Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 501

Thread: Obama Address the Nation on the government shutdown.

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Obama Address the Nation on the government shutdown.

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    And exactly what purpose would that serve? You think the Obamabots would change their opinion?
    Did you seriously ask what purpose telling the truth would serve? The truth isn't for the "Obamabots" as you call it nor is it to change THEIR minds as they won't be changed, the purpose is to have integrity. I thought the GOP were the party of integrity according to you, so why the lies?

    You say you are not excusing the GOP lying, but your comments show differently. If the GOP can't even tell the truth when they are in the right, then how can they be trusted?

  2. #32
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Obama Address the Nation on the government shutdown.

    I do agree with TNE to a point. That said, I do think it's reasonable to say essentially both...that they want an extension so that IF it has to roll out, that it can be rolled out fairly and efficiently across the board AND if possible they can try to stop it entirely.

    I do find it funny how the Democrats are attepmting to paint this singularly as a dereliction of duty on the part of the republicans and comparing them to terrorists or hostage takers for using the shut down as a leverage point. The only reason it's GOTTEN to this point and it's actually viable that the government might shut down is because the congress, Senate LARGELY included, has been entirely derelict of their duty to PASS A BUDGET. For FIVE YEARS now this congress has been completely unable to fulfill one of it's most basic tasks...to pass a BUDGET.

    I can agree with the notion that an EMERGENCY CR, to give time to actually pass a budget, should be a clean bill. Something to simply "continue" what's going on now as the debate is raging on.

    This is not what this is. You do not have "EMERGENCY" continuing resolutions for going on FIVE YEARS.

    The President suggested on NPR that he shouldn't be asked to give up anything to "Fund the government". That's ridiculous in an over arching notion. Budgets ABSOLUTELY have been built upon and created with the notion of compromise and each side giving a bit on what they want. The problem is that for FIVE YEARS, this congress has refused to actually pass a budget up to the Presidents desk. They keep relying on these last minute "emergency" continuing resolutions to simply roll over the same "emergency stimulous" related increased spending because they can claim that it needs to be a "clean" bill.

    No, when you routinely and CONTINUALLY utilize a Continuing Resolution as your defacto Budget you DON'T get the ability to demand that "Clean" bills are the only thing you'll take. When you're CONTINUALLY throw a "temper tantrum" over actually passing a Budget, you don't get to then complain about others throwing a "temper tantrum" when they don't just roll over and let your earlier tantrum off the hook.

    Both sides need to be strung up for this and the focus on one side is ridiculous. Actually pass a ****ing budget for once in HALF A DECADE, through the normal means of give and take, and then perhaps there'd be a good faith reason to put forward short term CR's if a little more debate was needed. But when you ROUTINELY show you will absolutely NOT participate in the budgetary process then I can't fault the House, whose only real power IS the purse strings, to attempt to utilize the only actual pseudo-budgetary bill that the Senate will allow to come to the table.

  3. #33
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Obama Address the Nation on the government shutdown.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I do agree with TNE to a point. That said, I do think it's reasonable to say essentially both...that they want an extension so that IF it has to roll out, that it can be rolled out fairly and efficiently across the board AND if possible they can try to stop it entirely.

    I do find it funny how the Democrats are attepmting to paint this singularly as a dereliction of duty on the part of the republicans and comparing them to terrorists or hostage takers for using the shut down as a leverage point. The only reason it's GOTTEN to this point and it's actually viable that the government might shut down is because the congress, Senate LARGELY included, has been entirely derelict of their duty to PASS A BUDGET. For FIVE YEARS now this congress has been completely unable to fulfill one of it's most basic tasks...to pass a BUDGET.

    I can agree with the notion that an EMERGENCY CR, to give time to actually pass a budget, should be a clean bill. Something to simply "continue" what's going on now as the debate is raging on.

    This is not what this is. You do not have "EMERGENCY" continuing resolutions for going on FIVE YEARS.

    The President suggested on NPR that he shouldn't be asked to give up anything to "Fund the government". That's ridiculous in an over arching notion. Budgets ABSOLUTELY have been built upon and created with the notion of compromise and each side giving a bit on what they want. The problem is that for FIVE YEARS, this congress has refused to actually pass a budget up to the Presidents desk. They keep relying on these last minute "emergency" continuing resolutions to simply roll over the same "emergency stimulous" related increased spending because they can claim that it needs to be a "clean" bill.

    No, when you routinely and CONTINUALLY utilize a Continuing Resolution as your defacto Budget you DON'T get the ability to demand that "Clean" bills are the only thing you'll take. When you're CONTINUALLY throw a "temper tantrum" over actually passing a Budget, you don't get to then complain about others throwing a "temper tantrum" when they don't just roll over and let your earlier tantrum off the hook.

    Both sides need to be strung up for this and the focus on one side is ridiculous. Actually pass a ****ing budget for once in HALF A DECADE, through the normal means of give and take, and then perhaps there'd be a good faith reason to put forward short term CR's if a little more debate was needed. But when you ROUTINELY show you will absolutely NOT participate in the budgetary process then I can't fault the House, whose only real power IS the purse strings, to attempt to utilize the only actual pseudo-budgetary bill that the Senate will allow to come to the table.
    What a mess. Just reported on FNC, the Senate has "tabled" the house proposal, and the President will speak from the Rose Garden at 12:30....For what? More rhetoric? More blame the repubs? Good grief!

    While I agree with you about the budget process Zyph, one party controlling only half of 1/3 of the levers of power in this country are basically as powerless as they were when Pelosi and the demo's controlled all three. Especially when you have a Senate leader that runs blocker to anything put forward, while our name caller and chief does nothing but divide, and smear his opponents.

    This won't change until America wakes up and realizes that the real anarchists are the political terrorists they elected to office in '12.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #34
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Obama Address the Nation on the government shutdown.

    Quote Originally Posted by cpgrad08 View Post
    It was amazing the blatant partisan BS just flows and the media doesn't call him on it. Make no mistake, about 90% of what he was saying is skewed and an outright deception.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  5. #35
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,733

    Re: Obama Address the Nation on the government shutdown.

    Shutting down the government did nothing. The debt clock is still going up!

    U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time

    Just Kidding.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  6. #36
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Obama Address the Nation on the government shutdown.

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    What a mess. Just reported on FNC, the Senate has "tabled" the house proposal, and the President will speak from the Rose Garden at 12:30....For what? More rhetoric? More blame the repubs? Good grief!
    Yes and yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    This won't change until America wakes up and realizes that the real anarchists are the political terrorists they elected to office in '12.
    You've seen the movie "Idiocracy"? We're halfway there - America won't realize squat because they've been dumbed down to accept what Pelosi and the Harry Reids of the world peddle since kindergarten.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  7. #37
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Obama Address the Nation on the government shutdown.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Yes and yes.



    You've seen the movie "Idiocracy"? We're halfway there - America won't realize squat because they've been dumbed down to accept what Pelosi and the Harry Reids of the world peddle since kindergarten.

    I am ready for a Latte' how about you?.....heh, heh...
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Obama Address the Nation on the government shutdown.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I do agree with TNE to a point. That said, I do think it's reasonable to say essentially both...that they want an extension so that IF it has to roll out, that it can be rolled out fairly and efficiently across the board AND if possible they can try to stop it entirely.

    I do find it funny how the Democrats are attepmting to paint this singularly as a dereliction of duty on the part of the republicans and comparing them to terrorists or hostage takers for using the shut down as a leverage point. The only reason it's GOTTEN to this point and it's actually viable that the government might shut down is because the congress, Senate LARGELY included, has been entirely derelict of their duty to PASS A BUDGET. For FIVE YEARS now this congress has been completely unable to fulfill one of it's most basic tasks...to pass a BUDGET.

    I can agree with the notion that an EMERGENCY CR, to give time to actually pass a budget, should be a clean bill. Something to simply "continue" what's going on now as the debate is raging on.

    This is not what this is. You do not have "EMERGENCY" continuing resolutions for going on FIVE YEARS.

    The President suggested on NPR that he shouldn't be asked to give up anything to "Fund the government". That's ridiculous in an over arching notion. Budgets ABSOLUTELY have been built upon and created with the notion of compromise and each side giving a bit on what they want. The problem is that for FIVE YEARS, this congress has refused to actually pass a budget up to the Presidents desk. They keep relying on these last minute "emergency" continuing resolutions to simply roll over the same "emergency stimulous" related increased spending because they can claim that it needs to be a "clean" bill.

    No, when you routinely and CONTINUALLY utilize a Continuing Resolution as your defacto Budget you DON'T get the ability to demand that "Clean" bills are the only thing you'll take. When you're CONTINUALLY throw a "temper tantrum" over actually passing a Budget, you don't get to then complain about others throwing a "temper tantrum" when they don't just roll over and let your earlier tantrum off the hook.

    Both sides need to be strung up for this and the focus on one side is ridiculous. Actually pass a ****ing budget for once in HALF A DECADE, through the normal means of give and take, and then perhaps there'd be a good faith reason to put forward short term CR's if a little more debate was needed. But when you ROUTINELY show you will absolutely NOT participate in the budgetary process then I can't fault the House, whose only real power IS the purse strings, to attempt to utilize the only actual pseudo-budgetary bill that the Senate will allow to come to the table.
    Agreed, I'm just tired of the BS games BOTH sides are playing. All the parties involved (The President, the house, and the senate) have played these games far too long. We need a budget, we desperately need reforms and reviews of ALL programs, we need accountability, and we need to get rid of any one of those that want to play these games. This goes beyond conservatism, liberalism, Dems or Reps. Neither side is clean.

  9. #39
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Obama Address the Nation on the government shutdown.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Agreed, I'm just tired of the BS games BOTH sides are playing. All the parties involved (The President, the house, and the senate) have played these games far too long. We need a budget, we desperately need reforms and reviews of ALL programs, we need accountability, and we need to get rid of any one of those that want to play these games. This goes beyond conservatism, liberalism, Dems or Reps. Neither side is clean.
    Agreed, can we get rid of all of them and press the reset button?
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  10. #40
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:47 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,073

    Re: Obama Address the Nation on the government shutdown.

    It's comical that anyone thinks this is a big deal.

    If they'd just leave it this way, and all government did was the bare essentials, this country would thrive like it hasn't in forever.

    These people do far more damage than good to this country.

Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •