Page 59 of 192 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109159 ... LastLast
Results 581 to 590 of 1913

Thread: CNN Poll: GOP would bear the brunt of shutdown blame [W:176:468]

  1. #581
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,697

    Re: CNN Poll: GOP would bear the brunt of shutdown blame [W:176]

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Of course it is always the Republican's fault. It was the Republicans Fault even when they didn't control Congress from 2007-2008 and it was GW Bush's fault and Republicans when Obama and the Democrats controlled the WH and Congress from 2009-2011. Don't you ever get tired of being wrong?
    Damage was done from 2001 through 2006---2007 was simply when the SHTF.

  2. #582
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,697

    Re: CNN Poll: GOP would bear the brunt of shutdown blame [W:176:468]

    Quote Originally Posted by francois60 View Post
    Don't you mean $10 trillion? Bush didn't propose an $800 billion stimulus, nor did he increase spending to 25% of GDP.
    No. I meant $16 Trillion. The stimulus was peanuts. The big money was the $4 Trillion for Afghan and Iraq, plus the tax cuts we could not afford.

    But it's important to keep reality in mind. We know exactly what factors are driving the debt, and to say that "the lion's share of this did accumulate under President Obama" is simply absurd.

    We're not talking about opinions here; we're talking about facts.

    And the facts, as we discussed last week, are incontrovertible.

    Towards the end of President Clinton's second term, debt clocks that had been established in various U.S. locations had to be shut down -- the deficit had been eliminated and the clocks had never been set to run backwards. By the time Clinton left office in 2001, the nation not only had a large surplus, it was also on track to pay off the entirety of its debt -- roughly $5 trillion at the time -- by the end of the decade.

    Then the Bush/Cheney era happened.
    http://maddowblog.msnbc.com/_news/20...lion-debt?lite

  3. #583
    Student francois60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Coral Springs, FL
    Last Seen
    02-12-15 @ 03:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    251

    Re: CNN Poll: GOP would bear the brunt of shutdown blame [W:176:468]

    That was pretty big money, but you're acting as if Bush is responsible for all the debt piled up in the Obama years, despite the fact that Obama wanted to keep the bulk of the Bush tax cuts and increased spending from 20% of GDP to 25%.

  4. #584
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,616

    CNN Poll: GOP would bear the brunt of shutdown blame [W:176:468]

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    As were being conceived, your parents were paying their mortgage and living expenses with a 20+ misery index. Like most liberals you don't care nor do you have a clue. Record low interest rates, low inflation made this past recession at least manageable for most Americans.
    Just cause your old and clearly drifting into senility (or maybe the product of bad schools..hard for me to assess) doesn't mean I wasn't quite aware of the early 80s recession.

    It was deep but short and the massive public spending made the economy rebound in two years.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  5. #585
    Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    11-30-13 @ 07:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,293

    Re: CNN Poll: GOP would bear the brunt of shutdown blame [W:176:468]

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    No. I meant $16 Trillion. The stimulus was peanuts. The big money was the $4 Trillion for Afghan and Iraq, plus the tax cuts we could not afford.



    What kind of instructions did the Dems give to the CBO to come up with those numbers? Usually the Dems tell them to cook the books the way they want it to show and it's obvious they did in this chart too. It's a worthless chart.
    "“If we don’t deepen our ports all along the Gulf — places like Charleston, South Carolina; or Savannah, Georgia; or Jacksonville, Florida…” -Obama

  6. #586
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: CNN Poll: GOP would bear the brunt of shutdown blame [W:176:468]

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Right, last time I checked the United States Credit Card was issued by the U.S. Congress. Take a civics course. How many times do I have to prove you wrong before you grow a pair and admit you are wrong?
    I thought the buck stops at the president according to you Con?

  7. #587
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: CNN Poll: GOP would bear the brunt of shutdown blame [W:176:468]

    Quote Originally Posted by francois60 View Post
    That was pretty big money, but you're acting as if Bush is responsible for all the debt piled up in the Obama years, despite the fact that Obama wanted to keep the bulk of the Bush tax cuts and increased spending from 20% of GDP to 25%.
    The problem is BOTH sides like to blame the president when it's the other guy in charge and then when it's their guy in charge they blame congress.

    The simple fact that posters like Conservative and others on the extreme right and left don't understand is this whole problem we have is due to BOTH sides in the presidency AND both houses of congress.

  8. #588
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,697

    Re: CNN Poll: GOP would bear the brunt of shutdown blame [W:176:468]

    Quote Originally Posted by ItAin'tFree View Post
    What kind of instructions did the Dems give to the CBO to come up with those numbers? Usually the Dems tell them to cook the books the way they want it to show and it's obvious they did in this chart too. It's a worthless chart.
    Yeah, facts have a liberal bias. I know.

  9. #589
    Guru

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:28 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,078

    Re: CNN Poll: GOP would bear the brunt of shutdown blame [W:176:468]

    Quote Originally Posted by ItAin'tFree View Post
    What kind of instructions did the Dems give to the CBO to come up with those numbers? Usually the Dems tell them to cook the books the way they want it to show and it's obvious they did in this chart too. It's a worthless chart.
    Of course it's a worthless chart, it tells you what you don't want to hear.

  10. #590
    Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    11-30-13 @ 07:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,293

    Re: CNN Poll: GOP would bear the brunt of shutdown blame [W:176:468]

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    Just cause your old and clearly drifting into senility (or maybe the product of bad schools..hard for me to assess) doesn't mean I wasn't quite aware of the early 80s recession.

    It was deep but short and the massive public spending made the economy rebound in two years.
    That's a good fairy tale. Who reads it to you at night before you go to bed?
    "“If we don’t deepen our ports all along the Gulf — places like Charleston, South Carolina; or Savannah, Georgia; or Jacksonville, Florida…” -Obama

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •