Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 240

Thread: Israel attacks Council of Europe move to restrict male circumcision

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Israel attacks Council of Europe move to restrict male circumcision

    Israel attacks Council of Europe move to restrict male circumcision | Reuters

    (Reuters) - Israel on Friday accused a leading European human rights body of fostering hatred and racism in calling for the circumcision of boys on religious grounds to be monitored more closely.
    "Any comparison of (male circumcision) to the reprehensible and barbaric practice of female genital mutilation is either appalling ignorance, at best, or defamation and anti-religious hatred, at worst," the Israeli Foreign Ministry said.

    It said circumcision of male children was "an ancient religious tradition" in Judaism and Islam and among some Christian groups, and was medically beneficial.
    The resolution cast "a moral stain on the Council of Europe, and fosters hate and racist trends in Europe."
    Well first off, the council of Europe doesn't make laws. this is just a resolution. It's a recommendation basically.
    I personally agree, I think the whole male circumcision thing is barbaric at best. A savage practice that we can dispense from now, in this day and age.

    I'm not against having men circumcised if they want to when they're past 18 years old and legally adults but not before they can speak and understand what is happening to them.

    The funny thing is israels' reaction the suggestion. I mean talk about overreaction. This law won't affect israel. And I know what you're thinking, it will affect jews in Europe. But jews in europe that are not israelis are not Israels' duty to represent. They have their own representatives.
    And the religious argument doesn't matter here. It doesn't matter if your religion says this is important or not, religion does not play a hand in matters of governance. You obey the laws of the land first and you observe your religious practices in religious locations.
    If you make a religion that demands that you kill someone every solstice, you will go to prison for murder. Now I'm not comparing circumcision with murder, I'm just pointing out that the law of the land is what counts and religious rituals that are against the law are religious rituals that must be abandoned. But this isn't the case yet with circumcision, as I said, this is just a resolution, not a law. The council can't make laws.

  2. #2
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Israel attacks Council of Europe move to restrict male circumcision

    I had braces when I was a kid and they hurt a hell of a lot more than something I don't remember as a baby. Guess that barbaric practice out to be outlawed as well.

  3. #3
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,553

    Re: Israel attacks Council of Europe move to restrict male circumcision

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I had braces when I was a kid and they hurt a hell of a lot more than something I don't remember as a baby. Guess that barbaric practice out to be outlawed as well.
    I'm circumsized like most Americans and it doesn't bother me one bit, but let's try to look at this from an objective point of view. Should we let a religion cut off pieces of a baby for no other reason but to appease their god?

    What if I invented a religion, Alpacaism, where you have to tattoo an alpaca on newborns' backs, or cut off the excess skin hanging on their ears? Should that be allowed?

    Point is, permanent mutilation should always be the choice of the person being mutilated. If somebody wants to do stuff like that when they turn 18, that's their business. Forcing it on someone who can't defend themselves is rather barbaric and has no place in a free society.
    Last edited by RabidAlpaca; 10-05-13 at 05:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  4. #4
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,217

    Re: Israel attacks Council of Europe move to restrict male circumcision

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    Israel attacks Council of Europe move to restrict male circumcision | Reuters

    Well first off, the council of Europe doesn't make laws. this is just a resolution. It's a recommendation basically.
    I personally agree, I think the whole male circumcision thing is barbaric at best. A savage practice that we can dispense from now, in this day and age.

    I'm not against having men circumcised if they want to when they're past 18 years old and legally adults but not before they can speak and understand what is happening to them.

    The funny thing is israels' reaction the suggestion. I mean talk about overreaction. This law won't affect israel. And I know what you're thinking, it will affect jews in Europe. But jews in europe that are not israelis are not Israels' duty to represent. They have their own representatives.
    And the religious argument doesn't matter here. It doesn't matter if your religion says this is important or not, religion does not play a hand in matters of governance. You obey the laws of the land first and you observe your religious practices in religious locations.
    If you make a religion that demands that you kill someone every solstice, you will go to prison for murder. Now I'm not comparing circumcision with murder, I'm just pointing out that the law of the land is what counts and religious rituals that are against the law are religious rituals that must be abandoned. But this isn't the case yet with circumcision, as I said, this is just a resolution, not a law. The council can't make laws.
    There was quite a discussion in a number of European countries about that issue and a large if not an overwhelming majority think as you do. And yes, the discussion did indeed feed on and incite racial hate against Jews and Muslims.
    To me it seemed odd to worry about snipping a piece of skin of of a body that only 30 weeks earlier any uneducated girl could have had vacuumed away at will.

  5. #5
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,217

    Re: Israel attacks Council of Europe move to restrict male circumcision

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    I'm circumsized like most Americans and it doesn't bother me one bit, but let's try to look at this from an objective point of view. Should we let a religion cut off pieces of a baby for no other reason but to appease their god?

    What if I invented a religion, Alpacaism, where you have to tattoo an alpaca on newborns' backs, or cut off the excess skin hanging on their ears? Should that be allowed?

    Point is, permanent mutilation should always be the choice of the person being mutilated. If somebody wants to do stuff like that when they turn 18, that's their business. Forcing it on someone who can't defend themselves is rather barbaric and has no place in a free society.
    I looked at a lot of the literature and studies on this matter. There does not seem to be much of a difference medically, though the net effect is the expectancy of a slightly healthier and longer life. Almost every cost benefit analysis shows a positive return.

  6. #6
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,217

    Re: Israel attacks Council of Europe move to restrict male circumcision

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I had braces when I was a kid and they hurt a hell of a lot more than something I don't remember as a baby. Guess that barbaric practice out to be outlawed as well.
    I bet you were humiliatingly ugly to. Damaged for life! Of course you look better now for the effort and pain.

  7. #7
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,553

    Re: Israel attacks Council of Europe move to restrict male circumcision

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    I looked at a lot of the literature and studies on this matter. There does not seem to be much of a difference medically, though the net effect is the expectancy of a slightly healthier and longer life. Almost every cost benefit analysis shows a positive return.
    Correlation does not imply causation. Missing a part of your dick does not in and of itself make you live longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  8. #8
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38,011

    Re: Israel attacks Council of Europe move to restrict male circumcision

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    Israel attacks Council of Europe move to restrict male circumcision | Reuters





    Well first off, the council of Europe doesn't make laws. this is just a resolution. It's a recommendation basically.
    I personally agree, I think the whole male circumcision thing is barbaric at best. A savage practice that we can dispense from now, in this day and age.

    I'm not against having men circumcised if they want to when they're past 18 years old and legally adults but not before they can speak and understand what is happening to them.

    The funny thing is israels' reaction the suggestion. I mean talk about overreaction. This law won't affect israel. And I know what you're thinking, it will affect jews in Europe. But jews in europe that are not israelis are not Israels' duty to represent. They have their own representatives.
    And the religious argument doesn't matter here. It doesn't matter if your religion says this is important or not, religion does not play a hand in matters of governance. You obey the laws of the land first and you observe your religious practices in religious locations.
    If you make a religion that demands that you kill someone every solstice, you will go to prison for murder. Now I'm not comparing circumcision with murder, I'm just pointing out that the law of the land is what counts and religious rituals that are against the law are religious rituals that must be abandoned. But this isn't the case yet with circumcision, as I said, this is just a resolution, not a law. The council can't make laws.
    l may agree

    but l dont think they will be brave enough to want to get circumcision when they are over 18

    jellies

    come on admit it looks more aesthetical
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

  9. #9
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,553

    Re: Israel attacks Council of Europe move to restrict male circumcision

    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    l may agree

    but l dont think they will be brave enough to want to get circumcision when they are over 18

    jellies

    come on admit it looks more aesthetical
    It does, and the euro ladies love it. I'm like a sexy unicorn to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  10. #10
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38,011

    Re: Israel attacks Council of Europe move to restrict male circumcision

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    It does, and the euro ladies love it. I'm like a sexy unicorn to them.
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •