatever else needed to be done around the house, no matter the hour.

    Plus, there was a higher expectation of women in the past to be most importantly a good wife and mother, no matter her own feelings on it. Men worked their jobs, with pretty much a set schedule. Women worked throughout the day, every day. And many still do. In general, housewives don't normally get a day off, such as on the weekends, since they are still expected to at least cook the meals and take care of the children those days too.

    Things are changing and there definitely are more men who are taking on more responsibility, but I showed how women still do more than men, even when they work outside the homes, on average.
    No study will ever convince me an old farm woman with six kids that did everything by hand didn't have it ten times harder than a modern day housewife. Can you imagine hand washing all those clothes, wringing them out and hanging them all up? We are off grid and I tried to get my wife to wash that way, even bought her a cool old wringer and a washboard. No, I didn't stick them up my ass as requested!

  8. #128
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Why Are American Women Living 5 Years Less than Their Mothers?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    No study will ever convince me an old farm woman with six kids that did everything by hand didn't have it ten times harder than a modern day housewife. Can you imagine hand washing all those clothes, wringing them out and hanging them all up? We are off grid and I tried to get my wife to wash that way, even bought her a cool old wringer and a washboard. No, I didn't stick them up my ass as requested!
    Except many of those women who worked on the farm also had help, especially if they owned the farm and were well to do. They didn't all work all those chores. Plus, they didn't change their clothes nearly as often, they didn't have indoor plumbing (no toilets or tubs to clean at least once or twice a week, more often for many), no real regard to disinfecting anything, very little of the same cleaning we see nowdays.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #129
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Why Are American Women Living 5 Years Less than Their Mothers?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Except many of those women who worked on the farm also had help, especially if they owned the farm and were well to do. They didn't all work all those chores. Plus, they didn't change their clothes nearly as often, they didn't have indoor plumbing (no toilets or tubs to clean at least once or twice a week, more often for many), no real regard to disinfecting anything, very little of the same cleaning we see nowdays.
    Yes that explains the calluses on my great grand mothers hands may she RIP.

  10. #130
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Why Are American Women Living 5 Years Less than Their Mothers?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Yes that explains the calluses on my great grand mothers hands may she RIP.
    My great grandmother did plenty of work too. It doesn't mean that she did a hell of a lot more than every single woman that lives in the US today. And their tasks were different as well.

    It is called a "change in expectations". Just because modern conveniences cause less calluses and allow for less active methods of doing tasks, doesn't mean that women now spend a whole helluva lot less time doing the chores.

    But women aren't the only ones who have less calluses today in their jobs compared to the past. Men too also have "modern conveniences" to help them do their jobs with less pain and/or injury than the past. Modern conveniences can make life more efficient.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •