Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 88

Thread: Motorcyclists Pull Driver from Car in NYC, Beat Him After Collision

  1. #61
    Educator
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Seen
    11-15-15 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    802

    Re: Motorcyclists Pull Driver from Car in NYC, Beat Him After Collision

    This is the best break down based on the video that I've seen.

    The Jawa Report: Bikers Versus SUV (Updated: New Images Added)

  2. #62
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Motorcyclists Pull Driver from Car in NYC, Beat Him After Collision

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    I ride myself, and also drive a car as well and have seen nothing like that..... The only reason why I could possibly think the guy was boxed in was because he was tailgating them or taunting them for no reason..... Can't say I have ever seen a group of bikers just provoke for no reason whatsoever.......

    I'm pretty sure he wasn't just singled out for no reason.....
    You're seriously naive if you think everybody else is just like you.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #63
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Motorcyclists Pull Driver from Car in NYC, Beat Him After Collision

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    This is a real problem...But it brings up a good question...When confronted by the situation of being intimidated by a gang of Motorcyclists, or even just a group of any kind, in a car, or what ever, do you have the right to flee the scene of an accident?
    Your right to self preservation exceeds your responsibility to sit and wait for the cops to document the accident.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  4. #64
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Motorcyclists Pull Driver from Car in NYC, Beat Him After Collision

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    From what I can gather watching the video and having participated in large rides like this...

    To start, it seems the SUV was determined to drive in the middle of the road. GENERALLY, the etiquette when there is a large group of bikes on a multilane road is to get into the right lane (unless you need a left exit for some reason) and give the outer lanes to the group of bikes. That said, it's etiquette, not law. It seems that despite being in the midst of the group of bikes, the SUV was simply wanting to ride in the middle lane and probably had been for a bit of time as the bikes ended up "Surrounding" it because they had to drive/pass on both sides because of where the SUV was driving.

    It then looks like a few bikers become annoyed that the SUV is doing it, and one particular idiot seems to get in front of the SUV and preceeds to break heavily to slow themselves leading to what LOOKS like the SUV hitting the bike from behind (we don't see the contact on the video, but right up to the moment before it).

    This contact would actually provide a reason why all the bikers likely finally stopped. While people in a group may be annoyed by someone with poor etiquette, the moment a bike is actually HIT (For whatever reason) it's likely to draw the attention of the entire group. Once it was realized a biker was hit, the entire group likely came to a stop to both give the hit biker a chance to regain control of the bike AND likely (wrongly) to give the SUV crap.

    Now, while I think the hitting of the biker is the REASON everyone stopped...the stopping isn't really justified nor was the hit entirely on the SUV guy. At this point your probably having bikers talking/arguing with the SUV driver, causing him to be nervous, and leading to the whole mess that proceeds to occur.
    How many average people know this etiquette?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #65
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Motorcyclists Pull Driver from Car in NYC, Beat Him After Collision

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    From what I can gather watching the video and having participated in large rides like this...

    To start, it seems the SUV was determined to drive in the middle of the road. GENERALLY, the etiquette when there is a large group of bikes on a multilane road is to get into the right lane (unless you need a left exit for some reason) and give the outer lanes to the group of bikes. That said, it's etiquette, not law. It seems that despite being in the midst of the group of bikes, the SUV was simply wanting to ride in the middle lane and probably had been for a bit of time as the bikes ended up "Surrounding" it because they had to drive/pass on both sides because of where the SUV was driving.

    It then looks like a few bikers become annoyed that the SUV is doing it, and one particular idiot seems to get in front of the SUV and preceeds to break heavily to slow themselves leading to what LOOKS like the SUV hitting the bike from behind (we don't see the contact on the video, but right up to the moment before it).

    This contact would actually provide a reason why all the bikers likely finally stopped. While people in a group may be annoyed by someone with poor etiquette, the moment a bike is actually HIT (For whatever reason) it's likely to draw the attention of the entire group. Once it was realized a biker was hit, the entire group likely came to a stop to both give the hit biker a chance to regain control of the bike AND likely (wrongly) to give the SUV crap.

    Now, while I think the hitting of the biker is the REASON everyone stopped...the stopping isn't really justified nor was the hit entirely on the SUV guy. At this point your probably having bikers talking/arguing with the SUV driver, causing him to be nervous, and leading to the whole mess that proceeds to occur.
    I hope you are not justifying the bikers actions either before, nor during the criminal assault shown?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #66
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Motorcyclists Pull Driver from Car in NYC, Beat Him After Collision

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Ok, but what led to that rider getting run over?
    Pulling in front of the Rover and braking while motioning the Rover to stop - while surrounded by all the other bikers.

  7. #67
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: Motorcyclists Pull Driver from Car in NYC, Beat Him After Collision

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    From what I can gather watching the video and having participated in large rides like this...

    To start, it seems the SUV was determined to drive in the middle of the road. GENERALLY, the etiquette when there is a large group of bikes on a multilane road is to get into the right lane (unless you need a left exit for some reason) and give the outer lanes to the group of bikes. That said, it's etiquette, not law. It seems that despite being in the midst of the group of bikes, the SUV was simply wanting to ride in the middle lane and probably had been for a bit of time as the bikes ended up "Surrounding" it because they had to drive/pass on both sides because of where the SUV was driving.

    It then looks like a few bikers become annoyed that the SUV is doing it, and one particular idiot seems to get in front of the SUV and preceeds to break heavily to slow themselves leading to what LOOKS like the SUV hitting the bike from behind (we don't see the contact on the video, but right up to the moment before it).

    This contact would actually provide a reason why all the bikers likely finally stopped. While people in a group may be annoyed by someone with poor etiquette, the moment a bike is actually HIT (For whatever reason) it's likely to draw the attention of the entire group. Once it was realized a biker was hit, the entire group likely came to a stop to both give the hit biker a chance to regain control of the bike AND likely (wrongly) to give the SUV crap.

    Now, while I think the hitting of the biker is the REASON everyone stopped...the stopping isn't really justified nor was the hit entirely on the SUV guy. At this point your probably having bikers talking/arguing with the SUV driver, causing him to be nervous, and leading to the whole mess that proceeds to occur.
    Seriously, you're faulting the SUV guy for his "poor etiquette"? I've never heard of this "proper etiquette". I'm only aware of a requirement to pull to the right when it's an emergency vehicle. How about the etiquette that you don't surround a vehicle and beat a dad up in front of his kid? The douches on the bikes wanted a confrontation so they made one happen. I don't understand sympathizing with them.
    Last edited by X Factor; 10-06-13 at 01:11 AM.

  8. #68
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: Motorcyclists Pull Driver from Car in NYC, Beat Him After Collision

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    How many average people know this etiquette?
    I've never heard of it. I thought motorcycles were subject to the same traffic laws as everyone else. Who knew we owed the duty to stay out of the lanes they want to drive in.

  9. #69
    Sidewalk Inspector
    Utility Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,106

    Re: Motorcyclists Pull Driver from Car in NYC, Beat Him After Collision

    People seem to ignore the fact that the SUV driver was pulled from the vehicle because of this here:

    ....As the motorcyclist, Edwin Mieses Jr., was trying to defuse the standoff, the S.U.V., a Range Rover, accelerated suddenly and ran him over, the lawyer, Gloria Allred, said at a news conference. Mr. Mieses’ back was broken in two places and he also suffered a torn aortic valve and a punctured lung, she said.....


    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/05/ny...says.html?_r=0
    I have yet to see any credible evidence that shows that there was violence up until the point when the SUV driver ran into innocent people and their property while fleeing the scene of the initial accident.

    Heaven help us if this driver ever decides he feels threatened while navigating the crowded mall parking lot or some other high foot traffic area, we could all be inadvertently run down and if we tried to stop him we would probably be arrested.

  10. #70
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Motorcyclists Pull Driver from Car in NYC, Beat Him After Collision

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    How many average people know this etiquette?
    Thus why I said I getting so upset as to do what the motorcyclist did is unreasonable and wrong.

    People in DC, from my experience, seem to know this by and large because there's a lot f memorial rides in the area. I imagine it's less thought of in other places. Regardless, it's not unreasonable to be annoyed with someone...it's entirely unreasonable to hard break in front of someone, or stop traffic, because of it

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •