Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 501

Thread: Obama Address the Nation on the government shutdown.

  1. #71
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Obama Address the Nation on the government shutdown.

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    You don't think exempted employees doesn't increase the cost of ACA? Instead of claiming the GOP is lying you ought to be supporting the GOP in trying to get rid of Obamacare.
    This is what is so weird about Grassley's provision, why would he insist that those already with insurance (Congressional employees) be forced into a whole new insurance regime? The only thing that makes sense is a sabotage.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  2. #72
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:16 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,670

    Re: Obama Address the Nation on the government shutdown.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Yes, but show me where $17 trillion is "good" debt. Can you even phathom what $16 trillion is, or what is needed to pay that off?

    Also, when you reach your maximum limit on your "loan" or credit card, do you just call up the bank and say raise my limit each time or does the bank finally say "no, you can't get an increase"?
    The debt limit doesn't limit future spending, it pays for spending that's already been passed.

    Congress doesn't have a credit limit, but they do have to pay their bills. They can vote to spend whatever they want and sell T bills to make up the difference. They can continue to do this until they can't pay for what they spend. If that happens,T note will be risky investments. They'll demand high rates. The cost of financing the debt will explode destroying the US economy.

    And all of this happens if GOP refuses to pay for what they spent. Not raising the debt ceiling would harm the US more than any terrorist ever could.

  3. #73
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,258

    Re: Obama Address the Nation on the government shutdown.

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    "This" will be over next year when Dems take back the House. So don't despair.
    Great, cannot wait since the economic numbers under Democrat control of the Congress have been so stellar, in fact they have been so good that supporters have been unable to post them because the celebration would be so great on the part of the Obamabots. Guess I will never understand people who buy the rhetoric and ignore the results.

  4. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Obama Address the Nation on the government shutdown.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mithros View Post
    The debt limit doesn't limit future spending, it pays for spending that's already been passed.

    Congress doesn't have a credit limit, but they do have to pay their bills. They can vote to spend whatever they want and sell T bills to make up the difference. They can continue to do this until they can't pay for what they spend. If that happens,T note will be risky investments. They'll demand high rates. The cost of financing the debt will explode destroying the US economy.

    And all of this happens if GOP refuses to pay for what they spent. Not raising the debt ceiling would harm the US more than any terrorist ever could.
    You have yet to show me how raising the debt each year is going to pay it off.

  5. #75
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,356

    Re: Obama Address the Nation on the government shutdown.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    This is what is so weird about Grassley's provision, why would he insist that those already with insurance (Congressional employees) be forced into a whole new insurance regime? The only thing that makes sense is a sabotage.
    For the same reason that Obamacare would force people who already have insurance into a whole new insurance regime.

    If Obamacare is so awesome, why not put everyone on it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #76
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Obama Address the Nation on the government shutdown.

    Quote Originally Posted by shagg View Post
    You answer my questions with questions. First off, what I'm saying is that republicans asking for a delay so that obamacare can be implemented correctly is an outright lie that they won't even try to defend, they don't want it done right they want it gone as a best possible scenario (from their perspective) or done wrong as a 2nd best scenario.
    Morning Shagg....

    That's an excuse for inaction on the part of demo's that want to just keep this law in place. If it is known by both sides that there are real problems with implementation of the law, and refuse to take at face value a minor delay while these issues are addressed, but just go ahead with it anyway for the purpose of cementing it in stone, then who is to blame when we start to hear the stories of lives destroyed by the law when they come out?

    To address your post:

    Thats 3 questions in 1 sentence
    A) not necessarily, it was rushed and certainly could have been written better, with more consideration to certain issues. But when your writing in pencil (effectively) you don't crumple the whole crossword puzzle up because one of your answers doesn't fit in light of more recent developments, you flip the pencil around, use the eraser, and fix it.
    If it could have been written better as you say, then why weren't these issues addressed before the demo's jammed this through on a party line vote, in the middle of the night? Is that 'working for the people'? I say no. But, to use an analogy that I think fits here...If you are replacing the light fixture in your dining room say, and you pull the old one down, and notice that the wiring needs to be fixed or it could be a fire hazard, do you put up the light, and turn it on anyway without fixing the wiring first? Or do you just let the house possibly burn down because you want to say look at that shiny new light fixture?

    B)yes
    No, this is not what we are seeing so far....Reports are that in fact most of the nation will see increases to their premiums.

    C) that's not the point of the ACA, its to make coverage affordable and available. However, the ACA should increase competition, which should cause quality to improve over time.
    We know that is the theory that is being pushed, but, can you point to one government program, or entitlement that costs less today, than was projected when it was implemented?

    There's tons of contradictory evidence that points to both sides being both right and wrong. There's also a lot of evidence of dishonesty with statistics, misrepresentation of facts, deliberately misleading sound bytes, and most everyone (but republicans far more so) working backwards from their conclusion and trying to find something that supports their own position, at times taking actions that create said evidence without any real need to do so (business owners ****ting on their workers in anticipation of obamacare, when they didn't need to take a dump anyway and could have done so elsewhere if they needed to). I trust none of it, let the ACA happen and lets see how it goes. America is strong enough to make the corrections needed and endure should the ACA prove to be as bad as the right makes it out to be. On the other hand, it could end up working really really well with a few adjustments, which is what the right is really scared of.
    And this is the problem you have when a bill that is over bloated, and jammed with all kinds of hidden taxation and dishonest regulation hidden in over 2800 pages that NO ONE read, and the speaker at the time said "we have to pass the bill, before we can know what is in the bill", and in fact didn't read it herself, and rammed it through in the middle of the night on a one part line vote, what do you expect? Demo's don't want this law dissected, because the people know of it, the less they like it, and start to see that the trade off of liberty contained within, as opposed to the goodies contained within, are not a fair trade off.

    Bad analogies are bad. You suggest that obamacare will ruin the lives of those in congress if they don't exempt themselves. Do you think any of them would have a hard time buying health insurance, top tier, out of pocket? Just another empty talking point that sounds good but makes no sense if you stop to think about it.
    So then why'd they exempt themselves? And why are they screaming like stuck pigs if they have to pay like everyone else? Dismissing it as a talking point is a pure dodge in addressing why it is that these members feel that the laws they pass only apply to the little people.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #77
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denio Junction
    Last Seen
    11-13-14 @ 12:09 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,039
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Obama Address the Nation on the government shutdown.

    That's what they want, more for them and less for us....grubbynutt the true evil.


    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    For the same reason that Obamacare would force people who already have insurance into a whole new insurance regime.

    If Obamacare is so awesome, why not put everyone on it?

  8. #78
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Obama Address the Nation on the government shutdown.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Only if it adds that Congress doesn't get paid until it's done and after one month past the deadline new elections are held for ALL congress members. I'm not up for some wishy washy amendment with no teeth.
    I'd agree to that....I'd even suggest 2 weeks.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #79
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:14 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,057

    Re: Obama Address the Nation on the government shutdown.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Actually it is a big deal for world markets, stock markets, and how the world looks at us from a economic stability point, etc.

    This just makes us look bad and hurts us in many ways. I blame both sides and the president for this crap.
    Making decisions based on what the world thinks, and what is best for the stock market, is what got us in 90 percent of our mess to begin with.

  10. #80
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,358

    Re: Obama Address the Nation on the government shutdown.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    For the same reason that Obamacare would force people who already have insurance into a whole new insurance regime.

    If Obamacare is so awesome, why not put everyone on it?
    Because that is not what the AHC act was about. It is meant to allow the UNINSURED to finally be able to purchase HC. That is its purpose. I am not surprised that you are clueless about it most who oppose it are.

Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •