Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Tea Party Budget Tactics Are Hitting The Military Hard

  1. #1
    onomatopoeic
    mbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-17 @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,350

    Tea Party Budget Tactics Are Hitting The Military Hard

    Yes Right Wingers who want to deny who is responsible for the shut down.. this is Conservative Forbes.

    Tea Party Budget Tactics Are Hitting The Military Hard - Forbes
    10/01/2013 @ 10:52AM

    Only hours before the federal government began its partial shutdown at midnight on Tuesday, Congress passed a law assuring that military personnel will get checks promptly when their next payday rolls around on October 15 — even if there are still no appropriations for the new fiscal year. But that doesn’t mean military families will be untouched by the shutdown. The stateside commissaries where they buy food are closed. Most government-funded travel has been suspended. Services provided by civilian federal workers will be disrupted. Even death benefits for warfighters killed in action might be delayed.
    [.......]
    The vast warfighting machine that the nation spent trillions of dollars building up after 9-11 is rapidly running down, a victim of partisan bickering in which the once staunchly pro-defense Republican Party has become the biggest threat to U.S. military preparedness. That’s a title that GOP partisans gleefully attached to the Democrats after Vietnam, but most Republicans in the House now seem to have higher priorities than keeping the joint force trained and equipped.
    [........]
    So when Republican proponents of the Tea Party agenda in the House speak in glowing terms about disrupting federal funding mechanisms — “We’re very excited,” says Michelle Bachmann (R-MN), “It’s wonderful” says John Culberson (R-TX) — we ought to see their enthusiasm for what it is. It is ideological fervor fed at the expense of America’s warfighters.
    Those warfighters are more likely to die in future conflicts because funding for training and technology was cut, and their families are more likely to suffer in the near term for lack of support. The good news is that once legislators in both parties realize that is what’s happening, the Tea Party movement is likely to lose its momentum.
    I'm personally sick of not being able to dunk a basketball because of racism.
    anon

  2. #2
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Tea Party Budget Tactics Are Hitting The Military Hard

    Oh well, if FORBES says it all conservatives must agree.

    Perhaps conservatives aren't the follow along puppies liberals are and are willing instead to think for themselves. And btw, if our military forces are "rapidly running down" what the hell has the president and the democratic senate been doing the last six years?

  3. #3
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Tea Party Budget Tactics Are Hitting The Military Hard

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Oh well, if FORBES says it all conservatives must agree.

    Perhaps conservatives aren't the follow along puppies liberals are and are willing instead to think for themselves. And btw, if our military forces are "rapidly running down" what the hell has the president and the democratic senate been doing the last six years?
    Why, exactly what the GOP Congress has been doing. Enjoying the feast of privilege. Decorating their offices. Flying to Paris to strengthen our international relationships. Writing books. Making $30K speeches.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: Tea Party Budget Tactics Are Hitting The Military Hard

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Oh well, if FORBES says it all conservatives must agree.

    Perhaps conservatives aren't the follow along puppies liberals are and are willing instead to think for themselves. And btw, if our military forces are "rapidly running down" what the hell has the president and the democratic senate been doing the last six years?
    More like lemmings. Not one Republican in the House had the courage to break with the Tea Party's scorch earth policy.

    And you're actually arguing that conservatives "think for themselves". BWHHAHAHHAHAHH!

  5. #5
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Tea Party Budget Tactics Are Hitting The Military Hard

    Quote Originally Posted by head of joaquin View Post
    More like lemmings. Not one Republican in the House had the courage to break with the Tea Party's scorch earth policy.

    And you're actually arguing that conservatives "think for themselves". BWHHAHAHHAHAHH!
    You have precious little room to talk on that last, you're known for your slavish regurgitation of anti GOP memes.

  6. #6
    Weekend Political Pundit
    Bob N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 11:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,821

    Re: Tea Party Budget Tactics Are Hitting The Military Hard

    Quote Originally Posted by head of joaquin View Post
    More like lemmings. Not one Republican in the House had the courage to break with the Tea Party's scorch earth policy.

    And you're actually arguing that conservatives "think for themselves". BWHHAHAHHAHAHH!
    Well HOJ, when it comes to doing what's right you know that the GOP is going to be patriotic and support our warfighters... mean insurance companies.
    "The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations." `Thomas Jefferson

  7. #7
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Tea Party Budget Tactics Are Hitting The Military Hard

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob N View Post
    Well HOJ, when it comes to doing what's right you know that the GOP is going to be patriotic and support our warfighters... mean insurance companies.
    Wrong party there - Obama met with the insurance companies early on and gave them whatever they wanted from the deal. Did it closed door too, that's why for a while there Pelosi thought a single payer option was on the table and had to quickly backtrack.

  8. #8
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Tea Party Budget Tactics Are Hitting The Military Hard

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Wrong party there - Obama met with the insurance companies early on and gave them whatever they wanted from the deal. Did it closed door too, that's why for a while there Pelosi thought a single payer option was on the table and had to quickly backtrack.
    That's because conservatives were unwilling to engage with the process and help challenge the corporate establishment in Washington.

    It is sort of like the Mass Effect 3 endings:

    You can (1) destroy the Establishment but America dies, (2) merge with the Establishment, or (3) overpower and control the Establishment.

    (3) was a locked option, (1) was not really an option at all, so we went with (2).
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  9. #9
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,775

    Re: Tea Party Budget Tactics Are Hitting The Military Hard

    Tell us more about how life is like a space video game.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  10. #10
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Tea Party Budget Tactics Are Hitting The Military Hard

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    That's because conservatives were unwilling to engage with the process and help challenge the corporate establishment in Washington.

    It is sort of like the Mass Effect 3 endings:

    You can (1) destroy the Establishment but America dies, (2) merge with the Establishment, or (3) overpower and control the Establishment.

    (3) was a locked option, (1) was not really an option at all, so we went with (2).
    Nope, the closed door meetings between Obama and insurance company execs happenned very early on in the process while the bill was still being authored. He promised them no single payer.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •