Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 304

Thread: Pa. gov: Gay marriage is like marriage of siblings

  1. #181
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Pa. gov: Gay marriage is like marriage of siblings

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Yes.

    They do.

    And there's little we can do about that in the short term.

    But that's not the point.

    While there can never be an absolute mandate that everyone treat eachother equally...

    We can at the very least, make sure the law does.
    It's not the "laws" responsibility to dictate others emotions - those are ideas that fascists, authoritarians and totalitarians dreamed from the bottom up, but more than occasionally from the top down...

    An individual is not a robot- they're human - they have emotions and when those emotions are attempted to be altered by a am authoritarian platform or party line they tend to use their free unbiased education as a means of dissent... Not propaganda aginst the controlling regime but truth and knowledge -not only at he political level but the national level - to let all know the totalitarian regime is bull****. Similar to Orwells 1984...

    Sure it's possible to enslave 1,000,000's into obedient work camps but they;re the less educated and hence the most obedient but the educated with their civil liberties will be a massive problem with the progressive Communists and considering their agenda is too weak considering their lack of agrgession, which would in theory contradict the entire the whole "hippie peace" movement..

    Don't forget there are plenty of "poor folks" who envision the American dream that you write off as dissidents, beggers and otherwise losers ..

    Damn this could be a movie script about present reality,,,,,

  2. #182
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Pa. gov: Gay marriage is like marriage of siblings

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    I guess they fit that limited definition, but that just makes the point that exclusions are inevitable to the "right" of marriage. In addition, what limits or exclusions are you willing to put on marriage, and how is that legally different from excluding homosexuals? For example any two platonic males, maybe two old guys that just want benefits?
    Restrictions within laws are not the problem at all. The state simply must be able to support the restrictions by showing how those restrictions further a legitimate state interest. The state can show how restrictions on too close relations getting married furthers a state interest in not encouraging relationships that have a high probability of producing children with severe genetic problems, are pretty likely to have been influenced into starting prior to age of consent (if they were raised together), and/or where the participants already have the main benefit of marriage, legal family recognition due to their blood relationship status.

    Nothing prevents two platonic friends/people of the opposite sex now from just getting married for the benefits. It happens all the time. In fact, it happens in the military a lot. And it happens for green cards a lot.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #183
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,798

    Re: Pa. gov: Gay marriage is like marriage of siblings

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Yes.

    They do.

    And there's little we can do about that in the short term.

    But that's not the point.

    While there can never be an absolute mandate that everyone treat eachother equally...

    We can at the very least, make sure the law does
    .
    yep and facts like these will go over looked by those that support discrimination.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #184
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,798

    Re: Pa. gov: Gay marriage is like marriage of siblings

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    It's not the "laws" responsibility to dictate others emotions - those are ideas that fascists, authoritarians and totalitarians dreamed from the bottom up, but more than occasionally from the top down...

    An individual is not a robot- they're human - they have emotions and when those emotions are attempted to be altered by a am authoritarian platform or party line they tend to use their free unbiased education as a means of dissent... Not propaganda aginst the controlling regime but truth and knowledge -not only at he political level but the national level - to let all know the totalitarian regime is bull****. Similar to Orwells 1984...

    Sure it's possible to enslave 1,000,000's into obedient work camps but they;re the less educated and hence the most obedient but the educated with their civil liberties will be a massive problem with the progressive Communists and considering their agenda is too weak considering their lack of agrgession, which would in theory contradict the entire the whole "hippie peace" movement..

    Don't forget there are plenty of "poor folks" who envision the American dream that you write off as dissidents, beggers and otherwise losers ..

    Damn this could be a movie script about present reality,,,,,
    who said "emotions" thats right nobody making the rest of your post meaningless straw man you are trying to sell, why do you make stuff up all the time
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  5. #185
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Pa. gov: Gay marriage is like marriage of siblings

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Are you familiar with the word strawman?
    Yes I am. Do you believe that procreation is central to the states sanction of marriage? If not my post stands.

  6. #186
    Sage

    Scrabaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11,555

    Re: Pa. gov: Gay marriage is like marriage of siblings

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Just because you disagree doesn't make it not fact.... You just don't like it because you're partisan and take sides and don't give a **** what the rational counter argument is because you view it as a partisan political statement rather than a rational argument.

    Gay marriage discriminates against cousins who want incestrial marriage, polygamy, marriage to pets or inanimate objects etc... what about them??? you going to discriminate against them?

    No true ignorance is only focusing on one idea and ignoring the rest....
    I am conservative, and I think the above is a totally ridiculous thing to say.

  7. #187
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Pa. gov: Gay marriage is like marriage of siblings

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    The key is "consenting adults".
    Without the consent, you enter multiple areas of negative and probably illegal activity. It's defining what that consent is which is difficult.

    For example, say a set of twins, separated at some point before they can remember, adopted by different families on opposite sides of the country, meet, become enamored of each other, and engage in sexual activity.

    They then part ways, neither ever being aware that they are related in any way.


    Was that incest?

    Biologically, yes. Mentally, I'd say no. If that matters...
    At least the sentiment was consistent, even if it is just plain wrong.

  8. #188
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Pa. gov: Gay marriage is like marriage of siblings

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Restrictions within laws are not the problem at all. The state simply must be able to support the restrictions by showing how those restrictions further a legitimate state interest. The state can show how restrictions on too close relations getting married furthers a state interest in not encouraging relationships that have a high probability of producing children with severe genetic problems, are pretty likely to have been influenced into starting prior to age of consent (if they were raised together), and/or where the participants already have the main benefit of marriage, legal family recognition due to their blood relationship status.

    Nothing prevents two platonic friends/people of the opposite sex now from just getting married for the benefits. It happens all the time. In fact, it happens in the military a lot. And it happens for green cards a lot.
    I morally object to this as it leaves marriage, as an institution and for the reason that state sanctions marriage, meaningless.

  9. #189
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Pa. gov: Gay marriage is like marriage of siblings

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Yes.

    They do.

    And there's little we can do about that in the short term.

    But that's not the point.

    While there can never be an absolute mandate that everyone treat eachother equally...

    We can at the very least, make sure the law does.
    In short you and all your minions believe gay marriage should be legal JUST BECAUSE YOU SAY SO, and you have absolutely no idea how the legislator workd, our Bill of Rights and more specifically the Tenth (you know the 10the of the othr9..

    My entertainment here is not to insult those who disagree especially those playing American Football with my objective politics..

  10. #190
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Pa. gov: Gay marriage is like marriage of siblings

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    I morally object to this as it leaves marriage, as an institution and for the reason that state sanctions marriage, meaningless.
    It is not and has never been the duty of the state to ascribe a particular meaning to marriage. The meaning comes from the culture and how it is practiced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •