Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 501

Thread: Obama Address the Nation on the government shutdown.

  1. #11
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: Obama Address the Nation on the government shutdown.

    Quote Originally Posted by head of joaquin View Post
    The nihilism that is conservatism. Glad you admit it.
    The narcissism that is progressivism. As you typically exhibit it.
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  2. #12
    Sage
    RDS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Last Seen
    10-10-17 @ 05:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,398

    Re: Obama Address the Nation on the government shutdown.

    Quote Originally Posted by cpgrad08 View Post
    Fox news removed the page.

  3. #13
    Educator

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Kingdom of Nigh
    Last Seen
    10-13-17 @ 11:25 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,152

    Re: Obama Address the Nation on the government shutdown.

    Quote Originally Posted by cpgrad08 View Post
    Let it shut down.

    The Repubs first voted to fully fund the government but to de-fund Obamacare, that failed in the Democrat controlled Senate.

    Then the Repubs compromised and agreed to fully fund the government but to delay implementation of Obamacare, same as Obama himself has done to select portions of the law, that failed the Democrat controlled Senate.

    The Republicans compromised but the Dems are pouting that they are not getting everything they want, so they are taking their ball and going home.

    Now Obama is making yet another speech blaming Republicans for not compromising and is blaming them for the shut down....WTF

    Has sanity left Washington completely? Oh never mind, I forgot, it did that a long time ago. Silly me.
    Know the truth and the truth will make you mad, because the truth has no agenda.

  4. #14
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Obama Address the Nation on the government shutdown.

    Quote Originally Posted by Imnukingfutz View Post
    Let it shut down.

    The Repubs first voted to fully fund the government but to de-fund Obamacare, that failed in the Democrat controlled Senate.

    Then the Repubs compromised and agreed to fully fund the government but to delay implementation of Obamacare, same as Obama himself has done to select portions of the law, that failed the Democrat controlled Senate.

    The Republicans compromised but the Dems are pouting that they are not getting everything they want, so they are taking their ball and going home.

    Now Obama is making yet another speech blaming Republicans for not compromising and is blaming them for the shut down....WTF

    Has sanity left Washington completely? Oh never mind, I forgot, it did that a long time ago. Silly me.
    I am curious. How exactly do you consider that compromise? What you described is the Republicans demanding the the affordable care be de-funded, then lowering their demands to merely delaying it. I don't see exactly what benefit the democrats would be getting in said exchange.

  5. #15
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,271

    Re: Obama Address the Nation on the government shutdown.

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    I am curious. How exactly do you consider that compromise? What you described is the Republicans demanding the the affordable care be de-funded, then lowering their demands to merely delaying it. I don't see exactly what benefit the democrats would be getting in said exchange.
    Because gazillions of other including corportaions and unions were exempt. Why shouldn't the American people be as well?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #16
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,732

    Re: Obama Address the Nation on the government shutdown.

    Cancel Halloween. The government shut down.

    What is the over under on getting the government running again?

    I love the fact that the President and Congress are still getting paid.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  7. #17
    Sage
    RDS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Last Seen
    10-10-17 @ 05:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,398

    Re: Obama Address the Nation on the government shutdown.

    OK I got the message: Capital of the free world closed until further notice.

  8. #18
    Educator

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Kingdom of Nigh
    Last Seen
    10-13-17 @ 11:25 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,152

    Re: Obama Address the Nation on the government shutdown.

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    I am curious. How exactly do you consider that compromise? What you described is the Republicans demanding the the affordable care be de-funded, then lowering their demands to merely delaying it. I don't see exactly what benefit the democrats would be getting in said exchange.
    It allows the government to implement it correctly rather than hurrying this thing into place when it isnt ready....the President has picked parts of the law to delay himself because they werent ready.

    What is wrong with getting the thing fixed before you implement it?

    Would you give your kids food that wasnt ready to eat?
    Would you put a vehicle into production that wasnt ready to run?

    As far as the Democrats benefiting...neither party should benefit from it, thats insane, the American people are the ones who should benefit and we wont if this law gets implemented half assed.

    The exchanges arent fully in place yet but they launched them today anyhow. The employer mandate, the waivers to unions and some companies, etc have been delayed by the President for a year, why not get it corrected before they force the American people to participate in it.

    One thing I would like to see myself is Congress and their staffs being made to enter the exchanges un-subsidized and the administration being stripped of their exemptions.

    If it is good enough for us to be forced to participate in then it is good enough for the people in government to be forced to participate in too.
    Know the truth and the truth will make you mad, because the truth has no agenda.

  9. #19
    Wading Through Bull****
    shagg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,475

    Re: Obama Address the Nation on the government shutdown.

    Quote Originally Posted by Imnukingfutz View Post
    It allows the government to implement it correctly rather than hurrying this thing into place when it isnt ready....the President has picked parts of the law to delay himself because they werent ready.

    What is wrong with getting the thing fixed before you implement it?
    So you think republicans just want to make sure obamacare is ready and implemented correctly? You don't think the delay is just buying more time to kill the ACA? You must not be from around here....
    Could It Be Semantics Generating This Mess We're In?

  10. #20
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,253

    Re: Obama Address the Nation on the government shutdown.

    Quote Originally Posted by penn1954 View Post
    Hopefully they'll shut er down !!!!!
    The President shutdown the govt. because of his desire not to negotiate on any part of the bill. He gives exemptions to his friends and campaign contributors but then won't negotiate exemptions for the average American and even the bill that the Democrats created that exempts Congress.

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •