Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 304

Thread: Pa. gov: Gay marriage is like marriage of siblings

  1. #161
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Pa. gov: Gay marriage is like marriage of siblings

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    For medical reasons - not moral reasons. Children born out of cousin marriages have a high incidence of developmental problems.



    For legally pragamatic reasons - not moral ones. Who gets the house when a spouse dies?



    For legal reasons again - pets an inanimate objects can't consent.

    Your lack of information as to why those marriages are illegal is showing.
    I thought the argument from your side was that procreation isn't important to marriage, so incest isn't the issue for sibling marriage and it shouldn't be a problem right? Unless it's just too out of the norm for you....

  2. #162
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Pa. gov: Gay marriage is like marriage of siblings

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    As a legal category, I do not see how it is such a bad comparison. The point is that if the definition isn't going to be "one man and one woman", it must be redefined. The new definition becomes "any two consenting adults". Now, how do you use that definition and exclude brothers and sisters, without discriminating? Your name calling doesn't get it, answer the legal question.
    With the deinition of one man one woman what keeps brothers and sisters from marrying?

  3. #163
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Pa. gov: Gay marriage is like marriage of siblings

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    With the deinition of one man one woman what keeps brothers and sisters from marrying?
    I guess they fit that limited definition, but that just makes the point that exclusions are inevitable to the "right" of marriage. In addition, what limits or exclusions are you willing to put on marriage, and how is that legally different from excluding homosexuals? For example any two platonic males, maybe two old guys that just want benefits?

  4. #164
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Pa. gov: Gay marriage is like marriage of siblings

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    I guess they fit that limited definition, but that just makes the point that exclusions are inevitable to the "right" of marriage. In addition, what limits or exclusions are you willing to put on marriage, and how is that legally different from excluding homosexuals?
    I'd have to prove a valid state interest for exclusions

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    For example any two platonic males, maybe two old guys that just want benefits?
    Like thats never happened before

  5. #165
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Pa. gov: Gay marriage is like marriage of siblings

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    I'd have to prove a valid state interest for exclusions



    Like thats never happened before
    In order to prove a valid state interest for exclusion, you'll have to first define the states interest in the sanction (point of my other thread).
    Should there be exclusions, how will those exclusions not discriminate?

  6. #166
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Pa. gov: Gay marriage is like marriage of siblings

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Nothing is abnormal.

    Some things are just less common.

    And some things which are less common, and harm people, (such as, for example, pedophiles), have been made illegal.


    Being gay used to be illegal. But it never really harmed anyone, so that was bull****.
    Yet society judges based on differences and differences only... Generally society doesn't see a man - they see a gay man, a jewish man, a fat man, a smart man, an uneducated man, a poor man, a rich man..... Society generally doesn't see the individual for who they are and many with difference exploit their differences to get pandered to...

    That's why a lot of gay people will do everything in their power to show to the world that they're gay - hence part of a "protected class."

    Of course anyone who calls that out as the epic bull**** it is - is automatically labeled a racist or homophobe or intolerant while the the individual that dissents opinion doesn't even matter...

    I call that a society that selects what is socially appropriate while demonizing those who disagree in some circles.

  7. #167
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Pa. gov: Gay marriage is like marriage of siblings

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Is interracial marriage abnormal to you?
    I suppose that is a question for demographics - outside of urban settings, yes interracial marriage is abnormal - then again what do you consider "interracial marriage?"

    Would an Arab marring a Swede be considered an "interracial marriage" or a Sicilian marrying a Irish considered interracial??

    Or do the progressives draw the line with blacks and latinos?

  8. #168
    Advisor douglas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-29-16 @ 03:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    458

    Re: Pa. gov: Gay marriage is like marriage of siblings

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Yet you get bent when situations like prop8 occur???

    I suppose if the constitution was amended that would be the end of this entire debate now wouldn't it. Yet our congress want's nothing to do with gay marriage considering it's a Tenth Amendment issue and will continue to be a Tenth Amendment issue until the constitution has been amended with language directed as the issue itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Yeah and the Fourteenth Amendment - not to mention the equal protection clause is vague at best and says absolutely NOTHING about gay marriage.
    It doesn't say anything about ANY minority, discriminatory act, or specific crime. What's your point?

    If a state is treating a minority group different within the law, they have to show harm done by that group, or they're attacking an insular minority. It's illegal, under the 14th A. That describes SSM bans to a 't'. If the gays aren't hurting the majority by marrying, and not one person has shown that to be the case, then they should have equal protection under the law to get married. It's their right, just as it's their right to own cars or have jobs. The 14th A, just as the 9th A, give very open rights to the people;The constitution and all the amendments are their to limit the government, not the people. They have the right to marry until it's specifically forbidden by the constitution, and the state constitutional amendments that block that right are themselves unconstitutional under the 14th A;

    Quote Originally Posted by Equal Protection Clause
    All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

  9. #169
    Advisor douglas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-29-16 @ 03:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    458

    Re: Pa. gov: Gay marriage is like marriage of siblings

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    I thought the argument from your side was that procreation isn't important to marriage, so incest isn't the issue for sibling marriage and it shouldn't be a problem right? Unless it's just too out of the norm for you....
    Personally, I have absolutely no problem with incest, including marriage, between consenting adults.
    Last edited by douglas; 10-05-13 at 07:53 PM. Reason: The internet has teeth.

  10. #170
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Pa. gov: Gay marriage is like marriage of siblings

    Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    It doesn't say anything about ANY minority, discriminatory act, or specific crime. What's your point?

    If a state is treating a minority group different within the law, they have to show harm done by that group, or they're attacking an insular minority. It's illegal, under the 14th A. That describes SSM bans to a 't'. If the gays aren't hurting the majority by marrying, and not one person has shown that to be the case, then they should have equal protection under the law to get married. It's their right, just as it's their right to own cars or have jobs. The 14th A, just as the 9th A, give very open rights to the people;The constitution and all the amendments are their to limit the government, not the people. They have the right to marry until it's specifically forbidden by the constitution, and the state constitutional amendments that block that right are themselves unconstitutional under the 14th A;
    Define "minority group."

    Do you know males are a minority?

    Do you know that white Christian males are a severe minority?

    I suppose all of our differences make every individual a minority somehow some way - it just seems that progressives value certain differences more than others to portray a lynch mob mentality hence a victim hood of certain individuals...
    Last edited by Mr.Nick; 10-05-13 at 07:54 PM.

Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •