Page 26 of 41 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 401

Thread: Enrollment In Obamacare's Federal Exchange, So Far, May Only Be In 'Single Digits'

  1. #251
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:15 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,875

    Re: Enrollment In Obamacare's Federal Exchange, So Far, May Only Be In 'Single Digits

    Quote Originally Posted by vvx View Post
    I don't doubt it, but the reason a hospital provides $143 million of free care isn't really charity. They get people in that they have to treat that have no way to pay. The hospital could try collecting the debts, and they do sometimes. But when you have patients that realistically could never pay their bill it may make more sense for the hospital to forget about collecting it and write it off. It looks better for the hospital to give away care than to try to garnish wages from minimum wage workers or extract money from the unemployed, after all. Ultimately the costs of treatment get paid by charging higher prices to others.
    Yeah, its a Catholic non-profit hospital, so its a charity.

  2. #252
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:15 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,875

    Re: Enrollment In Obamacare's Federal Exchange, So Far, May Only Be In 'Single Digits

    Quote Originally Posted by reinoe View Post
    Do you have any idea how health insurance enrollment works for most people? This is a question of actual curiosity.

    Before you answer you should know I sell health insurance. These numbers are neither surprising nor alarming.
    Yes, you shop around, compare options, and stew on it till the last minute. Maryland is the only exchange to actually offer statistics on sign ups.

    The real question is how many young, healthy people, did they get to sign up. They need 4 out of every 10 signups to be young a healthy, or it collapses under its own weight.
    Last edited by Samhain; 10-08-13 at 09:38 AM.

  3. #253
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,250

    Re: Enrollment In Obamacare's Federal Exchange, So Far, May Only Be In 'Single Digits

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Wait....let me get this....you claim FEDERAL tax dollars do not go to Texas to pay for uninsured care, I post documentation that TX does get FEDERAL tax dollars to pay for the uninsured.....and your defense is....that I don't understand where FEDERAL tax dollars come from?

    Good grief Con, you have been dancing all day long and your reasoning has become completely delusionary from exhaustion. Give it a rest.
    Medicaid is an insurance program for low income individuals. it is a 50-50 state/federal program administered by the states. You don't seem to understand the concept of insurance vs. no insurance.
    Last edited by Conservative; 10-08-13 at 09:44 AM.

  4. #254
    Student
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    10-09-17 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    290

    Re: Enrollment In Obamacare's Federal Exchange, So Far, May Only Be In 'Single Digits

    Quote Originally Posted by trfjr View Post
    Enrollment In Obamacare's Federal Exchange, So Far, May Only Be In 'Single Digits' - Forbes

    Obama care is going to need enrollment in the tens of millions by Dec 15 or it will be a bust. more then half of those tens of millions will need to be young and healthy to keep the premiums where they are at, or the price will have to be raised even higher then they already are
    Time will tell whether the ACA will be a success or not.
    It was interesting that the servers where overwhelmed and that the design team did not have a guess
    at the level of anticipated demand and have a more robust system in place.
    That's like 1-800-Flowers being surprised at the level of demand around Valentine's Day.

  5. #255
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,077

    Re: Enrollment In Obamacare's Federal Exchange, So Far, May Only Be In 'Single Digits

    You know that one guy who successfully signed up for ObamaCare? He didn’t

    The 21-year-old student from Georgia was cited in multiple articles as being one of the few, the proud, the successful to signed up for insurance through a federal exchange.

    On his Facebook page, Chad Henderson bragged about being interviewed by "The Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, Chattanooga Times Free Press, The Huffington Post, Enroll America, and Politico," along with several local TV affiliates.

    His story supposedly was proof that for all their glitches and problems - and the ambivalence of young people - the new health insurance exchanges were working after all.

    Except it seems like it was all a lie. ....


  6. #256
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:15 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,875

    Re: Enrollment In Obamacare's Federal Exchange, So Far, May Only Be In 'Single Digits

    I loved it when his dad came to his defense via a classic Bill Clinton: "Enrolled doesn't mean he bought". BTW, both of their twitter feeds are shut down, and Chad is a volunteer for OFA. No wonder he was the poster child.

  7. #257
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: Enrollment In Obamacare's Federal Exchange, So Far, May Only Be In 'Single Digits

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    There are people with mental health issues, there are people who require therapy, there are people who require medication they cannot afford. There are people who need regular checkups with a doctor because they have a much higher risk of becoming diabetic because of lifestyle choices. You think that getting a physical once in a while means preventative care? How about the people who have bronchitis and don't treat it because they can't afford to go to a doctor and pay for the medication?

    How about people who are alcoholics and can't afford to go to treatment? How about people who have chronic pain because of their jobs? Is a physical going to help any of those people? All I'd like you to do is think. That's all I'm asking.
    Yes, all you say is true which you stated previously '...The end result will be a better system, one in which people start getting preventative care. It's going to make our country better...'. Note that you said 'start getting' meaning that presumably they haven't been diagnosed with the various conditions you list YET. Others you list are conditions that are already know and 'preventive care' will not address. But you failed to address the question I asked; My confusion is how someone cannot afford to set aside $8-$20/month to cover the annual expense and yet will be able to afford $?(presumably much more) per month in premiums? Wanna try again?

    As to 'chronic pain because of their jobs' the vast majority of the States have mandated workers compensation insurance for employers for this issue...WAY prior to PPACA.
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  8. #258
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,250

    Re: Enrollment In Obamacare's Federal Exchange, So Far, May Only Be In 'Single Digits

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Wait....let me get this....you claim FEDERAL tax dollars do not go to Texas to pay for uninsured care, I post documentation that TX does get FEDERAL tax dollars to pay for the uninsured.....and your defense is....that I don't understand where FEDERAL tax dollars come from?

    Good grief Con, you have been dancing all day long and your reasoning has become completely delusionary from exhaustion. Give it a rest.
    Notice anything interesting in this chart? TX is the big state located on the southern border of the country

    Is Your State A Net Giver or Taker of Federal Taxes? | The Big Picture

  9. #259
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,741

    Re: Enrollment In Obamacare's Federal Exchange, So Far, May Only Be In 'Single Digits

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Notice anything interesting in this chart? TX is the big state located on the southern border of the country

    Is Your State A Net Giver or Taker of Federal Taxes? | The Big Picture
    Minnesota says you're welcome.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  10. #260
    Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    11-30-13 @ 07:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,293

    Re: Enrollment In Obamacare's Federal Exchange, So Far, May Only Be In 'Single Digits

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    Side story: at my old place of work, there was a girl waiting to get onto their health care plan, and she couldn't go to a doctor for her bronchitis until her plan kicked it. She coughed up blood for 2 weeks.

    I was a not-so-lazy 27 year old who had health care and didn't use it. I was extremely healthy. Hell, I ran 10 miles a day and walked everywhere I went. It turned out that for years I had a cyst I didn't know about. It ruptured and caused permanent nerve damage (it's a longer story but I gave you the nutshell). If I hadn't had health insurance, I would owe a hundred thousand dollars in medical bills. I would be paying it off the rest of my life. It would impact every part of my life and I would be a less productive member of society. I'd probably have to declare bankruptcy, ruin my credit, and enjoy my future of desperately trying to buy a house that I couldn't get a loan for. Or I could work two jobs to pay off my bills, thus never having the time to find a good job where I could make a lot of money and be one of those people who rants about the liberals spending their hard earned dollars. What would likely happen is that I'd either be unable to pay the money back or I'd need government assistance to survive. Who pays for that?

    I guess it's all about experiences. Maybe your experiences are that it's good for people to go bankrupt because of medical problems. I don't know what planet that happens on, but let me know the name of it and I'll visit sometime.
    Is it good for people to go bankrupt because the lost their job or had their hours cut back because the government wants productive people to pay health insurance for those to stupid, to lazy or choose a lifestyle that won't allow for success (present victims of the Obama presidency excluded)? Unfortunately, right now such a place exists on planet earth and it's called America. The good news is, one way or another it won't last forever. The bad news is, if legislation won't fix the situation economic reality will. Then everybody really gets to fend for themselves.
    "“If we don’t deepen our ports all along the Gulf — places like Charleston, South Carolina; or Savannah, Georgia; or Jacksonville, Florida…” -Obama

Page 26 of 41 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •