Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 304

Thread: Pa. gov: Gay marriage is like marriage of siblings

  1. #211
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Pa. gov: Gay marriage is like marriage of siblings

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    If I've learned one thing from this thread...

    It's that it's nearly impossible to argue with someone so delusional that they believe discriminating against people who hurt nobody = freedom.

    And that equal rights = fascism.
    I don't know about that considering you're judging me while me intent is clearly political but without question Libertarian/republican punning the progressive base....

    Whatever you want man.... I was just trying to elaborate progressive infiltration into an otherwise solid conservative community Just to see your response...

    IF it matters I'm a blunt hard nosed libertarian just looking for reaction from fellow conservatives and libertarians...

    If you agree with me and my posts follow me if not - shoot me dead...

    I'm not that hard to find "Mr.Nick.."

    Good luck and don't cyber blast me with 12gague while I walk away. hahah

  2. #212
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Pa. gov: Gay marriage is like marriage of siblings

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    At least the sentiment was consistent, even if it is just plain wrong.
    I don't understand.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  3. #213
    Guru
    Cyrylek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: Pa. gov: Gay marriage is like marriage of siblings

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Pa. gov: Gay marriage is like marriage of siblings

    Typical "conservative/republican" ignorance.

    What a douche nozzle.

    So he's saying homosexual = incest


    A true moron in so many ways.
    While Corbett seems to have a tin year when it comes to public sensibilities, I don't think this is fair.

    A suggestion was made that recognizing homosexual marriages means opening a Pandora's box of immoral activities being sanctioned. Well, no - Governor says - the gay marriage does not bear any resemblance to the situation when the marriage contract is being imposed on someone incapable of entering a legally binding contract - for a reason of being a child...or, for example, a goat.

    The situation of adult siblings wishing to marry is, indeed, rather similar to the gay situation - at least on the level of the objections being offered.

    There's a strong societal taboo against incest, and a darn good biological reason for it: Children are very likely to pay with their health for such union. But, in the age of contraception and especially after we admit that "marriage" is not primarily about child-rearing, what exactly is the objection, rationally speaking? Our instinctive disgust? And? 30% of the population may be "disgusted" by the idea of homosexual marriage; 85% - by the idea of sister and brother marrying (in this society; didn't bother Ancient Egyptians or not-so-ancient-Hawaiians in the least).

    There's no popular demand to make sibling marriages legal, and none is expected in the foreseeable future. Also, my own position (decidedly FOR gay marriages, if "civil unions for all" is not an option) is not likely to be influenced by this kind of rambling discourse. But let's try to stick to some elementary fairness here: What the guy said was actually quite correct. It just was. Regardless of who he is, or what his hidden agenda may be.

    Your outrage is entirely a predictable result of your partisan expectations.

  4. #214
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Pa. gov: Gay marriage is like marriage of siblings

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    Listen closely, I didn't link it to incest. The link was to brothers and sisters marrying. This is an example of two consenting adults, no different from any other two consenting adults, unless you want to exclude them. If you do you will have to justify your discrimination.
    The difference, from a limitation standpoint, is siblings could instead just find someone else to marry, i would think. Likewise with polygamy, that they can *still* marry someone they love. Homosexuals are pretty much only interested in marrying the same sex. I'm not saying that alone should preclude incestuous marriage, but it's not identical either.

  5. #215
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Pa. gov: Gay marriage is like marriage of siblings

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrylek View Post
    *snip for brevity*
    Additionally, Corbett didn't actually say "gay = incest", if you read the whole article.

    Which makes me think that the person you quoted didn't read the whole thing.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  6. #216
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Pa. gov: Gay marriage is like marriage of siblings

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrylek View Post
    While Corbett seems to have a tin year when it comes to public sensibilities, I don't think this is fair.

    A suggestion was made that recognizing homosexual marriages means opening a Pandora's box of immoral activities being sanctioned. Well, no - Governor says - the gay marriage does not bear any resemblance to the situation when the marriage contract is being imposed on someone incapable of entering a legally binding contract - for a reason of being a child...or, for example, a goat.

    The situation of adult siblings wishing to marry is, indeed, rather similar to the gay situation - at least on the level of the objections being offered.

    There's a strong societal taboo against incest, and a darn good biological reason for it: Children are very likely to pay with their health for such union. But, in the age of contraception and especially after we admit that "marriage" is not primarily about child-rearing, what exactly is the objection, rationally speaking? Our instinctive disgust? And? 30% of the population may be "disgusted" by the idea of homosexual marriage; 85% - by the idea of sister and brother marrying (in this society; didn't bother Ancient Egyptians or not-so-ancient-Hawaiians in the least).

    There's no popular demand to make sibling marriages legal, and none is expected in the foreseeable future. Also, my own position (decidedly FOR gay marriages, if "civil unions for all" is not an option) is not likely to be influenced by this kind of rambling discourse. But let's try to stick to some elementary fairness here: What the guy said was actually quite correct. It just was. Regardless of who he is, or what his hidden agenda may be.

    Your outrage is entirely a predictable result of your partisan expectations.
    But the problem with sibling relationships isn't just children of those relationships (although that is a legitimate interest), but also the fact that many such relationships, if the two were raised for a significant portion of their early lives in the same household, came about through undue influence and/or abuse because there is plenty of evidence that shows that those raised in the same households develop natural aversion to relationships with each other. This is most commonly overridden by some form of abuse or outside influence. And there is little way to know whether the relationship actually developed naturally or whether there was the more common cause, abuse/influence, for such relationships.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #217
    Guru
    Cyrylek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: Pa. gov: Gay marriage is like marriage of siblings

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    But the problem with sibling relationships isn't just children of those relationships (although that is a legitimate interest), but also the fact that many such relationships, if the two were raised for a significant portion of their early lives in the same household, came about through undue influence and/or abuse because there is plenty of evidence that shows that those raised in the same households develop natural aversion to relationships with each other. This is most commonly overridden by some form of abuse or outside influence. And there is little way to know whether the relationship actually developed naturally or whether there was the more common cause, abuse/influence, for such relationships.
    You have any way of knowing "whether the relationship actually developed naturally or whether there was the more common cause, abuse/influence" in the case of your average "perfectly normal", heterosexual, officially sanctioned, societally approved and glorified, etc relationship?

  8. #218
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Pa. gov: Gay marriage is like marriage of siblings

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrylek View Post
    You have any way of knowing "whether the relationship actually developed naturally or whether there was the more common cause, abuse/influence" in the case of your average "perfectly normal", heterosexual, officially sanctioned, societally approved and glorified, etc relationship?
    We have evidence that shows that even when there is no blood relation, there is an aversion that develops for those raised together.

    Evolving a Mechanism to Avoid Sex with Siblings: Scientific American

    Kin Detection

    This I think is a very key component to the evidence, especially when it comes to how it is very different to compare incest relationships with homosexual relationships.

    Humans in all known cultures feel differently about family members than they do about non-family members. To greater or lesser degrees, they are willing to sacrifice some of their own welfare to help family members, and they feel usually disgusted at the prospect of having sexual contact with nuclear family members (those who are genetic relatives). They also often feel incest to be morally wrong, and generally oppose brother-sister and parent-offspring incest in others.
    We know that something of the opposite is true about homosexuality, in that all known cultures had/have homosexuals. And that it was present no matter the taboo against it.

    'Kinship Detectors' Prevent Incest ... In Some Cases | LiveScience

    As for the belief that some sort of abuse or other negative influence happens for most cases of incest (again, when the siblings were raised together), there is this:

    Oedipus Wrecked | Psychology Today

    "When attachment is impaired early in life--through separation or parental neglect--people grow up confusing familial attraction with sexual attraction."

    This makes sense. It may not in fact be the sibling that caused the confusion, but there is still likely some serious psychological problems within the family, and likely either abuse or neglect for such a relationship to develop.

    Now, obviously there could be some exceptions, particularly with the fact that some siblings are being raised separately, but that is one of the reasons that I said that perhaps an exception to the rule of "no sibling marriages" should be made, particularly if they cannot have children. There have been these types of exceptions made in the past in places where siblings cannot legally marry.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #219
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Pa. gov: Gay marriage is like marriage of siblings

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    Yes I am. Do you believe that procreation is central to the states sanction of marriage? If not my post stands.
    Your post only stands if the only argument in support of gay marriage is that procreation is not essential to the state sanction of marriage. As there are many arguments as to why gay marriage should be legal, including but not limited to:

    - legal consistency
    - new family nuclei (benefiting children who need to be adopted)
    - socially de-stigmatizing homosexuality

    your "post" - if that's what that straw man can be called - does not stand anymore than a worm does.

    Now, obviously - your entire post is funny sauce as there are many Southern states who find that "cousin" marriages deserve to be legal before homosexual marriages do. This is true even though there are many academic studies which make it obvious that mixing with somebody who shares your DNA is not a great idea. Now, the fact that you come from Texas, which only recently banned cousin marriages in, what I can only guess, was an effort to stop all the inbreeding in that state makes it all ironic.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 10-06-13 at 02:34 AM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #220
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,604

    Re: Pa. gov: Gay marriage is like marriage of siblings

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    It's no different than incest.
    Of course it is... as has been shown many times. The fact that you refuse to see it because it is just another nail in the coffin of your position does not alter the reality of it's difference.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •