Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 306

Thread: One man's ObamaCare nightmare[W:51]

  1. #41
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,373

    Re: One man's ObamaCare nightmare

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    And for the family in the OP -- tripling next year alone. What, do you think the OP story is just an outright fabrication?
    I really haven't looked into it. There have been so many horror stories about our HC system for so many years, I have become immune. That's why we need the AHC act.
    I do know that if I were them I would drop that company like a hot potato and find insurance on the exchanges. That's the beauty of the AHC system you are no longer locked into one company.

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: One man's ObamaCare nightmare

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Dropping people from an insurance policy is tantamount to a breach of contract. That can be dealt with... withOUT banning high-deductible plans or forcing insurance companies to offer new benefits they previously did not.
    Do you know what the consequences are for the insurance company deciding it is OK to breach their contract? Let me explain how it goes. They do not pay, and someone is on the hook for the services they said they would pay for. So while you engage in all the fun of trying to argue with them, go hire a lawyer to fight that, and spend lots of cash and time you probably do not have because you work the place that gave you the medical service wants their money. So the doctor or hospital makes you delinquent and then trashes your credit while you fight with the insurance company making any other plans you might have had like buying a house, getting a car, or just getting a loan for something like paying for a lawyer a lot harder. Yes, it can be dealt with, but the reality is that you should not have to, and making it as hard as possible to get your contracted payment results in many people simply losing money while the insurance company occasionally gets away with not paying because it is simply more costly to fight. It is one of the ways insurance companies save money. Things like this and diagnosis like pre-diabetic and pre-cancer are great ways they came about to get rid of high risk or high cost people. Those conditions do not require a dime in treatment, but they become pre-existing conditions which as soon as your insurance is gone you no longer could get insurance. Just a small point, when you get divorced and have children you might be required to get them health insurance and that BS pre-existing condition prevents you and your child from being covered.

    There is a huge reason there was a demand for health care reform. these are just a few of the lovely ways insurance companies love to screw people over. This is why people wanted something, and obama got it for them. Yes, some of these issues are now handled due to the regulations on insurance companies through obamacare. It is not just a health care mandate.


    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    A $300 a month plan has a higher deductible, but the total out-of-pocket maximum costs (premiums + deductible + coinsurance) are not very different between high-deductible and low-deductible plans, when you actually do the math.
    300 dollars a month insurance for a family of four was a scam. It was not going to cover many things anyway, and if it was supposed to good luck in getting a company like that to pay. Lioke I said, this guy got bargain basement insurance once, but now he won't bother shopping around? That is the article manipulating the fact the guy will go out and shop around. plus the fact the article fails to mention the subsidies that would lower the costs for a real plan with coverage the article admits is superior shows they do not want an honest representation of what was going on, and people like you do not look any further than the claims fix noise makes no matter how often their lie and distort the truth because you simply hate obama. If this was called the republican alternative to universal healthcare, which is what it is, you would be jumping for joy over paying for it.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-03-13 @ 04:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    376

    Re: One man's ObamaCare nightmare

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    My wife and I had Humana as private insurance- high deductible (5K), no on going health care issues, and no riders to cover the high deductible such as AFLAC.

    550 a month.

    We asked about a plan with riders to cover cancer and serious illness (the AFLAC style riders) well they claimed to not offer such but could put together a plan with other insurance carriers- 830 a month IIRC.

    We now have a different company with riders, a dental plan, and a vision care thing.

    343 a month.

    You don't take the gubmint's word without question, why do you take Humana's as if it is the 11th commandment????

    Like Pappa John's and that Florida franchise owner of I think it was Denny's.... They claim one thing, but simple math shows they are just being petty, partisan asses....
    God knows where you get your insurance. In New York State, the cheapest I found was Blue Cross Blue Shield and it's $1,500 a month for a husband, wife, and child under 25. And for that $1,500 a month they won't even guarantee you that plan beyond 12/31/2013. In fact, Blue Cross told me to just continue to go without insurance until October 1st and then do the new insurance online. My COBRA ran out, but even with my company contributing towards COBRA I still had to pay $880/month on top of whatever they contribute. And it wasn't even BCBS. It was a crappy PPO with United Healthcare. There is nowhere in NY that you can get anything even close to the $550 a month you quote, even with huge deductibles and even with a fly-by-night nobody insurance company. I tried to get just hospitalization and was willing to pay for doctor visits and pharmacy, and even that catastrophic medical insurance was $1,200 a month. Obamacare can't get here soon enough!

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denio Junction
    Last Seen
    11-13-14 @ 12:09 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,039
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: One man's ObamaCare nightmare

    This is a great post, perfect illustration of how a socialist / lefty runs away to hide. Toss out the beloved "every swinging Richard" and run and hide behind one beloved answer.

    If you live in NY I'm told that obamacare is a God send and likely to reduce costs. For 4 other states I'm told its a wash, and for 45 states its going to cost us more. Leave it
    to a fanatical extreme leftist to care less about what it does to his fellow man - any fellow man - so long as it empowers him to take from those who earned it and give it to
    himself.


    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    So every swinging Richard who claims a firearm has protected them is Assad?

    If MSNBC reported ACA was greatly reducing ONE person's insurance bill you'd accept that as gospel???

    Your words define petty partisan hack quite well. NO effort to check ANYTHING Faux Noise says. Refusal to believe anything anyone says when it goes against your mindset.

    Pappa John was shown to be a partisan hack- but you refuse to admit that. I can only think you are clueless what privately purchased healthcare costs and the HUGE differences in cost, coverage, co-pays, networks, deductibles and what is covered as approved treatments.

    But you keep making a strawman figure to argue against, you are clueless and speak the language of a petty partisan hack.

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denio Junction
    Last Seen
    11-13-14 @ 12:09 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,039
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: One man's ObamaCare nightmare

    Without those "lazy" CEO's your "hard working" would be desolate and poor. Of course you wouldn't understand that because you want what they have given too you because you don't know how to earn it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Comunitee.com View Post
    All right, Mr. "Very Conservative": How would you bring down health care costs? It appears the Republicans in Congress have one alternative to Obamacare, which is "do nothing." I'm asking you to suggest something. What's your idea?



    Got a link?

    Face it, "the lazy who won't work for it" are the CEOs, and "the hard-working people" aren't paid enough to afford health insurance. Once you admit this, you will have joined the real world.

  6. #46
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,105

    Re: One man's ObamaCare nightmare

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Just one example on how Obama care will screw you..........Biggest Ponzi scheme in the history of this country.


    One man's ObamaCare nightmare | Fox News
    OMG... one person had a bad experience. What a compelling argument to scrap the whole program? Wait, someone was shot by a gun. Let's ban all guns.

    Anecdotes rarely make good arguments.... but you showed me yours, so I'll show you mine.

    http://capsules.kaiserhealthnews.org...ospital-bills/

    OK... so score tied: one anecdote to one anecdote....


    wait, mine talks about 3.1 million people and yours deals with just one family.... so you'll just have to find another 3 million to get in the game...

  7. #47
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: One man's ObamaCare nightmare

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    Do you know what the consequences are for the insurance company deciding it is OK to breach their contract? Let me explain how it goes. They do not pay, and someone is on the hook for the services they said they would pay for.
    That is not what this thread is about. That is a separate issue. Companies deceiving customers and not covering what the customer was led to believe he was getting is a civil law issue that has nothing to do with PPACA tripling health insurance premiums for families. Please stop trying to distract from the thread topic.

    300 dollars a month insurance for a family of four was a scam.
    No it is not a scam. It's a high-deductible plan. If the family paid $1,100 a month and has a decent amount of things covered and a lower deductible, the out-of-pocket maximum expenditure might be around $16,000, whereas the lower premium but higher deductible might result in an out-of-pocket maximum expenditure of $16,800.

    Look at the insurance options and do the math for yourself. When you add up the premiums, deductibles and co-insurance, you will see a variance of out-of-pocket maximum health expenditures of maybe only a few thousand dollars. The difference is that some people prefer to automatically spend over 10 grand a year on premiums and 5 grand in deductibles and coinsurance, whereas others prefer to spend less than 5 grand on the premiums and up to 10 or 12 grand on health care (deductibles and coinsurance) if they end up needing it.

    Until PPACA came along, anyway, which now takes away the high-deductible choice that many families prefer.
    Last edited by Neomalthusian; 09-24-13 at 06:18 PM.

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-03-13 @ 04:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    376

    Re: One man's ObamaCare nightmare

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    LOL....the Repubs are shaking in their boots trying to keep the ACA from taking effect because they know that when it does, it is going to cover thousands of Americans who didn't have coverage before....and people are going to see that the GOP has been engaging in propoganda and scare tactics. This is just another nail in the GOP coffin in ever hoping to avoid becoming a regional political party.
    I have voted Libertarian Party for a long time. Last time I didn't was when I voted for GB-1 a couple of decades ago. If Obamacare gets me medical insurance (I pay for my own doctors and pharmacy and have no insurance at all), I will vote for DNC until the day I die. I suspect that a lot of Americans have no idea how scary it is to know that you are one heart attack, one cancer diagnosis, or one stroke away from losing every penny in your SEP KEOUGH, your 401K, and losing the house you paid on for 30 years; but that is exactly what Obamacare will fix. In Central New York, only one BCBS carrier even exists, and they have pre-existing condition clauses and charge over $1,500 a month even if you are out of work. They flat out said they would not cover my wife's diabetes medicines, doctor visits related to diabetes, or any serious hospital issues related to diabetes. They will take your $1.5K but you have to pay for your own medical care related to conditions you had before you bought BCBS. Best thing you can do in America now is refuse to give the hospital your name (or give them a fake name) and force them to treat you anyway. This country is really becoming the third world.

  9. #49
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: One man's ObamaCare nightmare

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    I really haven't looked into it. There have been so many horror stories about our HC system for so many years, I have become immune. That's why we need the AHC act.
    I do know that if I were them I would drop that company like a hot potato and find insurance on the exchanges. That's the beauty of the AHC system you are no longer locked into one company.
    What they're locked into is the federal law that 1) prohibits high-deductible plans, 2) forces coverage of extra stuff, and last but not least, offers a fake promise of subsidies to families when in fact the subsidy only applies to the spouse's coverage, and leaves families with hugely more expensive health insurance.

    In other words, the 9.5%-of-income cap does not apply to one's children and therefore families have to fork over all this ADDED (not reduced) cost by themselves. It's called the "family glitch."

    Expect parents who previously happily paid for insurance for their children to now be intentionally not covering their kids because it's simply become unaffordable thanks to the law ****ing it up.

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-03-13 @ 04:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    376

    Re: One man's ObamaCare nightmare

    Quote Originally Posted by CalGun View Post
    If you live in NY I'm told that obamacare is a God send and likely to reduce costs.
    Maybe good insurance exists in NYC (Downstate NY), but in Central NY there are no carriers other than BCBS Excellus. None. And I am being told in Upstate NY it's just as bad (I have friends in Rochester and Bufffalo). But Central NY - nothing. Even the farm bureau put me in touch with some company that wanted $2,000 a month with a pre-existing condition clause (USI Effinity). I live in a town where it's all farms, and every other farmer I know has no insurance. Since leaving the Air National Guard and becoming involved with the USAF Civil Air Patrol (I wanted to learn to fly), I lost my Tricare from Uncle Sam. I'm sure if I was in dire straits I could probably go to a VA hospital for care, but I don't think there is one within 150 miles of me. Obamacare will be a godsend to Central and Upstate NY.

Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •