Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 106

Thread: Can President Obama Unilaterally Raise the Debt Ceiling?

  1. #11
    Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    11-30-13 @ 07:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,293

    Re: Can President Obama Unilaterally Raise the Debt Ceiling?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I've pondered the constitutionality of a debt ceiling in the first place. We're constitutionally barred from defaulting, but when spending is mandated by law and a borrowing limit exists, that leaves a situation in which default is necessary. Which is exactly what Congress has done, they've passed legislation throughout our nations history that has created this spending problem. You can't just stop paying for things your own laws say you're going to pay for.
    Of course you stop paying for things. It's happening right now.

    Nobody to blame but the Senate and Obama but it is what it is. As the law requires.
    "“If we don’t deepen our ports all along the Gulf — places like Charleston, South Carolina; or Savannah, Georgia; or Jacksonville, Florida…” -Obama

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Arlington, tx
    Last Seen
    10-08-13 @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    362

    Re: Can President Obama Unilaterally Raise the Debt Ceiling?

    Quote Originally Posted by ItAin'tFree View Post
    Of course you stop paying for things. It's happening right now.

    Nobody to blame but the Senate and Obama but it is what it is. As the law requires.
    Obama and the Dems were not making any demands of the Republicans. Check me if I am wrong but the Republicans were making the demands and basically saying if you don't do this we are shutting the government down how is it Obama's fault again or Dems? Hell America doesn't agree with how Republicans have acted, are they not the party of the people.

  3. #13
    Advisor aberrant85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Last Seen
    10-04-15 @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    594

    Re: Can President Obama Unilaterally Raise the Debt Ceiling?

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    The government doesn't need to borrow more money. They need to tighten spending to end this credit death spiral. They also need a thorough review of laws affecting business, chunk out totally or reduce any that are driving business away from America. Americans need tighten their own budgets and reduce then eliminate unnecessary debt from the overuse of credit. Americans also need to start finding representatives that will work to end this death spiral today, not those who promise to not spend increases in tax revenue in some future congress which most of them won't even be members of and who can override anything they promise now anyway. Time to stop passing it on and do something about it NOW!
    It's not so simple. Most of our current deficit problem is not excess spending, since that's gone down, but less taxes coming in from less people working and more workers making less money.

    Now is not the time to cut spending, that exacerbates the problem. We need to maintain our safety net, support the middle class, and reassure the markets with policy makers that act responsibly and not unsettle a shaky economy. We have to grow our way out of the deficit, like they did in the 90's.
    "Obamacare delenda est"

  4. #14
    Student francois60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Coral Springs, FL
    Last Seen
    02-12-15 @ 03:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    251

    Re: Can President Obama Unilaterally Raise the Debt Ceiling?

    The Baby Boomers weren't retiring in the 90s.

    As for the OP, I do think the President would be on firm ground invoking the 14th amendment. Regardless of what a mere statute says, the US may not default on debts.

  5. #15
    Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    11-30-13 @ 07:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,293

    Re: Can President Obama Unilaterally Raise the Debt Ceiling?

    Quote Originally Posted by greengirl77 View Post
    Obama and the Dems were not making any demands of the Republicans. Check me if I am wrong but the Republicans were making the demands and basically saying if you don't do this we are shutting the government down how is it Obama's fault again or Dems? Hell America doesn't agree with how Republicans have acted, are they not the party of the people.
    OK. You are checked for being wrong.
    "“If we don’t deepen our ports all along the Gulf — places like Charleston, South Carolina; or Savannah, Georgia; or Jacksonville, Florida…” -Obama

  6. #16
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,961
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: Can President Obama Unilaterally Raise the Debt Ceiling?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    This is like watching the Jersey shore in terms of stupidity. Now i never watched the jersey shore therefore i don't know who the hell would stand for this sort of crap.

    The debt limit needs to be raised. there is no ****ing alternative around it. And I shutter to think that due to congressional incompetence, the president would have to absorb more powers. Can you not see that this is the path to a less democratic society? A less free society? This is the path to tyranny.

    And no, it's not just republicans. All of congress is to blame for this idiocy because neither part cares about the country, all they care about is how they look. It's like they are playing a miss america contest. ****s.
    I get where you are coming from and agree completely, however, that then makes me ask then question Why do you still vote? You and others around the county have acknowledged and said things like neither party cares and that they are both servants to corporations. In doing that you are acknowledging that you do not have control over your own government. You cannot regain control by voting as both parties as a whole no matter the candidates are owned by banks, lobbyists, and the like, thus voting would seem to be illogical. So I have to ask, in knowing that your government is bought out and that they do not care, why do you still vote?

    Crap. I forgot that you are not an American, but still, I pose my question to other Americans.
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  7. #17
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Can President Obama Unilaterally Raise the Debt Ceiling?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I've pondered the constitutionality of a debt ceiling in the first place. We're constitutionally barred from defaulting, but when spending is mandated by law and a borrowing limit exists, that leaves a situation in which default is necessary. Which is exactly what Congress has done, they've passed legislation throughout our nations history that has created this spending problem. You can't just stop paying for things your own laws say you're going to pay for.
    Raising a debt ceiling for present payments implies the money was never there. Debt ceilings are for future expenditures. We don't have an FY14 budget. It's FY13 money that is keeping things going.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  8. #18
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Can President Obama Unilaterally Raise the Debt Ceiling?

    Quote Originally Posted by ItAin'tFree View Post
    Of course you stop paying for things. It's happening right now.

    Nobody to blame but the Senate and Obama but it is what it is. As the law requires.
    The law also requires certain services to be operational.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #19
    Professor
    Un biased's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    05-30-16 @ 10:41 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,642

    Re: Can President Obama Unilaterally Raise the Debt Ceiling?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    I get where you are coming from and agree completely, however, that then makes me ask then question Why do you still vote? You and others around the county have acknowledged and said things like neither party cares and that they are both servants to corporations. In doing that you are acknowledging that you do not have control over your own government. You cannot regain control by voting as both parties as a whole no matter the candidates are owned by banks, lobbyists, and the like, thus voting would seem to be illogical. So I have to ask, in knowing that your government is bought out and that they do not care, why do you still vote?

    Crap. I forgot that you are not an American, but still, I pose my question to other Americans.
    I believe people still vote because there political parties they identify the the closes to they want in office or their just choosing the lesser of two evils .

  10. #20
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Can President Obama Unilaterally Raise the Debt Ceiling?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Raising a debt ceiling for present payments implies the money was never there. Debt ceilings are for future expenditures. We don't have an FY14 budget. It's FY13 money that is keeping things going.
    Except it is for present payments. These various services, expenditures, and programs still exist. The FAA still has a mandate for air safety that they are unable to fulfill.

    Plus, this time the debt ceiling (almost) matching up with the fiscal year is more of a coincidence. A CR passed today through the end of next February still leaves us with a debt ceiling problem.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •