Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 244

Thread: Gay rights organization files federal lawsuit challenging W.Va [W: 86,235]

  1. #61
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Gay rights organization files federal lawsuit challenging W.Va

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    Right, because that is an equal comparison.....
    It is. One is about discrimination in the laws based on relative races, the other is about discrimination in the laws based on relative sexes/genders. Both race and gender/sex are protected against legal discrimination under our Constitution unless the state can show a legitimate state interest is being furthered in such discrimination. There is no legitimate state interest being furthered by denying people the ability to enter into a marriage based solely on their relative sexes/genders, just as there was not a legitimate state interest being furthered based solely on their relative races.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #62
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Gay rights organization files federal lawsuit challenging W.Va

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    Notice that has no bearing on ssm marriage.
    Yes it does. Marriage is marriage. It is a contract. Limiting it to those of opposite sexes is a restriction, not the definition of marriage legally. It is no different than limiting it to those of the same races.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #63
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Gay rights organization files federal lawsuit challenging W.Va

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    It is. One is about discrimination in the laws based on relative races, the other is about discrimination in the laws based on relative sexes/genders. Both race and gender/sex are protected against legal discrimination under our Constitution unless the state can show a legitimate state interest is being furthered in such discrimination. There is no legitimate state interest being furthered by denying people the ability to enter into a marriage based solely on their relative sexes/genders, just as there was not a legitimate state interest being furthered based solely on their relative races.
    Marriage is one man and one woman. There is no purpose for SSM. None whatsoever. Nor is there any biological purpose.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  4. #64
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Gay rights organization files federal lawsuit challenging W.Va

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Yes it does. Marriage is marriage. It is a contract. Limiting it to those of opposite sexes is a restriction, not the definition of marriage legally. It is no different than limiting it to those of the same races.
    Yes it is actually. And if you don't want to put restrictions, siblings need to be allowed to marry, people should be allowed to marry their pets...etc...etc...
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  5. #65
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,798

    Re: Gay rights organization files federal lawsuit challenging W.Va

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    SSM is not a right.
    weird can you point out where i said specifically SSM is a right?
    or how you statement changes anything? thats right it doesn't.

    on this subject you are anti-equal rights and support discrimination, no need to hide that fact
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #66
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    10-20-13 @ 04:50 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,195

    Re: Gay rights organization files federal lawsuit challenging W.Va

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Yes, it is. The SCOTUS has said so many times.

    But as long as marriage is a legal contract, equal treatment/protection of the laws is a constitutionally guaranteed equal right. This is exactly where the Loving decision came from.
    Marriage is not in The Constitution

    What a few activist lawyers in black robes say is irrelevant. SCOTUS has also upheld slavery and Jim Crow Laws. They aren't infallible and above questioning or criticism. I'm all for the states voting what the definition of marriage should be for each individual state, but people like you never accept the results. There is a moral barrier being breached here. It was never the intent by The Founders to have SCOTUS resolve moral and social conflicts which is why these matters should be left to the states.

    Catering/coddling deviant and filthy lifestyles is not in The Constitution

  7. #67
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Gay rights organization files federal lawsuit challenging W.Va

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    weird can you point out where i said specifically SSM is a right?
    or how you statement changes anything? thats right it doesn't.

    on this subject you are anti-equal rights and support discrimination, no need to hide that fact
    You lump it in with equal rights. It must first be a right for it to be an equal right.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  8. #68
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Gay rights organization files federal lawsuit challenging W.Va

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    Yes it is actually. And if you don't want to put restrictions, siblings need to be allowed to marry, people should be allowed to marry their pets...etc...etc...
    And just think all this slippery started with heterosexual marriage!

  9. #69
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Gay rights organization files federal lawsuit challenging W.Va

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    You lump it in with equal rights. It must first be a right for it to be an equal right.
    Marriage is a right.

  10. #70
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Gay rights organization files federal lawsuit challenging W.Va

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    Marriage is one man and one woman. There is no purpose for SSM. None whatsoever. Nor is there any biological purpose.
    That is your personal definition of marriage. It means absolutely zilch legally.

    And no, anyone with more than a few IQ points knows that marriage isn't all about procreation. The point of marriage has no purpose in biology. Procreation happens just fine without marriage. And marriage happens all the time without procreation. We live in the 21st Century, not the past.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •