Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 174

Thread: Boy punished for air soft guns in yard

  1. #141
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,875

    Re: Boy expelled for air soft guns in yard

    The school bus stop is school property. I learned this in my CHL class last Saturday. The boys shot their airsoft guns at students that were standing on school property. That is not for debate.

    I had a Daisy BB gun at about the same age. You never point a gun at another person. That and treat all guns as loaded is all you really need to know about gun safety. Them boys got in trouble. If I had done similar with my BB gun, I would have been suspended, had my BB gun taken away, and been grounded for months.

    No sympathy from me.

  2. #142
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,821

    Re: Boy punished for air soft guns in yard

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    A airgun is not a firearm,a firearm launches a projectile by the means of an explosive. A airgun does not do this. This did not happen on school property.So the school has absolutely no business punishing students for things that happen off of school grounds.What a child does off school property is none of the school's business.
    Semantics. They aren't being treated as though they shot someone with a gun. (that tends to involve prison time)

    Bus stop counts as school grounds during the pickup and dropoff process.

    And it's the second time these kids have proven themselves irresponsible with a dangerous device.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #143
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,990

    Re: Boy expelled for air soft guns in yard

    Quote Originally Posted by d0gbreath View Post
    The school bus stop is school property. I learned this in my CHL class last Saturday. The boys shot their airsoft guns at students that were standing on school property. That is not for debate.
    It's not? Quote me where in the story it says the other boys being shot at were standing at the bus stop. I must've missed that because I don't remember that being stated.

  4. #144
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,875

    Re: Boy expelled for air soft guns in yard

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    It's not? Quote me where in the story it says the other boys being shot at were standing at the bus stop. I must've missed that because I don't remember that being stated.
    The boys were suspended because they shot two other friends who were with them while playing with the guns as they waited for the school bus September 12.
    If they are waiting for the school bus, they are on school grounds, no matter where they are standing at the time. Yes, even in someone's yard.

  5. #145
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,990

    Re: Boy expelled for air soft guns in yard

    Quote Originally Posted by d0gbreath View Post
    If they are waiting for the school bus, they are on school grounds, no matter where they are standing at the time. Yes, even in someone's yard.
    That says they were waiting for the school bus, that does not say they were at the bus stop.

    My bus stop was very near my home while growing up. It wasn't uncommon for me and the neighbor kids to play around in the yard prior to the bus coming as we were waiting; heading down to the stop a minute before it typically came or just as we saw it pulling to the stop.

    Notice to the left of your bolded comment where it says "other friends who were with them while playing", and notice in the story where it notes that the location of WHERE they were playing...in their yard, not at the bus stop.

    -edit-

    Just re-read yourp ost and realized you weren't claiming he was at the bus stop but rather that the bus stop (and school property) is just literally anywhere a child is if someone claims the child is "waiting for the bus". Okay, now you have to explain something else. How does MY property that I own and pay taxes on become the Schools Property. I need something more than just you claiming it to back that outrageous claim up.

  6. #146
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,875

    Re: Boy expelled for air soft guns in yard

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    That says they were waiting for the school bus, that does not say they were at the bus stop.

    My bus stop was very near my home while growing up. It wasn't uncommon for me and the neighbor kids to play around in the yard prior to the bus coming as we were waiting; heading down to the stop a minute before it typically came or just as we saw it pulling to the stop.

    Notice to the left of your bolded comment where it says "other friends who were with them while playing", and notice in the story where it notes that the location of WHERE they were playing...in their yard, not at the bus stop.

    -edit-

    Just re-read yourp ost and realized you weren't claiming he was at the bus stop but rather that the bus stop (and school property) is just literally anywhere a child is if someone claims the child is "waiting for the bus". Okay, now you have to explain something else. How does MY property that I own and pay taxes on become the Schools Property. I need something more than just you claiming it to back that outrageous claim up.
    My claim is not outrageous. If a teacher was to bring students to a public park for whatever activities, the park area becomes school grounds while the students are there.

    If I was in the same park area, carrying a concealed weapon, I could be arrested for carrying concealed on school grounds. Of course, no one would know and everything would be alright.

    The front yard is in proximity with the bus stop and students are known to play there while waiting for the bus. That front yard is therefore considered school grounds during the hours of the day that the students will be there.

  7. #147
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,875

    Re: Boy punished for air soft guns in yard

    The school's so-called "zero-tolerance" policy on guns extends to private property, according to the report.
    from:

    7th-graders suspended for playing with airsoft gun in own yard | Fox News

  8. #148
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,462

    Re: Boy expelled for air soft guns in yard

    Quote Originally Posted by d0gbreath View Post
    My claim is not outrageous. If a teacher was to bring students to a public park for whatever activities, the park area becomes school grounds while the students are there.

    If I was in the same park area, carrying a concealed weapon, I could be arrested for carrying concealed on school grounds. Of course, no one would know and everything would be alright.

    The front yard is in proximity with the bus stop and students are known to play there while waiting for the bus. That front yard is therefore considered school grounds during the hours of the day that the students will be there.
    Can you post a legal ruling of some kind of this property conversión? The presence of students does not change other peoples rights or take them away.

    Thanks

  9. #149
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Boy punished for air soft guns in yard

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    I can't wait to see this defended. It seems zero tolerance should be for the real thing. Boys have been known to show up with real guns in back packs. No tolerance for that is appropriate.


    VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) - A seventh grade Virginia Beach student previously suspended for shooting an airsoft gun has been expelled, WAVY.com has learned.

    During a hearing Tuesday morning, Aidan Clark was expelled in a unanimous vote. The fate of Khalid Caraballo remains unknown at this time.

    Like thousands of others in Hampton Roads, Khalid Caraballo plays with airsoft guns. Caraballo and his friend Aidan were suspended because they shot two other friends who were with them while playing with the guns as they waited for the school bus.

    The two seventh graders say they never went to the bus stop; they fired the airsoft guns while on Caraballo's private property.

    Aidan’s father, Tim Clark, told WAVY.com what happened next lacks commons sense. The children were suspended for possession, handling and use of a firearm.


    WAVY - Has zero tolerance gone too far | WAVY.com | Virginia Beach
    He wasn't even AT SCHOOL - and he was expelled? Goddamn - how is that even LEGAL?

    Apparently we need to pass legislation that defines the limit of school authorities. . . and they did this without having to give legal justification? The suspension was bad enough.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  10. #150
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,990

    Re: Boy expelled for air soft guns in yard

    Quote Originally Posted by d0gbreath View Post
    My claim is not outrageous. If a teacher was to bring students to a public park for whatever activities, the park area becomes school grounds while the students are there.

    If I was in the same park area, carrying a concealed weapon, I could be arrested for carrying concealed on school grounds. Of course, no one would know and everything would be alright.

    The front yard is in proximity with the bus stop and students are known to play there while waiting for the bus. That front yard is therefore considered school grounds during the hours of the day that the students will be there.
    Again, provide my some link or evidence that verifies your statement other than just you saying it if you expect me to buy that. Because on the surface it doesn't make sense. For example, if smoking in a public park is legal in a state but illegal to do "on school grounds", what you're saying is someone smoking in a park would be violating hte law if a teacher brought kids to the park because it suddenly officially becomes "School grounds". This makes zero sense. Without something to substantiate your claim other than "I was told this in a class" why should anyone believe it?

    As to the link you posted...yes, the SCHOOL states they feel their zero tolerance policy expands to private property. Note, that's not them saying that private property becomes "school grounds", but that they simply feel their zero tolerance policy extends anywhere. Beyond that, of COURSE the school is going to state they feel that their policy allows them to do what they did...they're not going to come out and claim they COULDN'T do what they did.

    For something you say there's "no debate" about, there's a hell of a lot of debate.

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •