Page 170 of 192 FirstFirst ... 70120160168169170171172180 ... LastLast
Results 1,691 to 1,700 of 1913

Thread: CNN Poll: GOP would bear the brunt of shutdown blame [W:176:468]

  1. #1691
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,538

    Re: Most would blame Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    We'll see how "overwhelming favorable" those provisions are once people have to start paying for them.
    We will, but I suspect that the basic concepts of being able to get insurance without a company sponsored insurance plan will outweigh the costs by a long shot.

    This plan will also lead us onto the path of divorcing health care from employers for good. It may take a decade or two, but the path is there, and that will be much better for the US people, as well as the US economy.

  2. #1692
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: CNN Poll: GOP would bear the brunt of shutdown blame [W:176]

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Not all of them. Southern slaveholders certainly shared your view that slaves should have been counted the same as any other person.
    Yeah, gee I wonder why? Nothing like having your representation in congress governed by how many black people you could own.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  3. #1693
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:36 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Most would blame Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    We will, but I suspect that the basic concepts of being able to get insurance without a company sponsored insurance plan will outweigh the costs by a long shot.
    ?? People always been able to do this. Maybe I missed what you were trying to say.

    This plan will also lead us onto the path of divorcing health care from employers for good. It may take a decade or two, but the path is there, and that will be much better for the US people, as well as the US economy.
    How do you expect that divorcing health care from employers (via Obamacare) will help the economy?

  4. #1694
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,538

    Re: Most would blame Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    ?? People always been able to do this. Maybe I missed what you were trying to say.


    How do you expect that divorcing health care from employers (via Obamacare) will help the economy?
    People could not do this too easily if they had a pre-existing condition. And the prices for that type of insurance were quite high - because the risk pool was much smaller and didnt generally include younger healthier patients - there just wasnt a good mechanism set up to do individual insurance at decent rates. The exchanges will change that considerably, and give subsidies for those who need it.. including entrepreneurs who want to start a business on their own, but were afraid to leave their company because they needed the health insurance. Big win.

    Tying insurance to employment is a drag on our economy. Each business now is in the health care insurance market. The large company I work for actually self insures its employees, thus acting as a mini-health insurance company. This costs a heck of a lot of money. And it distracts the company, and every other company, from doing what they do well, because part of the business is running insurance.

    Remember the concept of how a car has more healthcare costs in it than steel costs? That makes US products and industries less competitive than other nations. WE spend double on health care thru employers for below average results.

  5. #1695
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:36 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Most would blame Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    Remember the concept of how a car has more healthcare costs in it than steel costs? That makes US products and industries less competitive than other nations. WE spend double on health care thru employers for below average results.
    I've never seen any credible evidence to show that our system provides "below average results" - life expectancy and infant mortality statistics are typically used as evidence and neither is a good indicator for quality of healthcare.

    As for the cost difference, the vast majority of the excess occurs after retirement, when people have no employer tie-in and are instead covered by Medicare. Almost half of your lifetime cost will go to end-of-life care alone.

  6. #1696
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,253

    Re: CNN Poll: GOP would bear the brunt of shutdown blame [W:176]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Hey Con....just curious....how many times did you post about your heroes spending sprees and disasterous economic policies? Oh...yeah......right......carry on.
    Since I joined this forum in December 2009 I can say Zero since Bush wasn't in office.

  7. #1697
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,253

    Re: CNN Poll: GOP would bear the brunt of shutdown blame [W:176]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Yes I did.What is it going to take to get you to admit that "taking responsibility for yourself" and "neighbors helping neighbors" are diametrically opposed?
    Obviously not because you ignored what TX is getting from the Federal Govt. and why

  8. #1698
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,538

    Re: Most would blame Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I've never seen any credible evidence to show that our system provides "below average results" - life expectancy and infant mortality statistics are typically used as evidence and neither is a good indicator for quality of healthcare.

    As for the cost difference, the vast majority of the excess occurs after retirement, when people have no employer tie-in and are instead covered by Medicare. Almost half of your lifetime cost will go to end-of-life care alone.
    Read Aaron Carrolls series on this. Heres the conclusion:
    How do we rate the quality of the US health care system

    And for your convenience, heres the start:
    How do we rate the quality of the US health care system – Introduction | The Incidental Economist

  9. #1699
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,762

    Re: CNN Poll: GOP would bear the brunt of shutdown blame [W:176]

    Will the next GOP candidate for TX Gov. be affected by this shutdown, the thread title?
    Do you support the slander of McCain by Gohmert saying McCain supported al Qaeda along with the rest of his 'Values Voter' vomit??
    Did you support your Gov. using 9 billion from the stimulus to balance your budget, ripping the stim all the while?
    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Since I joined this forum in December 2009 I can say Zero since Bush wasn't in office.
    Physics is Phun

  10. #1700
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,253

    Re: CNN Poll: GOP would bear the brunt of shutdown blame [W:176]

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    Will the next GOP candidate for TX Gov. be affected by this shutdown, the thread title?
    Do you support the slander of McCain by Gohmert saying McCain supported al Qaeda along with the rest of his 'Values Voter' vomit??
    Did you support your Gov. using 9 billion from the stimulus to balance your budget, ripping the stim all the while?
    No
    No
    Yes

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •