Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 501

Thread: Obama Address the Nation on the government shutdown.

  1. #51
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,227

    Re: Obama Address the Nation on the government shutdown.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mithros View Post
    Compromise is a transaction, give a little, get a little. What have the Republicans put on the table in exchange for
    defunding the ACA? Allowing the government to function? Paying the bills they've already voted for? Not sabotaging the US economy? Wanting the government to function isn't a Democratic priority, it's an American priority.

    LOL !!

    They couldn't sabotage the economy anymore than it already is.

    When has our economy EVER been totally dependent on the decisions of one man ?

    All Bernake has to do is stay , "stop".

  2. #52
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,945

    Re: Obama Address the Nation on the government shutdown.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    We've looked bad since 2008, and thr World knows full well our economy is a stack of cards held up by Fed Printing.

    They are'nt impressed.
    We were hardly "looking good" in the eyes of the world prior to that too. It's funny how for 8 years some on the right went "**** what the world thinks of us" but loves to pull it out now with Obama.

    If you want to suggest that Obama didn't exactly make us the most popular girl in the room again like he was suggesting he would, that's fair...but let's be real, the World at large would poke and prod the US long before he got in the office.

    Then again, Pepsi constantly pokes at Coke, Burger King constantly pokes at McDonalds, etc. With a certain amount of prosperity there's always a certain amount of disdain. When someone/thing has been successful or on top for a while people love to watch them stumble. It's the general nature of the human condition.

  3. #53
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,253

    Re: Obama Address the Nation on the government shutdown.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Did you seriously ask what purpose telling the truth would serve? The truth isn't for the "Obamabots" as you call it nor is it to change THEIR minds as they won't be changed, the purpose is to have integrity. I thought the GOP were the party of integrity according to you, so why the lies?

    You say you are not excusing the GOP lying, but your comments show differently. If the GOP can't even tell the truth when they are in the right, then how can they be trusted?
    Here we have someone like you who claims to be against deficits and debt and claiming he is against the ACA concerned about so called Republican lies while ignoring the added costs of all those exempted from the Obamacare program. What exact lies have the GOP made? I don't see the GOP lies so point me to them.

  4. #54
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Obama Address the Nation on the government shutdown.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Agreed, I'm just tired of the BS games BOTH sides are playing. All the parties involved (The President, the house, and the senate) have played these games far too long. We need a budget, we desperately need reforms and reviews of ALL programs, we need accountability, and we need to get rid of any one of those that want to play these games. This goes beyond conservatism, liberalism, Dems or Reps. Neither side is clean.
    Three words for you.....Balanced Budget Amendment.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #55
    Wading Through Bull****
    shagg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,477

    Re: Obama Address the Nation on the government shutdown.

    You answer my questions with questions. First off, what I'm saying is that republicans asking for a delay so that obamacare can be implemented correctly is an outright lie that they won't even try to defend, they don't want it done right they want it gone as a best possible scenario (from their perspective) or done wrong as a 2nd best scenario.

    To address your post:
    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    You really believe that the ACA is (A)a good piece of legislation that is (B)going to lower healthcare costs and (C)improve quality?
    Thats 3 questions in 1 sentence
    A) not necessarily, it was rushed and certainly could have been written better, with more consideration to certain issues. But when your writing in pencil (effectively) you don't crumple the whole crossword puzzle up because one of your answers doesn't fit in light of more recent developments, you flip the pencil around, use the eraser, and fix it.

    B)yes

    C) that's not the point of the ACA, its to make coverage affordable and available. However, the ACA should increase competition, which should cause quality to improve over time.

    Based upon what evidence?
    There's tons of contradictory evidence that points to both sides being both right and wrong. There's also a lot of evidence of dishonesty with statistics, misrepresentation of facts, deliberately misleading sound bytes, and most everyone (but republicans far more so) working backwards from their conclusion and trying to find something that supports their own position, at times taking actions that create said evidence without any real need to do so (business owners ****ting on their workers in anticipation of obamacare, when they didn't need to take a dump anyway and could have done so elsewhere if they needed to). I trust none of it, let the ACA happen and lets see how it goes. America is strong enough to make the corrections needed and endure should the ACA prove to be as bad as the right makes it out to be. On the other hand, it could end up working really really well with a few adjustments, which is what the right is really scared of.

    Do you go into a restaurant where the chef doesn't eat the food that restaurant prepares? What is the difference in exempting Congress from the bill?
    Bad analogies are bad. You suggest that obamacare will ruin the lives of those in congress if they don't exempt themselves. Do you think any of them would have a hard time buying health insurance, top tier, out of pocket? Just another empty talking point that sounds good but makes no sense if you stop to think about it.
    Could It Be Semantics Generating This Mess We're In?

  6. #56
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,876

    Re: Obama Address the Nation on the government shutdown.

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Your opinion noted, so Congress doesn't get special treatment under Obamacare? What is it about liberalism that creates this kind of loyalty?
    Facts.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Obama Address the Nation on the government shutdown.

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Here we have someone like you who claims to be against deficits and debt and claiming he is against the ACA concerned about so called Republican lies while ignoring the added costs of all those exempted from the Obamacare program. What exact lies have the GOP made? I don't see the GOP lies so point me to them.
    Please explain to me how I am ignoring the added costs of Obamacare. Point to anywhere in this thread where I have supported the ACA. Otherwise, you are blatently lying.

    As for the GOP lies, saying they want to delay it so it can be better implemented is a lie, they want to delay it to kill it. I don't like ACA and don't want it, but that doesn't excuse the GOP lying about their intentions.

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Obama Address the Nation on the government shutdown.

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Three words for you.....Balanced Budget Amendment.
    Only if it adds that Congress doesn't get paid until it's done and after one month past the deadline new elections are held for ALL congress members. I'm not up for some wishy washy amendment with no teeth.

  9. #59
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Obama Address the Nation on the government shutdown.

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    What is it about liberalism that creates this kind of loyalty?
    You don't understand yourself?
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  10. #60
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,732

    Re: Obama Address the Nation on the government shutdown.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Please explain to me how I am ignoring the added costs of Obamacare. Point to anywhere in this thread where I have supported the ACA. Otherwise, you are blatently lying.

    As for the GOP lies, saying they want to delay it so it can be better implemented is a lie, they want to delay it to kill it. I don't like ACA and don't want it, but that doesn't excuse the GOP lying about their intentions.
    I thought it was repeal and replace?

    Probably just repeal.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •