Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 201

Thread: Poll: Americans reject GOP shutdown strategy[W:200]

  1. #91
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Poll: Americans reject GOP shutdown strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Yes, that's why Discharge Petitions are used frequently...
    well, Democrats might be able to attempt a discharge petition.... after a "clean" ( whatever the hell that means) CR sits in committee for at least 30 days... and if they have a majority vote in the house to bring it out of committee... and they have a majority to pass the bill once the vote is held..

    the only thing that actually have shot at doing is waiting 30 days... they don't have a majority anywhere to pull a bill out of committee or to actually pass the bill.
    they would have to compromise with Republicans to get it done... and we all know that isn't happening.

    my guess is that they will find every available camera they can get their hands on and whine about the all powerful GOP... and further inform America that it's actually the GOP that runs the show.

  2. #92
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,985

    Re: Poll: Americans reject GOP shutdown strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    I understand this, but good luck finding support from Repubs to get a majority. It is basically use only when the majority wants to cede power to the minority in rare instances...
    some of the votes are there. consider the Republicans who voted against their party's continuing resolution bills, or have spoken out againsit their parties extreme tactics.

    The signatures are almost there. The House is composed of 200 Democrats, who would likely get behind the petition if someone started organizing. Then they’d only need to find 18 Republican allies to make it happen. Most likely, they could rely on some of the Republicans who voted against at least one of their party’s sham funding bill on the floor on Monday: Reps. Charlie Dent (R-PA), Peter King (R-NY), Mario Diaz-Balart (R-FL), Chris Gibson (R-NY), Richard Hanna (R-NY), and Scott Rigell (R-VA) were the six who voted against it because it was too extreme.

    And additional five Reps. Patrick Meehan (R-PA, Mike Fitzpatrick (R-PA), Jon Runyan (R-NJ), Devin Nunes (R-CA), Frank Wolf (R-VA) have, since the shutdown began, come out in favor of a clean bill. Another two Representatives — Frank LoBiondo (R-NJ) and Reid Ribble (R-WI) — have hinted that they might be, as well, bringing the count of Republicans to 13.
    How Lawmakers Can Get The Government Funded Again | ThinkProgress

  3. #93
    Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    11-30-13 @ 07:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,293

    Re: Poll: Americans reject GOP shutdown strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    So Obama is to blame for the fact that their numbers have been dwindling for years?



    She may as well have. She won by a full percentage point in district that's been Republican more often than it has been Democrat.

    So Michelle Bachmann is being reelected in a district that has been mostly Republican for.... 50 years. Big deal. Where will she be in 2016? As I said - not seeking reelection.



    Minnesota 6th Congressional District 2012 [14]
    Party Candidate Votes Percentage
    Republican Michele Bachmann (Incumbent) 179,240 50.47%
    DFL Jim Graves 174,944 49.26%

    Write-In Others 969 0.27%
    Totals 355,153 100.0%

    The strength of the Tea Party: Winning districts that are already Republican.
    Once again, where are all those Dems that lost in 2010 because of the Tea Party? They are not back in the House because of, well, the Tea Party.

    Have Obama illegally sic the IRS on you for being whatever. What's your next move? The Tea Party took an illegal one on the chin but they are still around and still having a major impact. That's a lot more than can be said about all those Dems that lost their jobs in the House because of them.
    "“If we don’t deepen our ports all along the Gulf — places like Charleston, South Carolina; or Savannah, Georgia; or Jacksonville, Florida…” -Obama

  4. #94
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,053

    Re: Poll: Americans reject GOP shutdown strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    They seem to be imposing their will as we speak.
    If their will was to shut down the US government, you'd have a point. As they want to gut Obamacare, not really. It's not going to happen. A government shutdown does not mean what you think it means.

    Is their "will" to shut down national parks, museums and zoos? Nope? Oh, they're closed anyways.
    Is their "will" to shut down the IRS? Nope. Taxes will still be collected.
    Is their will to shut down Obamacare? Oh, alright, it's still being implemented as we speak.
    Is their will to shut down gun sales? Oh, alright because gun permits don't get processed without a functioning government.
    Is their will to hurt small businesses? Oh alright, because small business owners can't get loans from government.

    In essence, Republicans haven't done anything but shut down cultural institutions, hurt gun owners and small businesses. ObamaCare is still being implemented, the IRS is still collecting taxes. So what have they accomplished? Well, they've made it harder to get a gun, a loan and have subsequently arranged it so people can't even go camping.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #95
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Poll: Americans reject GOP shutdown strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    some of the votes are there. consider the Republicans who voted against their party's continuing resolution bills, or have spoken out againsit their parties extreme tactics.



    How Lawmakers Can Get The Government Funded Again | ThinkProgress
    The primary job of a Representative is to represent their electorate, and most, if not all, ran their campaigns on repealing or defunding ACA...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  6. #96
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,053

    Re: Poll: Americans reject GOP shutdown strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by ItAin'tFree View Post
    Once again, where are all those Dems that lost in 2010 because of the Tea Party?
    You keep bringing this up as if it wasn't a fact that Democrats lost some weak seats in contested districts that swing back and forth. Why?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #97
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,053

    Re: Poll: Americans reject GOP shutdown strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Scott Brown took Teddy's seat...
    Who took his seat after? I'll give you a clue - it wasn't a Tea Party member.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #98
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Poll: Americans reject GOP shutdown strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Who took his seat after? I'll give you a clue - it wasn't a Tea Party member.
    Doesn't matter. Your point is demonstrably flawed. These things happen, i'll give you a clue, they're called anomalies.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  9. #99
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Poll: Americans reject GOP shutdown strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    If their will was to shut down the US government, you'd have a point. As they want to gut Obamacare, not really. It's not going to happen. A government shutdown does not mean what you think it means.

    Is their "will" to shut down national parks, museums and zoos? Nope? Oh, they're closed anyways.
    Is their "will" to shut down the IRS? Nope. Taxes will still be collected.
    Is their will to shut down Obamacare? Oh, alright, it's still being implemented as we speak.
    Is their will to shut down gun sales? Oh, alright because gun permits don't get processed without a functioning government.
    Is their will to hurt small businesses? Oh alright, because small business owners can't get loans from government.

    In essence, Republicans haven't done anything but shut down cultural institutions, hurt gun owners and small businesses. ObamaCare is still being implemented, the IRS is still collecting taxes. So what have they accomplished? Well, they've made it harder to get a gun, a loan and have subsequently arranged it so people can't even go camping.
    No, it's their will to at least delay the individual mandate of Obamacare. Along with other provisions that aren't getting the same attention as that one. I agree, they aren't getting it. However, I believe their view is that the Dems aren't getting what they want either.
    Are they going about it the right way? I don't believe so. I believe they should have drawn the line that they will drop the Obamacare provision if they got every other provision they asked for. Seeing as how the Obamacare portion of their terms is getting the most press, doing that would have forced the Senate to sign whatever they put in front of them. It also would have given those that ran on the platform of repealing Obamacare a little leeway because they could have claimed they were looking out for America by dropping that portion of their deal. But, that's just me. Saying that I believe the Tea Party is still viable and agreeing with what they are doing, in this case, are two different things.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  10. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Arlington, tx
    Last Seen
    10-08-13 @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    362

    Re: Poll: Americans reject GOP shutdown strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Yes, all of us are bigots and racist. All of us called the POTUS every name in the book. You're right.
    Are you really trying to say that never happened ??? Becausae there is plenty of proof of just that. It one thing to say yeah it happened. But another to totally deny it.

    Yeah a guy over in Germany convinced some people that the poor, sick, hungry, and a different religion was the cause of their problems and we see how well that worked out in the 1940. I guess you and your teaailban will deny that to.

    I am still waiting to see a legit platform the Teabaggers run on because the Constitution doesnt cut it! because the baggers have ignored that.


    Section 4.
    The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned. But neither the United States nor any state shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or any claim for the loss or emancipation of any slave; but all such debts, obligations and claims shall be held illegal and void.

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •