Page 96 of 192 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106146 ... LastLast
Results 951 to 960 of 1913

Thread: CNN Poll: GOP would bear the brunt of shutdown blame [W:176:468]

  1. #951
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,356

    Re: CNN Poll: GOP would bear the brunt of shutdown blame [W:176]

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    howdy pol, you know there are times I just get fed up with the workings of D.C. and take a few days off. Today's politicians in Washington are far more worried about the fate and their political party than America's future.
    : How they can ignore the $17 trillion debt, and what that could mean for all of us, escapes me though! Talk about the very large elephant in the room being ignored! Save me a room at your B&B in the land of smiles! I'll even prepay!

  2. #952
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,948
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: CNN Poll: GOP would bear the brunt of shutdown blame [W:176]

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    : How they can ignore the $17 trillion debt, and what that could mean for all of us, escapes me though! Talk about the very large elephant in the room being ignored! Save me a room at your B&B in the land of smiles! I'll even prepay!
    No politician in Washington is worried about anything except the next election.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  3. #953
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,291

    Re: CNN Poll: GOP would bear the brunt of shutdown blame [W:176]

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    I see no reason for the Democrats to negotiate. The shutdown occured because of the GOP House tied defunding of the ACA to the CR. This was a stupid tactic that at the moment Boehner and company can't find a way out of it. The Republicans would have been better served IMO, to pass the CR without the rider of defunding the ACA. then the chances in November of 2014 after a full year of the ACA with all it worts probably would have delivered the senate to their control.

    IMO the republicans are engaging in this battle at the wrong time with the wrong strategy. With Boehner saying he wouldn't let the government default, why should the Democrats negotiate? All they have to do is wait until that time as they are banking on Boehner not being able to sleep at night if he did let the government default.
    That seems to be the liberal argument but the reality is, the GOP submitted a funding bill and the Democrats rejected it. Spending bills begin in the House, the fact that the Senate rejected the bill means that the Democrats shutdown the govt. The GOP Followed up with funding for essential services but again the Senate said no negotiations. Harry Reid has no problem with Obama giving exemptions to supporters and others including Congressional representatives, preventing House passed bills from getting to the Senate floor for a vote but not exemptions to the American people in general or other funding bills for essential services?

    You are going to see a significant reduction in the deficit due to the sequester and Obama is going to take credit for it. The same holds here, further reductions in the deficit due to the shutdown that Obama is going to take credit for. Sorry but politics as usual for the Democrats and I quite frankly believe the govt. should stay shutdown

  4. #954
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,568

    Re: CNN Poll: GOP would bear the brunt of shutdown blame [W:176]

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    States and local governments are not the US's "neighbors". They are actually a part of the US. It's like you doing your budget and counting the Wife's income. Your analogy sucks.

    Look, the cart compares apples to apples. It uses the same revenue streams from before the recession until now, and it shows how the sum total of those streams has grown since the recession began.
    That doesn't matter, it doesn't suck just because you don't understand it or you refuse to, sorry. You can't just throw in other income to the federal government's income.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  5. #955
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,948
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: CNN Poll: GOP would bear the brunt of shutdown blame [W:176]

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    That seems to be the liberal argument but the reality is, the GOP submitted a funding bill and the Democrats rejected it. Spending bills begin in the House, the fact that the Senate rejected the bill means that the Democrats shutdown the govt. The GOP Followed up with funding for essential services but again the Senate said no negotiations. Harry Reid has no problem with Obama giving exemptions to supporters and others including Congressional representatives, preventing House passed bills from getting to the Senate floor for a vote but not exemptions to the American people in general or other funding bills for essential services?

    You are going to see a significant reduction in the deficit due to the sequester and Obama is going to take credit for it. The same holds here, further reductions in the deficit due to the shutdown that Obama is going to take credit for. Sorry but politics as usual for the Democrats and I quite frankly believe the govt. should stay shutdown
    I think by tying the defunding rider to the CR regardless of how many mini or partial spending bills the house has passed, the house republicans caused this shutdown. But perspectives of the voters maybe another thing. By that I mean the president and senator reid coming on TV saying they refuse to negotiate is starting to wear thin. Not with the democratic base, they love that. But with independents who do not identify with either party. I think that the rise from 17% that blamed both parties to 25% who blame both parties are indies who now think the no negotiation ploy is wrong and speaks of intransigence. They realize for Washington to work, negotiations, compromise, give and take is a must for both parties.

    I think independents are now forgetting who caused or who was responsible for the shutdown and are now starting to concentrate on what is perceived as intransigence. Time will tell as this morning poll is only a snap shot of the day which I compared to the snapshot of 3 October. We shall see.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  6. #956
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,291

    Re: CNN Poll: GOP would bear the brunt of shutdown blame [W:176]

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    I think by tying the defunding rider to the CR regardless of how many mini or partial spending bills the house has passed, the house republicans caused this shutdown. But perspectives of the voters maybe another thing. By that I mean the president and senator reid coming on TV saying they refuse to negotiate is starting to wear thin. Not with the democratic base, they love that. But with independents who do not identify with either party. I think that the rise from 17% that blamed both parties to 25% who blame both parties are indies who now think the no negotiation ploy is wrong and speaks of intransigence. They realize for Washington to work, negotiations, compromise, give and take is a must for both parties.

    I think independents are now forgetting who caused or who was responsible for the shutdown and are now starting to concentrate on what is perceived as intransigence. Time will tell as this morning poll is only a snap shot of the day which I compared to the snapshot of 3 October. We shall see.
    No, sorry, passing a bill doesn't create the shutdown, the Senate by rejecting it did. I think most people have no idea what is going on in D.C. and I see a lot of those same people here. Seems the low Obama JAR is being ignored

  7. #957
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,786

    Re: CNN Poll: GOP would bear the brunt of shutdown blame [W:176]

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    LOL, do you even know what a double dip recession is? there is no such thing as a double dip 6 years later. Unbelievable!!
    Fine. It was a recession which came on the heels of the previous one.

  8. #958
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,786

    Re: CNN Poll: GOP would bear the brunt of shutdown blame [W:176]

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    That doesn't matter, it doesn't suck just because you don't understand it or you refuse to, sorry. You can't just throw in other income to the federal government's income.
    I'm not. I'm looking at one graph and it shows revenue over 10-plus years, falling and then rising again.

  9. #959
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,786

    Re: CNN Poll: GOP would bear the brunt of shutdown blame [W:176]

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    The GOP has offered funding bills for the essential parts of the govt. and the Democrats refuse to negotiate. Obama gave exemptions for backers and supporters but won't negotiate with
    the Republicans. Obamacare is a nightmare and maybe this will help you understand why the GOP is not willing to give in to Democrats?

    Neil Cavuto, Fox News, stated the following directly to President Obama on his daily afternoon program last Thursday. The points he makes just couldn't be made any better.
    ================================================== =
    Obama is blaming Fox News for 2/3 of the country disliking Obamacare. Here's Neil Cavuto's explanation and it is great. If you don't understand what is bad about ObamaCare please read his comments and you will understand.
    ================================================== =
    So, your bias is such an extreme sort that you hold the GOP blameless. Thanks for playing.

  10. #960
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,291

    Re: CNN Poll: GOP would bear the brunt of shutdown blame [W:176]

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Fine. It was a recession which came on the heels of the previous one.
    Pretty big heels 6 years later, don't you think?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •