Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 304

Thread: Pa. gov: Gay marriage is like marriage of siblings

  1. #201
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: Pa. gov: Gay marriage is like marriage of siblings

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    How can the supreme court rule that it is so important that it is a protected right if, at the same time it is meaningless in the eyes of the state?
    It is a law to the state. And I never said it was meaningless to the state. I said that it is not the duty of the state to ascribe a meaning to it. You apparently need the state to tell you what marriage is and to enforce that meaning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  2. #202
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Pa. gov: Gay marriage is like marriage of siblings

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrabaholic View Post
    I am conservative, and I think the above is a totally ridiculous thing to say.
    Mayne you're just reprssed??

    Read it agian - it;s half joke half satire...

    Sometimes sad situations need abit of humor to at least lighten people up..

  3. #203
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Pa. gov: Gay marriage is like marriage of siblings

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    So in your mind, anything goes? Doesn't the state have any obligation to uphold any of the moral sensibilities of the majority?
    I have never said "anything goes". In fact, I have no issue with restrictions on numbers of those entering into a contract, particularly marriage, nor with too-close relation restrictions. Those easily are justified by legitimate state interests being furthered by having such restrictions. Restrictions on marriage though based on sex/gender have no legal justification. They are purely about someone feeling morally offended by such relationships, and that simply isn't good enough by our laws for a restriction on a legal contract/document/institute to remain in place.

    Morals such as who should be in relationships or not change quickly. But our main shared morality as a country is the belief that people, all people, are equal and should be treated as such.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #204
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,771

    Re: Pa. gov: Gay marriage is like marriage of siblings

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    1.)So in your mind, anything goes?
    2.)Doesn't the state have any obligation to uphold any of the moral sensibilities of the majority?
    1.) nobdoy said anything goes
    2.) not if it violates individual rights

    morals of the majority are meaningless vs equal rights
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  5. #205
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Pa. gov: Gay marriage is like marriage of siblings

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrabaholic View Post
    I am conservative, and I think the above is a totally ridiculous thing to say.
    Good for you...

    I think a conservative with no humor is either an ailen or a democrat...

  6. #206
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Pa. gov: Gay marriage is like marriage of siblings

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    im sure you think that but the fact is they are different, its obvious to all those without a biased angle and motive

    gay marriage is not equal to incest and never will be

    theres no legal precedence and arguments that link the two
    Listen closely, I didn't link it to incest. The link was to brothers and sisters marrying. This is an example of two consenting adults, no different from any other two consenting adults, unless you want to exclude them. If you do you will have to justify your discrimination.

  7. #207
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,273
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Pa. gov: Gay marriage is like marriage of siblings

    If I've learned one thing from this thread...

    It's that it's nearly impossible to argue with someone so delusional that they believe discriminating against people who hurt nobody = freedom.

    And that equal rights = fascism.

  8. #208
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Pa. gov: Gay marriage is like marriage of siblings

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    It is a law to the state. And I never said it was meaningless to the state. I said that it is not the duty of the state to ascribe a meaning to it. You apparently need the state to tell you what marriage is and to enforce that meaning.
    Yes because the state is an affirmative actor in issuing licence etc.. on what basis does the state do that? There has to be meaning and purpose ascribed.

  9. #209
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,771

    Re: Pa. gov: Gay marriage is like marriage of siblings

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    Listen closely, I didn't link it to incest.
    2.) The link was to brothers and sisters marrying.
    3.) This is an example of two consenting adults, no different from any other two consenting adults
    4.) unless you want to exclude them.
    5.) If you do you will have to justify your discrimination.
    1.) i smell a reframe coming that is still going to fail
    2.) yes which would be incest and if its NOT then i said posts ago if people want to fight for that right that NOBODY has and have some stipulation in it they wont produce offspring then im totally fine with it. Regardless that FACTUALLY has nothing to do with gay marriage. If gay marriage didnt exist that problem still would, since it was once legal and now isnt it further proves it has nothing to do with gay marriage. This fact will never change ever.
    3.) two consenting adults that could create a victim, this is what makes it different.
    4.) see 2 "i" dont want to exclude them and would see it as fine as long as they get rid of the victim
    but the law does want to exclude them because of a possible victim so NOBODY can do it so theres no inequality.

    again nothgin like gay marriage.

    banning gay marriage is inequality has court cases have determined and gay marriage has no victim like incest could

    5.) i dont but its already justified

    and this is why that poster called your argument a strawman and this is way your strawman completely fails


    facts defeat this point again, trying something esle
    Last edited by AGENT J; 10-05-13 at 09:31 PM.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #210
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Pa. gov: Gay marriage is like marriage of siblings

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    Listen closely, I didn't link it to incest. The link was to brothers and sisters marrying. This is an example of two consenting adults, no different from any other two consenting adults, unless you want to exclude them. If you do you will have to justify your discrimination.
    There is an assumed intimate relationship within marriage. It isn't legally mandated, but there is no way to legally separate which couples would be having sex and which wouldn't within their marriage. And it would be rather pointless for two siblings to marry for legal recognition of family because they already have legal familial recognition. Anything else is either available or not what it was meant for to begin with.

    Heck, personally I'm okay with an exception to the sibling rule that we see now, where two siblings not raised together are allowed to marry or at least remain married in many places because they found out after the relationship began that they are siblings.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •