Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 306

Thread: One man's ObamaCare nightmare[W:51]

  1. #51
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,960

    Re: One man's ObamaCare nightmare

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post

    Alright Mr. Undisclosed. what say you?

    Tim-
    Quote Originally Posted by Comunitee.com View Post
    All right, Mr. "Very Conservative":
    Moderator's Warning:
    One man's ObamaCare nightmare[W:51]This stops now, and the personal comments sprinkled about by others. Stick to the topic, which is not each other.
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We can’t get lost in discrimination. We can’t get lost in B.S. We can’t get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: One man's ObamaCare nightmare

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    OMG one person who was buying bargain basement health insurance has their rates go up? Yes, and what happens when you get sick on bargain health insurance before obamacare? Oh yeah, they deny your claim and slap you into high risk and drop your coverage. Now they will have to pay and keep on covering you. So the healthy customer insurance scam where they charge you until you claim and then refuse to cover you is over. now they actually have to provide some specific levels of care, and they cannot take money for the illusion that they will be there when you get ill because now they have to be there. 300 dollars a month family insurance was a scam to begin with. The guy should be thrilled no one ever needed it.

    Then he doesn't even shop around for a better deal? Come on, go find a lower price insurance carrier. Of course they are going to tell you everyone is the same price, because they don't want you to go shopping around for the best deal. That guy is a friggen moron. They have four people on the insurance. You were not going to touch a real plan for under a grand before obamacare anyway. Oh, and the article fails to mention they will get subsidies to pay for it so the taxes they are paying will go directly to their health care and not to some other thing. What is the cost after the subsidies? Oh, of course dumb ass faux news doesn't mention that. Wouldn't want to let people know he might end up paying the same thing or less in the end anyway after he gets done.

    Just more manipulative BS from the right on how obamacare is going to suck.
    it does suck, it has ruined people that had great insurance and as we can see it is even screwing people that can't afford it. It is typical democrat legislation.

  3. #53
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,388

    Re: One man's ObamaCare nightmare

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    What they're locked into is the federal law that 1) prohibits high-deductible plans, 2) forces coverage of extra stuff, and last but not least, offers a fake promise of subsidies to families when in fact the subsidy only applies to the spouse's coverage, and leaves families with hugely more expensive health insurance.

    In other words, the 9.5%-of-income cap does not apply to one's children and therefore families have to fork over all this ADDED (not reduced) cost by themselves. It's called the "family glitch."
    Expect parents who previously happily paid for insurance for their children to now be intentionally not covering their kids because it's simply become unaffordable thanks to the law ****ing it up.
    You are reading too much Republican propaganda. Non-partisan studies have much more optimistic data. It is true that some will pay more for the better coverage they get but most of it will be covered by subsidies. Instead of all this doom and gloom why not look at those studies that predict lower rates than CBO projections that will reduce the costs of the Govt. subsidies substantially.

    “While premiums will vary significantly across the country, they are generally lower than expected. For example, we estimate that the latest projections from the Congressional Budget Office imply that the premium for a 40-year-old in the second lowest cost silver plan would average $320 per month nationally. Fifteen of the eighteen rating areas we examined have premiums below this level, suggesting that the cost of coverage for consumers and the federal budgetary cost for tax credits will be lower than anticipated."
    Obamacare Premiums Will Be Cheaper Than Expected, Study Finds - Forbes
    Could all the good news be the reason there is such a frantic fear about Obamacare being implemented? I think so.
    If the news was bad the Republicans would just let the "train wreck" happen, wouldn't they?

  4. #54
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: One man's ObamaCare nightmare

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    You are reading too much Republican propaganda. Non-partisan studies have much more optimistic data. It is true that some will pay more for the better coverage they get but most of it will be covered by subsidies. Instead of all this doom and gloom why not look at those studies that predict lower rates than CBO projections that will reduce the costs of the Govt. subsidies substantially.
    What reduces the cost of the government subsidies substantially is that many families may not get them, because of the family glitch.

    Republican propaganda?

    The worst problem in the Affordable Care Act, Clinton said, is a provision related to healthcare coverage for families.

    In some cases, one family member might be able to affordably insure himself or herself through an employer, but not the rest of the family. And the rest of the family could not receive tax subsidies to buy coverage through the healthcare law's exchanges.

    "It's obviously not fair, and it's bad policy," Clinton said. -- LINK
    The issue has recently received attention, especially after former president Bill Clinton highlighted it in a recent speech.

    "The family glitch is definitely a drafting error that Congress made that needs to be fixed," said Joan Alker, executive director of the Georgetown University Center for Children and Families. "But that seems unlikely."
    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman
    Could all the good news be the reason there is such a frantic fear about Obamacare being implemented? I think so. If the news was bad the Republicans would just let the "train wreck" happen, wouldn't they?
    If you want to just sit back and play the speculation card about politicians' hidden motives, I suppose that's up to you. The rest of the nation though, especially middle class families, may need to be ready to figure out how they're going to make ends meet without leaving their children uninsured.
    Last edited by Neomalthusian; 09-24-13 at 07:03 PM.

  5. #55
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,388

    Re: One man's ObamaCare nightmare

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    What reduces the cost of the government subsidies substantially is that families won't get them, because of the family glitch.

    Republican propaganda?





    If you want to just sit back and play the speculation card about politicians' hidden motives, I suppose that's up to you. The rest of the nation though, especially middle class families, may need to be ready to figure out how they're going to make ends meet without leaving their children uninsured.
    So let's work to fix that glitch. No one said the act was perfect. You want to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

  6. #56
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,634

    Re: One man's ObamaCare nightmare

    Quote Originally Posted by Snappo View Post
    God knows where you get your insurance. In New York State, the cheapest I found was Blue Cross Blue Shield and it's $1,500 a month for a husband, wife, and child under 25. And for that $1,500 a month they won't even guarantee you that plan beyond 12/31/2013. In fact, Blue Cross told me to just continue to go without insurance until October 1st and then do the new insurance online. My COBRA ran out, but even with my company contributing towards COBRA I still had to pay $880/month on top of whatever they contribute. And it wasn't even BCBS. It was a crappy PPO with United Healthcare. There is nowhere in NY that you can get anything even close to the $550 a month you quote, even with huge deductibles and even with a fly-by-night nobody insurance company. I tried to get just hospitalization and was willing to pay for doctor visits and pharmacy, and even that catastrophic medical insurance was $1,200 a month. Obamacare can't get here soon enough!
    Every state has a different insurance commission and different rules on the policies, rates and who can sell. One big hurdle we had was finding agents who were 'certified' to do insurance in our state. We were constantly advised to stay far,far, FAR away from Blue Cross. I have slept since then so can't recall right off the bat why. Might be an Oklahoma thang. We ended up going through the Lighthouse group- want to say the actual company is Chesapeake. but each state is different.

    Our plan is FAR from ideal, limited doctor visits and co-pays on everything, but (knock wood) we really don't do much with doctor's now that birth control is behind us and the breast Xray was a free bee.

    Best of luck to you, one thing we worried about was having a lapse in coverage might increase the payments or put us on a time out for a few months before full coverage kicked in.

  7. #57
    Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    11-30-13 @ 07:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,293

    Re: One man's ObamaCare nightmare

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    So you think it is new for health insurance prices to go up? They have doubled in the last 10 years.
    LOL. I wasn't the one telling lies and ramming this disaster down the throats of the American people. Re-read this lie that was used right before it was passed, "which means your premiums will go down.” It was the President and his co-conspirators that were spreading this lie and many others to increase the number of suckers that thought this might be a good idea. They were asking people to disregard common sense and trust them, their useful idiots did and still do.

    But notice now that the selling point has been proven an outright lie, how some people now want to disregard it and pretend some other aspect of this train wreck still makes it a good idea. Bad ideas don't get better with time. Obama has already proven that with the number of waiver's he keeps signing to avoid an early collapse of this idea.
    "“If we don’t deepen our ports all along the Gulf — places like Charleston, South Carolina; or Savannah, Georgia; or Jacksonville, Florida…” -Obama

  8. #58
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: One man's ObamaCare nightmare

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    OMG... one person had a bad experience. What a compelling argument to scrap the whole program? Wait, someone was shot by a gun. Let's ban all guns.

    Anecdotes rarely make good arguments.... but you showed me yours, so I'll show you mine.

    Study: Health Law Protected Young Adults From High Hospital Bills – Capsules - The KHN Blog

    OK... so score tied: one anecdote to one anecdote....


    wait, mine talks about 3.1 million people and yours deals with just one family.... so you'll just have to find another 3 million to get in the game...
    He is just one example of millions...Wake up and smell the roses.
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  9. #59
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,634

    Re: One man's ObamaCare nightmare

    Quote Originally Posted by CalGun View Post
    This is a great post, perfect illustration of how a socialist / lefty runs away to hide. Toss out the beloved "every swinging Richard" and run and hide behind one beloved answer. If you live in NY I'm told that obamacare is a God send and likely to reduce costs. For 4 other states I'm told its a wash, and for 45 states its going to cost us more. Leave it
    to a fanatical extreme leftist to care less about what it does to his fellow man - any fellow man - so long as it empowers him to take from those who earned it and give it to
    himself.
    Laughing, just wanted to show folks how highly partisan folks see only 'the other guy' as unbelievable. One issue a highly partisan person wants to believe then ANY claim is gospel. My personal account is of no account but any mouth breather can claim he used a firearm to defend himself and that is a hook, line, sinker deal...

    Again Pappa john's meltdown is ignored and an 'I am told' undocumented story about what happened in what unnamed states has full faith and credit in the CON world.

    Now I live in Oklahoma, I doubt my insurance rates will go down, but what is covered might improve. I do know no Californian is going to be paying a slim dime on my bills so why all that noise is being puked up is beyond me.

    But I do understand the need to create a strawman position to argue against when the real facts can't be discussed....

  10. #60
    Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    11-30-13 @ 07:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,293

    Re: One man's ObamaCare nightmare

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    I really haven't looked into it. There have been so many horror stories about our HC system for so many years, I have become immune. That's why we need the AHC act.
    I do know that if I were them I would drop that company like a hot potato and find insurance on the exchanges. That's the beauty of the AHC system you are no longer locked into one company.
    Well if you are implying that competition is a good thing to help control prices (it is) than you should want nothing to do with Obamacare. Health insurance companies are already refusing to play in some states. The pool of options to chose from has shrunk and is still shrinking.
    "“If we don’t deepen our ports all along the Gulf — places like Charleston, South Carolina; or Savannah, Georgia; or Jacksonville, Florida…” -Obama

Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •